Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Rewards Program
Find out how Singapore Airline’s KrisFlyer credit card program can provide you with flight upgrades, lounge access and more.
Updated . What changed?
Joining a frequent flyer program allows you to redeem your accumulated reward points for flights, flight upgrades, and other travel rewards, which is what you can expect from Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer frequent flyer program.
Members earn miles when they fly with Singapore Airlines or any of its airline partners, as well as when they spend through any of its non-airline partners.
As a KrisFlyer member, you also get access to a number of special offers from time to time. Let’s take a look.
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Rewards Program credit cards
About Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
The origins of Singapore Airlines date back to May 1947, when a Malayan Airways Limited Airspeed Consul took off from Singapore Kallang Airport and flew to Kuala Lumpur. In the late 1960s, its annual revenue touched the one billion dollar mark for the first time and the airline has gone from strength to strength ever since. It launched KrisFlyer, its frequent flyer program, in 1999.
When you become a member of the KrisFlyer frequent flyer program you get to earn miles each time you fly with Singapore Airlines or any of its partner airlines, and when you shop with their non-airline partners. However, since this is not the only rewards program of its kind, comparing a few before enrolling is a good idea.
Which banks can transfer rewards points to Singapore KrisFlyer Miles?
- American Express. Earn 1.1 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 charged to your American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card and 1.2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 charged to your AMEX Singapore Airlines Krsiflyer Ascend Credit Card.
- DBS. Up to 3 DBS miles earned for every S$1 on eligible transactions charged to your DBS Altitude Card. DBS miles is awarded in the form of DBS points, which can be converted to KrisFlyer miles at the rate of 1 DBS point to 2 KrisFlyer miles.
- Citi. Convert 1 KrisFlyer mile for every 1 Citi Mile point. You can earn 1.2 City Miles for every S$1 charged to your Citi PremierMiles Visa Card.
- UOB. Earn 0.4 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1 charged to your KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card plus 1 KrisFlyer mile for every S$1 saved on your KrisFlyer UOB Account. Up to a maximum of 5.4 KrisFlyer miles earned per dollar. Terms and conditions apply.
- Maybank. Convert TREATS Points to KrisFlyer miles with a participating Maybank credit card. Get 5,000 KrisFlyer miles for every 12,500 TREATS Points.
What is the KrisFlyer Rewards Program?
The KrisFlyer rewards program gives you the ability to earn and redeem miles in various ways. Singapore Airlines is part of the Star Alliance network, so you stand to earn miles when you fly using any airline that is part of this network as well as some of the airline’s other flight partners. You can also earn miles through Singapore Airline’s non-airline partners, including credit card providers, hotel chains, car hire companies and more.
You can redeem your miles for flight rewards to over 1,000 destinations in more than 170 countries with Singapore Airlines and any of its partner airlines. You also have the option to convert your KrisFlyer miles to TapForMore Points, which you can use to get non-flight rewards.
Flying more often brings with it the possibility of moving to higher membership tiers that offer increased benefits.
Features of KrisFlyer Membership
When you sign up as a new KrisFlyer member, you’ll start off at the base level. Depending how often you fly and shop with non-airline partners, you can steadily move up to elite silver and elite gold level. The benefits you can get from KrisFlyer points will depend on your membership level:
- KrisFlyer Basic. At this level, you can redeem your miles for flight tickets and flight upgrades, and you can save exclusive discounts on advance seat selection and pre-purchased additional baggage. You’ll also receive regular updates about the latest promotions.
- KrisFlyer Elite Silver. You can get to the elite silver level if you earn 25,000 Elite miles within 12 consecutive months. When you get to this level, you also make it to the Star Alliance Silver status, which gives you access to priority reservation waitlist and priority airport standby services. You get 25% tier bonus on KrisFlyer miles, and you can look forward to reduced or waived KrisFlyer service fees.
- KrisFlyer Elite Gold. Earning 50,000 Elite miles within 12 consecutive months gets you to the Elite Gold level. Here, you get Star Alliance Gold status, through which you can make use of priority reservation waitlist and priority airport standby services. This level offers the following benefits as well.
- Access to Star Alliance Gold lounges
- Priority check-in
- Priority boarding
- Priority baggage handling
- Excess baggage allowance
- Reduced or waived KrisFlyer service fees
Benefits of being a KrisFlyer member
As a KrisFlyer member you can look forward to a number of benefits, which include the following:
- Earn and redeem miles. This, without doubt, is the primary benefit of this frequent flyer program. You can redeem your miles for flights and flight upgrades through Singapore Airlines and SilkAir, through Star Alliance partners, and through its other airline partners like TAM, Virgin, and Vistara. If you don’t have enough points to redeem for a particular flight reward, you can consider buying the required miles. If you don’t want flight rewards, you can convert your miles to TapForMore Points which you can redeem through your PAssion Card.
