Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Rewards debit cards
Get more value out of your everyday purchases with a rewards debit card.
A rewards debit card is linked to your transaction account and allows you to earn rewards when you use your debit card to make purchases. There are different rewards programs on offer, allowing you to accrue everything from Qantas frequent flyer points, to perks like free wine or shopping discounts.
If you want to join a reward program without the stress of accumulating interest, a rewards debit card could be the solution.
What's in this guide?
- Your reward debit card options below
- How do I get rewards from my debit card in Singapore?
- Bank accounts and debit cards with perks
- Compare a range of debit cards in Singapore
- What types of rewards can I get in Singapore?
- How do I compare debit cards that offer rewards?
- Are there any benefits or drawbacks to using a rewards transaction account?
- What are the risks?
- The questions you never thought to ask
How do I get rewards from my debit card in Singapore?
When you open a rewards transaction account with a Singapore bank or financial institution, you will be issued a debit card to help with making purchases and withdrawing funds. Your debit card will typically be linked to either the Mastercard or Visa network.
The card is automatically linked to a rewards program – allowing you to earn or redeem the particular reward. For example, you need to use your DBS/POSB debit card at a participating restaurant to redeem your 1-for-1 offer.
Bank accounts and debit cards with perks
|DBS Debit Card|
|UOB One Debit Card|
|HSBC Everyday Global Debit Card|
|OCBC Yes! Debit Card|
|PAssion POSB Debit Card|
Note: Information provided is accurate at the time of writing (31 August 2020)
Compare a range of debit cards in Singapore
What types of rewards can I get in Singapore?
In order to receive the most value from your transaction account rewards program, it is important to analyse what rewards will benefit you most. These will include such things as:
- Points to dollar ratio. Check to see how many points you are earning for every dollar that you spend.
- Bonus points. Some programs will give you bonus points for using your reward debit card while shopping with their partners or even just having a balance in your account.
- Cashback offers. Carefully read the terms and conditions to make sure you’re eligible for the cashback. Typically you’ll get 1 to 3% back of a purchase amount.
- Promotions. Most debit cards offer time-limited promotions with the bank’s partner merchants, so you may be entitled to discounts and freebies when you spend at these establishments with your card.
- Prizes. In some cases, you can win prizes for making a transaction too.
What reward type is best for me?
Points are typically more beneficial for frequent flyers whereas cashback offers tend to be more beneficial for those who don’t travel much. Many frequent flyer programs let you redeem points from a partner airline. Discounts and prizes are an added bonus and can suit any type of rewards recipient.
How do I compare debit cards that offer rewards?
- Fees. Check to see if you are going to have to pay any monthly or annual fees for the use of your reward debit card.
- Joint accounts. You can increase your point earning potential if the bank allows additional cards to be issued for the same account.
- Daily limits. Look closely to ensure that you are not limited in how much you can purchase daily using your reward debit card.
Are there any benefits or drawbacks to using a rewards transaction account?
- There is usually no annual or monthly fee. Unlike reward credit cards, reward debit cards generally don’t charge a monthly fee.
- Your credit rating doesn’t matter. Unlike a credit card, you don’t have to worry about being turned down for a reward debit card due to your credit history.
- Don’t need to worry about accumulating debt. Since the money is being withdrawn from your available funds, you are not accumulating any debt by making purchases with a reward debit card.
- You earn reward points. Your everyday shopping expenditures may accumulate reward points or cashback.
- You receive an average return. Debit cards typically have a lower earn rate and there are a few restrictions around cashback. It may not necessarily be the best value in terms of redeeming rewards, but at least you’re using your own money and avoiding an annual fee.
- Spending limitations. You are limited with the amount of money you can spend by what is available in your transaction account.
What are the risks?
Not only is a reward debit card linked to a rewards account, it is also a direct line to the funds available in your transaction account. You should always keep that in mind to avoid the following:
- Don’t get too carried away. Having the same ability to make purchases as you would with a credit card, you could be tempted to spend money on items that you normally wouldn’t.
The questions you never thought to ask
More guides on Finder
Neat Business review
Learn how Neat works in Singapore and what your business stand to gain with their e-payments platform.
UOB Delight Credit Card Review
Get bonus rebates on groceries, contactless transactions and household bills with the UOB Delight Credit Card.
UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card Review
Earn rewards on your daily spending and save on shopping, dining, petrol and more with the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card.
UOB Professionals Platinum Card Review
Earn generous rewards when you spend with the UOB Professionals Platinum card including perks on dining, shopping and fuel.
UOB JCB Card Review
Earn accelerated rebates and get a one-year fee waiver with the UOB JCB Card.
UOB UnionPay Platinum Card
Earn 2% cash rebates with no minimum spend, enjoy fuel savings and more with UOB.
Education Loans in Singapore (2021)
Find out the options you have to help meet the cost of your higher education.
Best credit card hotel promotions 2021
Learn about how to reap the rewards of hotel promotions while using your credit card.
Best credit card travel promotions in Singapore
Signing up for a credit card with travel promotions can help you save money on your next trip away.