Rewards debit cards
Get more value out of your everyday purchases with a rewards debit card.
A rewards debit card is linked to your transaction account and allows you to earn rewards when you use your debit card to make purchases. There are different rewards programs on offer, allowing you to accrue everything from Qantas frequent flyer points, to perks like free wine or shopping discounts.
If you want to join a reward program without the stress of accumulating interest, a rewards debit card could be the solution.
What's in this guide?
- Your reward debit card options below
- How do I get rewards from my debit card in Singapore?
- Bank accounts and debit cards with perks
- What types of rewards can I get in Singapore?
- How do I compare debit cards that offer rewards?
- Are there any benefits or drawbacks to using a rewards transaction account?
- What are the risks?
- The questions you never thought to ask
How do I get rewards from my debit card in Singapore?
When you open a rewards transaction account with a Singapore bank or financial institution, you will be issued a debit card to help with making purchases and withdrawing funds. Your debit card will typically be linked to either the Mastercard or Visa network.
The card is automatically linked to a rewards program – allowing you to earn or redeem the particular reward. For example, you need to use your DBS/POSB debit card at a participating restaurant to redeem your 1-for-1 offer.
Bank accounts and debit cards with perks
|DBS Debit Card|
|UOB One Debit Card|
|HSBC Everyday Global Debit Card|
|OCBC Yes! Debit Card|
|PAssion POSB Debit Card|
Note: Information provided is accurate at the time of writing (31 August 2020)
What types of rewards can I get in Singapore?
In order to receive the most value from your transaction account rewards program, it is important to analyse what rewards will benefit you most. These will include such things as:
- Points to dollar ratio. Check to see how many points you are earning for every dollar that you spend.
- Bonus points. Some programs will give you bonus points for using your reward debit card while shopping with their partners or even just having a balance in your account.
- Cashback offers. Carefully read the terms and conditions to make sure you’re eligible for the cashback. Typically you’ll get 1 to 3% back of a purchase amount.
- Promotions. Most debit cards offer time-limited promotions with the bank’s partner merchants, so you may be entitled to discounts and freebies when you spend at these establishments with your card.
- Prizes. In some cases, you can win prizes for making a transaction too.
What reward type is best for me?
Points are typically more beneficial for frequent flyers whereas cashback offers tend to be more beneficial for those who don’t travel much. Many frequent flyer programs let you redeem points from a partner airline. Discounts and prizes are an added bonus and can suit any type of rewards recipient.
How do I compare debit cards that offer rewards?
- Fees. Check to see if you are going to have to pay any monthly or annual fees for the use of your reward debit card.
- Joint accounts. You can increase your point earning potential if the bank allows additional cards to be issued for the same account.
- Daily limits. Look closely to ensure that you are not limited in how much you can purchase daily using your reward debit card.
Are there any benefits or drawbacks to using a rewards transaction account?
- There is usually no annual or monthly fee. Unlike reward credit cards, reward debit cards generally don’t charge a monthly fee.
- Your credit rating doesn’t matter. Unlike a credit card, you don’t have to worry about being turned down for a reward debit card due to your credit history.
- Don’t need to worry about accumulating debt. Since the money is being withdrawn from your available funds, you are not accumulating any debt by making purchases with a reward debit card.
- You earn reward points. Your everyday shopping expenditures may accumulate reward points or cashback.
- You receive an average return. Debit cards typically have a lower earn rate and there are a few restrictions around cashback. It may not necessarily be the best value in terms of redeeming rewards, but at least you’re using your own money and avoiding an annual fee.
- Spending limitations. You are limited with the amount of money you can spend by what is available in your transaction account.
What are the risks?
Not only is a reward debit card linked to a rewards account, it is also a direct line to the funds available in your transaction account. You should always keep that in mind to avoid the following:
- Don’t get too carried away. Having the same ability to make purchases as you would with a credit card, you could be tempted to spend money on items that you normally wouldn’t.
The questions you never thought to ask
More guides on Finder
Guide to using debit cards overseas
Using your debit card in a foreign country is safe and convenient, but make sure to enable it for overseas use and look out for fees.
Cashback debit cards
Earn rebates and get more value out of your purchases with a cashback debit card.
Best Visa debit cards
Make payments conveniently at over 61 million merchants across the world with a Visa debit card. Find out which banks in Singapore offer them.
POSB Digital Banking review
POSB digital banking helps you manage your money anytime, anywhere.
UOB Uniplus Savings Account review
The UOB Uniplus Savings account is ideal for everyday transactional banking. Find out if it suits your needs and apply securely.
Citibank Debit Mastercard review
Find out about the Citibank Debit Mastercard features and fees in this review.
OCBC debit cards
Discover the features and perks offered by the various OCBC debit cards.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
We put MoneyGram and Western Union side by side to help you make a decision for your next local or international payment.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Maybank Platinum Debit Card review
Cardholders can enjoy convenient day-to-day transactions and comes with a host of features with the Maybank Platinum Debit Card.