Samsung Pay is a secure mobile payment service that allows you to make contactless purchases in-store or online just your Samsung devices, without the bulkiness of your wallet or physical cards.
Learn how Samsung Pay works, how to set it up and how it compares to other digital wallet solutions in this guide, plus see a comprehensive list of the Singaporean banks that currently offer Samsung Pay.
Banks offering Samsung Pay compatible cards in Singapore
Here are the banks in Singapore that offer a Samsung Pay compatible card:
Note: Banks may restrict certain or all of their cards from making mobile payments, so do check directly with the bank if your card is compatible with Samsung Pay.
What is Samsung Pay?
Samsung Pay is a digital wallet that works with specific Samsung devices, allowing them to communicate with payment terminals at most retailers. Like a physical wallet, this Android app allows you to store up to 10 debit and credit cards, as well as other barcode-based loyalty and membership cards.
How does Samsung Pay work?
Simply put, Samsung Pay is a digital version of your existing wallet that stores all your card information securely. By downloading Samsung Pay, you can make purchases by tapping your phone or smartwatch on the terminal in the same way that you’d use your debit card to make a contactless payment.
To get a bit more technical, Samsung Pay uses a new proprietary technology called the Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) and Near Field Communication (NFC), which utilises a chip embedded within your smartphone to connect to a terminal in place of your debit card. This chip communicates to a merchant’s point-of-sale terminal within seconds and enables the payment to be processed in the same way a debit card works.
How to add a debit or credit card to Samsung Pay
You may add and manage up to 10 credit/debit cards on your device in just a few steps:
- Check compatibility. To set up Samsung Pay, you’ll first need to make sure you have an eligible phone, as well as an eligible debit card from a participating bank.
- Launch the app. Tap on the Samsung Pay app to begin.
- Navigate to Menu. Click on ‘Menu’ located in the top left corner.
- Add your credit/debit card. Tap on ‘Add card’ (blue card icon), followed by ‘Add credit/debit card’ and input your card security details. You’ll also need to agree to the card’s terms and conditions.
- Start using Samsung Pay. Once your card is verified, you’ll be able to make payments through Samsung Pay.
Can I use Samsung Pay if I travel abroad?
Samsung Pay works at any store or ATM where your physical card would be accepted. If your card issuer lets you use your physical card when travelling outside Singapore, the digital card in Samsung Pay should work as well. Do note that the card issuer’s terms and conditions will still apply to all foreign purchases made using Samsung Pay.
Click the tab to see a full breakdown of countries and regions that support Samsung Pay.
Compare debit cards with Samsung Pay
How do I use Samsung Pay?
To pay for your purchases with Samsung Pay, you’ll be required to complete a three-step payment process, which typically only takes a couple of seconds in total:
- Launch Samsung Pay. Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to launch Samsung Pay.
- Authorise your transaction. Complete a simple transaction verification by using your fingerprint, face ID or PIN.
- Tap your device. Once verified, proceed with the payment by tapping or hovering your phone above the contactless terminal
Is Samsung Pay safe?
Absolutely! When you add a card to Samsung Pay, rest assured that your card details are not actually stored directly on the device.
Instead, the app uses tokenisation to complete your transactions. This means that each time a purchase a made, your device sends two pieces of data to the payment terminal — a 16-digit token that represents the credit or debit card number, and a one-time code generated by your phone’s encryption key.
So in many ways, it’s actually safer compared to using your physical debit card to make purchases since you won’t risk misplacing your card or leave it visible for others to copy your card’s number.
How do I use Samsung Pay on my Samsung Watch?
With Samsung Watch, you can make payments conveniently with a simple flick of your wrist. The benefit of a Samsung Watch is that you can travel even lighter, meaning you can still make purchases without your physical wallet or even your phone.
An example of when a Samsung Watch would be handy is if you’re going for a run and you don’t want to have to carry your phone with you, but you’d like to be able to purchase a post-run meal.
To use Samsung Pay on your Samsung Watch, you’ll first need to add your card to the watch. You can do this via the Galaxy Wearables app on your phone. Once your card is successfully added, you can use your Samsung Watch to make purchases.
How to make purchases quickly and easily with Samsung Pay:
Back to top
- Simply hold down the ‘Back’ key on your watch
- Enter your 4 digit PIN
- Select the card you would like to pay by tapping on the ‘Pay’ button
- Hover your watch over the NFC terminal to successfully complete the transaction (you’ll need to complete the payment within 60 seconds)