Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to open a bank account online
Open a new personal bank account online in 4 easy steps.
Who need bank queues? It only takes about 10 minutes to securely open a bank account online. All you need is to provide some basic information about yourself and upload your identification documents.
Here’s how to find the right bank account for you and open it online in four simple steps.
4 steps to open a bank account online
Follow these steps to open a bank account online.
Step 1: Compare accounts to find the right one
Shop around to find the best bank account. Find the right account and order products by standout features such as the monthly service fee or ATM fees by clicking the arrows in the table headings. You can compare accounts by the card type, the ATM withdrawal fee and the minimum monthly balance required to avoid incurring a fall-below fee (if any).
These are the main features of a bank account; however, there are additional fees that may apply, you can find this information listed on our bank account review pages. You can also go directly to the bank account provider’s website and the secure online application from the comparison table if you’re ready to apply.
Step 2: Apply for your account online
Almost all major banks in Singapore allows you to apply for an account online directly from their website without having to visit a branch. Depending on your residency status and whether you’re a new or existing customer, you may apply through the following methods:
- Existing savings or current account holders. Check if you can apply for a new account instantly from your Internet/mobile banking platform or through an ATM. If you’re applying for a new joint-alternate account, you’ll need to upload the required documents for both applicants.
- Singaporeans and permanent residents. Most banks in Singapore provide the option for you to apply with MyInfo, a government digital service authenticated through SingPass that allows you to pre-fill your government e-forms by auto-populating your personal data without the need to upload any paperwork or documents. You can typically gain instant approval with MyInfo. Alternatively, you can also download and fill in a simple online application form.
- Foreigners. Simply fill in an online application form and upload the required documents to apply.
Once you’ve decided to apply with the bank, click on the ‘Apply now’ button to proceed. If you’re a Singaporean and permanent resident with a SingPass account, you can enjoy a faster online application by applying with MyInfo. Simply click on the ‘Use MyInfo’ button and you’ll be redirected to SingPass’ website.
Log in to your SingPass account, verify your personal data and provide consent for the retrieval of data. Complete the application, submit and you’ll be done.
If you’re a foreigner, or if you prefer to apply via the online application, click on the ‘Continue without MyInfo’ button to proceed. You’ll be prompted to provide personal information such as your name, date of birth, gender, NRIC/passport number, residential address, contact details and more. You’ll also need to upload the necessary identification documents so make sure you have them on hand.
After you complete an online application for a bank account, you’ll get an email from the account provider with information about what happens next. This email should come within a minute or two after you submit the application to the bank. You may need to verify your identity before you’re granted full approval, or else you’ll get a welcome pack in the mail shortly after.
Step 3: Receive and activate your debit card
The bank account debit card will arrive in the mail after you’ve been approved, you’ll find out how long it takes when you get the confirmation email once you submit the online application. The debit card and security PIN are sent to you separately for security reasons.
When you get your card, you need to sign the back and activate it so you can make withdrawals. This is a simple process that can be completed over the phone or online.
Step 4: Set up Internet banking
The final step should be to set up Internet banking. This lets you manage your money and make payments to other accounts from your Internet-connected device. Download the account provider’s internet banking application and give their customer service team a call to create a password. You may also do this from an ATM.
Compare a range of accounts you can open online
Am I eligible to open an account online?
Before applying you should make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the correct documentation handy. You’ll typically need to be:
- Be a Singaporean, Singapore PR or foreigner with a valid permit.
- Be at least 18 years old (for most banks and accounts)
What documents do I need for an online account application?
- Singaporeans and permanent residents:
- Front and back photocopy of your NRIC/passport
- Proof of residential address (if it’s different from the one in your NRIC)
- Valid passport
- Proof of employment/study or visit pass
- Proof of residential address
What are the benefits of opening an account online?
There’s no need to visit a branch to open a bank account anymore. You can open a bank account, deposit money and set up automatic payments all from the comfort of your home. Once you’ve applied, just wait for the card to be sent you in the mail, activate the account and you’re good to go.
- You can skip the bank queues. Why wait in line at your local branch when you can apply and open a bank account online in minutes.
- The application forms are easy to use. Comparison websites like Finder give you all the information you need to make an informed decision and provide step by step instructions on how to apply for a bank account online.
- It doesn’t take long to open. The online application only takes 10 minutes to complete and you should have a response about what happens next within minutes of submitting the application.
Make sure you’ve considered the following when you open a bank account online.
- There are little to no fees. Is the account a fee-free account? Is there a minimum amount you must deposit every month to qualify for a fee waiver. Find out whether there are any fees for accessing your money from an ATM and in-branch.
- There is internet banking available. Does the bank account provider also offer a first-rate Internet banking experience? The more online services your bank account provider offers the less chance you need to visit a bank branch.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Neat Business review
Learn how Neat works in Singapore and what your business stand to gain with their e-payments platform.
boohoo promo codes and coupons April 2021 | Activewear from $5
When it comes to affordable fashion, boohoo is a must-visit store. Creative, on-trend and affordable, there’s lots to love.
UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card Review
Earn rewards on your daily spending and save on shopping, dining, petrol and more with the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card.
UOB Professionals Platinum Card Review
Earn generous rewards when you spend with the UOB Professionals Platinum card including perks on dining, shopping and fuel.
UOB JCB Card Review
Earn accelerated rebates and get a one-year fee waiver with the UOB JCB Card.
UOB UnionPay Platinum Card
Earn 2% cash rebates with no minimum spend, enjoy fuel savings and more with UOB.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Singapore
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Singapore.
How long does it take to get a credit card?
Learn about the factors behind how long it takes for you to get a new credit card.
How long does it take to get a personal loan?
Find out what affects the turnaround time of a personal loan and get tips on how to speed up the process.