Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Finder review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our hands-on product reviews.
Here at Finder, our team of experienced reviewers spends hours rigorously testing products to determine an overall score as well as individual scores for design and performance. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers determine each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Size and weight. How heavy and bulky is it? Is it portable?
- Materials. What is it made of? Does it feel cheap or high quality?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the product easier or harder to use? What physical controls does it have?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What’s included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
- Display. Is there a screen? How big is it? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see it clearly in all lighting conditions?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Usability. Is it easy to use? Does the product live up to expectations? Is there anything about the product that doesn’t work as expected?
- Features. Are all features accessible? Do they work as described? Is the product missing anything you’d expect to see?
- Smart features. Does the product have smart capability?
- App. Is there an app? If so, how easy is it to navigate and use? Is there anything missing from the app that you’d expect to see?
With certain products, such as mobile phones and tablets, the performance score can be further broken down into scores for battery life and camera(s).
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design and performance, the price and how it compares to other available products. For example, a coffee machine could have high scores for design and performance, but an exorbitant price tag might bring down the overall score.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Camera and battery life (if relevant)
- How it compares to the rest of the market
Our team of journalists has more than 40 combined years of experience reviewing products. While our scores reflect the value we give each product, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a product differs from ours, we’d love to hear from you.
We review products as we get them. For some products, software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the product. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Finder values its editorial independence, basing all review scores on objective analysis independent of commercial relationships. However, Finder may receive compensation when you click some of the links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners and why you can trust our guides.
More guides on Finder
MCO Visa card review
The MCO Visa card is a mobile cryptocurrency wallet and prepaid card that allows you to hold, convert and spend crypto with ease.
DBS Multiplier vs OCBC 360 account
Looking for the best high-yield savings account? Compare between the DBS Multiplier and OCBC 360 accounts and learn how each one works.
Gweniss discount codes and coupons October 2020 | 25% off with code
Steeped in character with stylish finishings and sourced with care, purchase a bag today and save with a Gweniss promo code.
How to buy stock in Snowflake (SNOW) in Singapore
Learn how to invest in Snowflake in Singapore.
Revolut Metal Card review
Understand the fees and features that come with Revolut’s highest account tier — the Revolut Metal.
Kids savings accounts in Singapore
Set your little ones up for financial success with kids’ savings account.
Review: Remitly money transfers
Read our review of Remitly to discover why this fast, competitive option may be the best choice for your next international money transfer.
Car insurance excess
Learn about excess insurance and how it affects you if you need to make a claim on your car insurance.
How can I reduce the cost of my car insurance?
Find out how to lower your car insurance premiums without missing out on the cover you need.
Revolut Standard card review
Learn about the perks, fees and sign-up process for a Revolut Standard Account card.