Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Explore and trade securities from both local and global markets with Singapore's largest broker.
UTRADE is the online trading platform of UOB Kay Hian (UOBKH), Singapore’s largest broker based on shareholder’s equities.
With UTRADE, investors may tap into multiple assets classes available from markets in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China and the US, anytime from both web and mobile devices. To help streamline the trading process, UTRADE is equipped with a wide array of advanced tools and services – from live prices to robo-investing.
Find out more about how you can trade on UTRADE, as well as its fees and services in our guide.
- Reputation – Largest broker in Singapore
- Daily market reports such as the latest news and market analysis
- Incentive for when you trade with UTRADE
Not so great for
- Limited global exchange options
- High brokerage fees and commission
- No MyInfo verification
What's in this guide?
What is UOB Kay Hian?
UOB Kay Hian (UOBKH) is a global investment firm that provides a range of brokerage services, as well as investment banking, wealth management and financial research. Headquartered in Singapore, UOBKH is backed by UOB Group and operates a wide network of over 80 branches across the world.
What investments do UTRADE offer?
You can trade the following investments through UTRADE:
- Bonds. Bonds are debt investments issued to investors in return for lending their money to the issuer, which is typically corporate or government. In return, investors will receive fixed coupon payments from the bond issuer.
- Equities. Buying or holding a company’s shares makes you the partial owner of the company. This means that you’re allowed to participate in its growth, vote on certain business matters and decisions. Some equities pay out dividends based on its financial performance.
- Contracts For difference (CFDs). The contractual agreement between two parties to settle the difference between opening and closing price. CFDs allow customers to participate in the price movement of an underlying product without actually owning the asset, which can be a share, an index, a commodity or more.
- Contract for Difference 10 (CFD 10). Trade CFD Equities with a small capital outlay (up to 10x the actual value of the asset).
- CFD Equities. A leveraged way to buy and short shares through margin.
- CFD Indices. A financial instrument that allows investors to track and trade (leverage up to 20x) underlying indexes, which are mostly based on a basket of blue-chip stocks.
- Daily leverage certificates (DLCs). A structured financial instrument that provides investors with the potential to gain fixed leverage of 3 to 7 times the daily performance of the underlying index, be it a rising or falling market. Do note that DLCs are high-risk financial products.
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Invest in a diversified portfolio of securities from a range of asset classes and markets, which are traded on exchanges like shares. Hence, ETFs are priced and traded throughout the day.
- Leveraged Foreign Exchange (LFX). A leveraged trading instrument in foreign exchange, which involves the simultaneous buying or selling of two currencies known as a currency pair.
- Margin Trading. Access extra capital from UTRADE and leverage on your trading position. When you trade securities on margin, the purchased assets form the collateral for the loan.
- Robo Advisory. A customised portfolio tailored to suit your investment objectives and managed by a digital fund manager.
- Unit trusts. Unit trust is a form of collective investment which pools investor’s money into a single fund managed by professional fund managers. The pooled funds are actively invested in different assets such as stocks, bonds, money market instruments, a combination of these investments or even other funds.
Key features of UTRADE
UTRADE is designed to keep its users informed on investment trends and streamline the trade process. Here are the main features available on all UTRADE online trading platform:
What research does it provide?
Gain invaluable insights and stock picks from UOBKH’s award-winning research team, which comprises of over 50 analysts and industry experts.
- Market monitor. Daily review of the Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, US market, with the latest stock picks and industry news.
- Regional morning notes. Daily update of the regional market, including key overviews such as market sentiment, sector analysis and stock picks.
- Daily FX commentary. Keep in the loop with daily commentary on the forex market.
- CFD trading note. Short ideas or picks on CFD from global markets available on UTRADE
- Special focus. Learn more about trading with UTRADE’s range of investment topics and tactical trading strategies.
- IPO. Discover upcoming IPO listings and make sound investment decisions based on the latest findings.
Types of accounts offered by UTRADE
UOB Kay Hian offers a myriad of account types, catering to diverse trading needs. Find out which UOBKH trading account is suitable for you:
|Account Type||Key Features|
|Securities Trading Account|
|UTRADE Edge Account|
|UTRADE Plus Account|
|Share Margin Financing (SMF)|
|YieldMax Margin Account|
|Spot Diamond Trading|
Pricing and fees
Here’s the lowdown on the fees and commissions UTRADE charges for SGX trades:
|Trading amount (SGD)||Commission (Online)|
|Minimum commission||S$25 / US$19 / A$20 / HK$139|
|S$50,000 and below||0.275%|
|Above S$50,000 – S$100,000||0.22%|
If you wish to enhance your trading experience, UTRADE also offers some additional features that are available on a subscription basis:
|Service||Subscription period||Subscription fee (inclusive of GST)|
|SGX Market Depth||3-month||S$80.25|
|SMS Stock Alerts||3-month||S$32.10|
|HK Live Prices||3-month||S$160.50|
|US Live Prices||3-month||S$26.75|
Fees are accurate at the time of writing (15 May 2020).
Other transaction charges such as a CDP imposed clearing fee (0.0325%) and SGX trading fee (0.0075%) will be applied on the gross contract amount. There’s also an SGX Settlement Instruction (SI) Fee of $0.35 per settlement. All brokerage fees and other charges are subjected to 7% GST.