- Online redemption discount. Aside from redeeming miles on flights, members also get an exclusive discount on advance seat selection and pre-purchased additional baggage.
- PPS Club. Membership to this club is only open to people who frequently travel in First or Business Class on Singapore Airlines or SilkAir, or in the Singapore Airlines Suites onboard the Singapore Airlines A380. It requires that you earn 50,000 in PPS Value within your first PPS Club membership year to qualify. Then earn a total of 25,000 in PPS Value to renew your PPS Club membership for another year. Membership brings with it a 25% tier bonus on the actual miles flown, as well as a class bonus when flying Singapore Airlines or SilkAir. PPS members get Star Alliance Gold status automatically.
Below are some of KrisFlyer’s partners who have provided KrisFlyer members the opportunity to earn additional KrisFlyer miles:
- Alila Hotels and Resorts
- Park Regis
- Travelling Connect
- Club 21
- The Economist
- TIME and FORTUNE magazines
Credit card partners
- American Express
- UOB (Singapore)
- Westpac (Australia)
- BOC (China)
- JCB (Japan)
- Mitsui Sumitomo (Japan)
- BCA (Indonesia)
How do I join KrisFlyer?
You can enrol in the KrisFlyer program online, and to submit an online application for a credit card, simply click on the ‘Go to Site’ button in the table above.
To apply, you have to provide the following information:
- Your complete name, gender, date of birth, and nationality
- Your email address
- Name you want displayed on your KrisFlyer card
- A six-digit PIN
- Your correspondence address
Anyone over the age of two years can apply for membership unless the law in your country prohibits you from doing so.
Pros and cons of the KrisFlyer Membership
- Earn miles. This, without doubt, is the biggest benefit of the KrisFlyer frequent flyer program, and you get to earn more points if you spend at partner merchants.
- Multiple partner airlines. The long list of partner airlines not only helps you earn miles easily, but this network is useful when it comes to redeeming your points as well. Some of the popular names on this list include Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, South African Airways, Thai Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, and Vistara.
- Added travel benefits. As you move up membership tiers, you can look forward to additional benefits like priority check-in, priority boarding, priority baggage handling, excess baggage allowance, priority reservation waitlist, and priority airport standby.
- Expiry of miles. Your KrisFlyer miles expire in three years, so you have to make sure you keep using your points or they could end up going waste.
Frequently asked questions
Is KrisFlyer membership free?
Yes – it’s free to become a KrisFlyer member.
Do KrisFlyer miles expire?
KrisFlyer miles typically expire three years after they are earned. Be aware that, owing to Covid-19, Singapore Airlines has introduced some extensions to Krisflyer Membership, and we’d encourage you to check with the provider directly if you’re unsure of your miles or membership status.
Does the KrisFlyer program allow redemption nominees?
Yes. KrisFlyer members can nominate up to five individuals for whom they can redeem miles for rewards. They can give such nominees the authority to collect tickets for flight rewards on their behalf.
Can I use a combination of miles and cash to pay for flight rewards?
Yes, but you can increase your miles using cash only if you have at least half of the miles needed to redeem any given flight reward. You can, in such a scenario, buy blocks of additional miles at the rate of US$40 per 1,000 miles.
How do KrisFlyer flight upgrades work?
You have to start by purchasing a commercial ticket in an eligible booking class. When flying Singapore airlines, you can use your miles to upgrade from economy to business class or from business class to first class/suites. When flying SilkAir, you can upgrade from economy to business class. You can also get upgrades to the next cabin class onboard select Star Alliance partners.
More guides on Finder
Best Shopping Credit Cards
Discover the benefits you can get in-store and online with a shopping credit card.
Rewards current accounts
Benefit from cashback, points and more when you manage your finances with a rewards current account.
Free travel insurance with credit cards
Travel with peace of mind and save on holiday costs with a credit card with complimentary travel insurance.
Citi PremierMiles Card Review
If you’re after a travel card that can help you accumulate miles and save at the same time, the Citi PremierMiles Card is worth looking into.
Invitation-only credit cards in Singapore
Learn about invitation-only credit cards in Singapore, including the typical eligibility requirements for these exclusive cards.
Standard Chartered rewards programme
Find out how Standard Chartered cardholders can redeem a wide range of rewards through the 360° Rewards programme and The Good Life program.
Maybank rewards programmes 2021
What you need to know about the Maybank TREATS Points Rewards Programme, the Maybank Frequent Flyer Programme and the Rewards Infinite Programme.
Black Credit Cards Comparison
Black credit cards offer premium benefits including reward, airport lounge access, concierge services and high credit limits.
KrisFlyer UOB Credit Card Review
Earn 3 KrisFlyer points for every dollar you spend with Singapore Airlines, Scoot and Silk Air and take advantage of exclusive airline privileges.
American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card Review
Top up your KrisFlyer balance with the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer card and get a decent return on your everyday credit card use.