Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Online car loans
Thinking of financing a car? Apply online and you could be approved within minutes.
If you’re thinking of financing a car, applying online has never been easier. You can be approved within minutes and, if you do it right, you can have the funds disbursed in less than 24 hours.
The entire process of applying for a car loan online is simple, it’s just a matter of having the right supporting documents and a few minutes of your time. From beginning to end, the process involves four stages. You’ll fill out your application and then upload your supporting documents. Your lender will then inform you of a decision, or they’ll request more information, and once approved, you’ll review your contract, sign, and send it back to your lender who will then release the funds to the vehicle seller.
How does applying for a car loan online work?
Stage one: File application
Your online application plays a very important role in helping your lender assess your repayment ability. As a result, you should always fill out an accurate and complete application.
Stage two: Supporting documentation
Once you’ve filled out your application, you’ll need to upload supporting documentation. Depending on the lender, you may be able to upload your documentation directly to the loan application or you’ll have to use other methods such as fax or email.
Stage three: Lender decision
Once you’ve submitted your application and supporting documents, your lender will either notify you of its decision or ask for further information. In many cases, after submitting your application lenders can give you approval or pre-approval while supporting documents and other requested information are still pending.
Stage four: Contract review, signing and disbursement of funds
If approved, your lender will send you a loan contract for review. This contract contains vital information including your loan term, repayment schedule and interest rate, so take your time when reviewing it. After reviewing, if you’re comfortable with the terms, you’ll sign the contract and return it to your lender who will then distribute the funds to the vehicle seller.
What do you need to apply for a car loan online?
You’ll need certain information as well as documentation to fill out your application. Generally, you should have the following on hand:
- Personal information. This includes information such as your NRIC, contact information, income documents and work permit (for foreigners).
- Employment information. This includes information regarding your employment history to help your lender assess your stability as an applicant.
- Requested loan details. You’ll need to provide your requested loan amount along with your preferred methods of repayment.
- Identification. Your NRIC, driver’s license, or other valid identification, is used as proof of your current address and to help your lender conduct a credit check.
- Proof of income. These include bank statements, payslips, financial statements, income tax notice of assessment, CPF contribution or anything else serving as proof of the income declared on your application.
- Proof of insurance. Depending on the lender, you may be required to provide proof of insurance on the car you plan to purchase.
- Vehicle details. Depending on the lender, you’ll need to provide information about your vehicle’s make and model, sale and purchase agreements, hire purchase agreement, vehicle registration card/log card, and the seller’s details (such as location and name of business).
Pros and cons of applying for an online car loan
- Quick process. Most lenders will come to a decision on the same day or within the next few working days you apply and, in many cases, you can get funds disbursed in as little as one day after approval.
- Bargaining power. Since just about every individual needs a car, competition among lenders is fierce. This results in better bargaining power for consumers.
- Convenience. Applying for a car loan online is simply much more convenient than having to apply in-person at a dealership or bank.
- Applying too many times. Lenders may deny your application if they see that you’ve been applying for too many loans within a short period of time. Doing this also lowers your credit score.
- Short pre-approval times. Keep in mind that any pre-approval you get from a lender will expire in a very short amount of time.
- Credit history. Red flags in your credit history, such as missed or late payments, will hurt your chances of being approved.
Is there anything you should avoid?
- Getting into too much debt. Since car loans involve a lengthy financial commitment, make sure you can afford the repayments required by your lender. Also, compare your options from different lenders to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
- Getting mixed up with shady sellers. Avoid any seller that tells you to falsify information on your loan application. Not only is it illegal, but you carry all the risk while the seller carries none. In addition, make sure you’re fully aware of the car’s condition before buying it. Always have an expert conduct a thorough checkup of any vehicle you plan to purchase.
Have more questions?
Can I still qualify with bad credit history?
There are lenders that may approve your application even with a history of bad credit. However, this would likely mean significantly higher interest rates and fees.
Can I still qualify with an insufficient income?
If you’re in this situation, you may still be able to qualify if you have a loan guarantor. However, this depends on the lender and usually approved on a case-by-case basis.
What happens if I default on my payments?
Since your vehicle is the collateral for your loan, your lender will have the right to repossess your vehicle if you default on your payments.
More guides on Finder
MSIG TravelEasy Policy Review
MSIG TravelEasy offers extensive travel coverage for families and independent travellers, and even has an enhanced plan for those with pre-existing medical conditions.
MSIG MotorMax Car Insurance Review
Protect yourself from financial losses related to auto accidents with MSIG MotorMax car insurance.
How to buy stocks online
Learn how to buy stocks online by following our 7 step guide for Singaporeans.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from Singapore
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Singapore
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Singapore.
How long does it take to get a credit card?
Learn about the factors behind how long it takes for you to get a new credit card.
How long does it take to get a personal loan?
Find out what affects the turnaround time of a personal loan and get tips on how to speed up the process.
7 tips to avoid being rejected for a personal loan
Find out some of the common reasons people have their personal loans rejected, and how you can get the best chance of approval.
Collateral loans: what counts as collateral?
Find out the main types of assets that can be used as collateral for personal loans, car loans and business loans.
Education Loans in Singapore (2021)
Find out the options you have to help meet the cost of your higher education.