Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Finder review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our hands-on product reviews.
Here at Finder, our team of experienced reviewers spends hours rigorously testing products to determine an overall score as well as individual scores for design and performance. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers determine each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Aesthetics. How does the product look?
- Size and weight. How heavy and bulky is it? Is it portable?
- Materials. What is it made of? Does it feel cheap or high quality?
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the product easier or harder to use? What physical controls does it have?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof? Is it kid-friendly?
- Set-up. What’s included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
- Display. Is there a screen? How big is it? How vibrant are the colours? Can you see it clearly in all lighting conditions?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Usability. Is it easy to use? Does the product live up to expectations? Is there anything about the product that doesn’t work as expected?
- Features. Are all features accessible? Do they work as described? Is the product missing anything you’d expect to see?
- Smart features. Does the product have smart capability?
- App. Is there an app? If so, how easy is it to navigate and use? Is there anything missing from the app that you’d expect to see?
With certain products, such as mobile phones and tablets, the performance score can be further broken down into scores for battery life and camera(s).
To determine the overall score, we consider the scores for design and performance, the price and how it compares to other available products. For example, a coffee machine could have high scores for design and performance, but an exorbitant price tag might bring down the overall score.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Camera and battery life (if relevant)
- How it compares to the rest of the market
Our team of journalists has more than 40 combined years of experience reviewing products. While our scores reflect the value we give each product, there is a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with a product differs from ours, we’d love to hear from you.
We review products as we get them. For some products, software updates and improvements can occur after the time of the review, changing the performance of the product. When possible, we aim to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Finder values its editorial independence, basing all review scores on objective analysis independent of commercial relationships. However, Finder may receive compensation when you click some of the links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners and why you can trust our guides.
More guides on Finder
NTUC Income Car Insurance Review
Choose between three comprehensive cover options and score policy discounts with NTUC Income.
Sompo Car Insurance Review
Get 24/7 emergency help, enjoy loyalty discounts and more with Sompo.
Meet Singapore’s new digital banks
The four winners for the digital bank licenses in Singapore has been finalised. Find out how it’ll benefit retail customers and SMEs in Singapore.
Alternatives to Robinhood in Singapore
You can’t access Robinhood in Singapore, so here are five low-cost alternatives to trade US stocks.
How to buy Databricks stock in Singapore when it goes public
Here’s everything we know so far about the Databricks IPO.
Circles.Life Singapore Review
Love data? You’ll love Circles.Life. Get up to 100GB of data for as low as $38 each month.
Harvey Nichols discount codes February 2021 | Sign up and get exclusive deals from Harvey Nichols
Cut costs on your next splurge at Harvey Nichols with one of our discount codes.
Best debit cards in Singapore for 2021
The right debit card is one that is best suited for your needs and lifestyle. We have highlighted some of the most outstanding debit cards in Singapore and the perks they offer.
Finder’s 2021 Bitcoin Predictions Report
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.