For all other fees and charges, please refer to the UTRADE fee schedule under ‘Fees and commission’, on their website.
Is UTRADE safe?
To protect clients’ online trades, the platform is well-equipped with security features such as:
- Multiple firewalls. All incoming data goes through several safety checks before reaching UTRADE’s internal systems to deter malicious activities.
- 128-bit SSL encryption. All information exchanged on the secure pages is encrypted to protect your data from getting tampered with before being transmitted to UTRADE’s server.
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS). Round-the-clock network security to prevent UTRADE’s websites and systems from any intrusion.
- Unique user ID and password. Secured portions of the system are password-protected to ensure that transactions will only be authorised with a valid user ID and password.
How do UTRADE keep my money safe?
UTRADE is regulated by The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and holds a Capital Markets Services (CMS) license under the Securities and Futures Act (SFA), so it is mandatory to comply with all regulations designed to safeguard its clients’ funds.
Pros and cons
- Access advanced tools. Benefit from UTRADE’s sophisticated features such as ShareXplorer and TechAnalyzer to navigate market movement and trade effectively.
- Convenience. Conduct a trade anytime, anywhere with UTRADE web trading platform or UTRADE mobile app.
- UTRADE ROBO. UOB Kay Hian’s robo advisor utilise automated solutions and algorithms to help you create diversified and multi-asset portfolios, built using low cost ETFs.
- Incentives. UTRADE offers incentives such as trade rebates and cash vouchers to reward investors for trading on the platform.
- Limited global exchanges. UTRADE only facilitates trades from markets in five countries: SGX, Bursa, HKEx, HK –Shanghai/Shenzhen Stock Connect and US (NYSE, NYSE ARCA, NASDAQ and AMEX).
- Higher than average brokerage fees. UTRADE’s platform fee (minimum $25) and commission (0.275%) are amongst the highest in Singapore.
- No MyInfo verification. Unlike many other banks and local brokerage, UTRADE does not have the option for Singpass holders to prefill their application details with MyInfo.
How do I apply for a UTRADE account?
You can apply online for a UTRADE trading account (for Individual Securities Trading Account, CFD, Leveraged Products only) if you’re over 18 and you’re a Singaporean, Singapore permanent resident or foreigner with a valid work visa. To apply, head to the UOB KayHian website and click on the ‘Open An Account’ button to initiate the sign-up process.
You’ll be enrolled in the Online Trading Facility once you’ve successfully applied for the securities trading account, which provides access to multi-markets as well as electronic monthly statements and contracts.
Central Depository (CDP) Account
To start investing in the Singapore securities market, you’ll need to open a Central Depository (CDP) account. If you do not have an existing CDP account, you’ll need to sign up for CDP account online before applying for a UTRADE account.
- Singaporeans/Permanent Residents:
- Front and back photocopy of your NRIC
- Valid passport
- Work permit or employment pass (if applicable)
- Proof of residential address (dated within the last 3 months): e.g. Teleco bills/utility bills/bank statement/letters issued by government bodies
- Latest income documents (e.g. Pay slip, IR8A)
- Latest 3 months bank statement
- Bank account information (if you apply for GIRO/EPS)
- CDP account number
- CPF investment account (optional)
- Taxpayer identification number details
How do I contact UTRADE support?
If you have any enquiries, you may reach UTRADE directly through the following contact details:
- General hotline: +65 6536 9338
- Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), 8.30 am to 5.30 pm
- Night desk (US trading): 10 pm to 2 am (Standard Time) and 9 pm to 1 am (Daylight Saving Time)
- Live chat: Available on UTRADE website during business hours.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Overall, UTRADE is a reliable online trading platform that is suitable for most users. It offers convenience and sufficient tools to help investors conduct price analysis, keep informed on market movements and execute trades with ease.
However, if you’re an investor looking for the lowest fees, new cutting edge trading tools, free demo account and a host of educational materials, you may want to look somewhere else.
Frequently Asked Questions
More guides on Finder
Review: FTX cryptocurrency exchange
Trade cryptocurrency, derivatives and speculate on stocks with this fully-featured exchange created “by traders, for traders”.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Singapore
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Singapore.
How to buy Roblox (RBLX) shares from Singapore
Everything we know about the Roblox IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Where can I find cheap stock brokerage in Singapore?
Looking for a cheap way to buy and sell shares on the SGX and other international exchanges? Your guide to finding cheap stock brokerage in Singapore here.
Alternatives to Robinhood in Singapore
You can’t access Robinhood in Singapore, so here are five low-cost alternatives to trade US stocks.
What’s happening with GameStop stock, and the dangers of buying in
Retail investors are driving up GameStop’s stock in droves, causing trading service outages and panic among Wall Street hedge fund managers.
How to buy stock in Airbnb (ABNB) in Singapore
This vacation-rental giant has finally gone public. Learn how to invest in Airbnb in Singapore.
KGI Securities Review
Learn more about KGI Securities’ online and mobile trading platform, KTrader and whether it suits your investment style.
MCO Visa card review
The MCO Visa card is a mobile cryptocurrency wallet and prepaid card that allows you to hold, convert and spend crypto with ease.