Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Maybank Kim Eng Review
Trade Singapore and international securities from Maybank's award-winning stocks and derivatives brokerage firm.
Maybank Kim Eng Securities (MKE) offers ease of trading through its online and mobile platforms known as KE Trade, providing investors access to a wide range of securities including stocks, warrants, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and more. KE Trade also provides daily market reports and trading ideas from its award-winning research team.
Find out more about Maybank Kim Eng, its offerings and cost in our review.
- Trusted brokerage
- Advanced data, charting and monitoring tools
- Online and mobile trading platforms
Not so great for
- Average customer support
- Primitive design for web trading platform
What's in this guide?
- What is Maybank Kim Eng?
- What investments does Maybank Kim Eng offer?
- Key features of Maybank Kim Eng
- Types of accounts offered by Maybank Kim Eng
- What are Maybank Kim Eng's pricing and fees?
- Is Maybank Kim Eng safe?
- Pros and cons
- How do I sign up for a Maybank Kim Eng account?
- How do I contact support?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
What is Maybank Kim Eng?
Founded in Singapore in 1972, Maybank Kim Eng Securities (previously Kim Eng Securities Ptd Ltd) is a fully-owned investment banking arm of Maybank with operations in 11 markets. It was also the first stockbroker to be listed on the Singapore Exchange in 1990.
Maybank is the fourth largest bank in Southeast Asia by assets.
What investments does Maybank Kim Eng offer?
You can trade the following investments through MKE:
- Singapore shares. Invest in Singapore securities listed on the Singapore Exchange (SGX).
- International shares. Trade international shares from these 8 markets from MKE Online and Mobile: Hong Kong, United States, Shanghai-Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia and United Kingdom. If you’re trading offline through your trading representative to access over 20 additional exchanges.
- Contracts For difference (CFDs). A CFD is a contractual agreement between two parties to settle the difference between opening and closing price. CFDs allow customers to participate in the price movement of an underlying product without actually owning the asset, which can be a share, an index, a commodity or more.
- Forex. Trade in the spot foreign exchange market on over 40 currency pairs with tight spreads and no brokerage fees.
- Margin Facility. MKE’s margin financing facility allows you to maximise on your trading opportunities with competitive debit interest rates on multiple currencies, computed on a daily rest basis.
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs). A diversified portfolio of securities from a range of asset classes and markets that generally aims to track the performance of an index.
- Bonds and Fixed-Income Securities. These instruments obligate the issuer (borrower) to make fixed coupon payments to the investors and generate an eventual return of principal at maturity, in return for their investment/loan.
- Structured warrants (SW). Issued by third-party financial institutions, a structured warrant is a type of option that allows investors to gain leveraged exposure to the underlying security without actually owning it. Structured warrants can either be the shares of an unrelated company, a group of companies’ shares or an index. They may also be used as a hedging tool.
- Real estate investment trust (REITs). A class of securities that trade like shares on a securities exchange and typically generate income through a portfolio of real estate assets, which typically distribute income at regular intervals. The underlying assets of a REIT could include commercial, retail, industrial and residential properties located within a specific country or region.
- Daily leverage certificates (DLCs). Stand to gain a fixed leveraged return between 3 to 7 times the daily performance of the underlying index. DLCs are classified as high-risk and complex financial products that offer the flexibility to trade both rising and falling markets.
- Securities borrowing and lending. Take advantage of investment opportunities for covered short selling, arbitraging and hedging.
Key features of Maybank Kim Eng
MKE offers a host of features and tools to help provide a seamless and hassle-free trading experience:
What research does it provide?
MKE’s regional research team comprises of analysts across the Asia-Pacific with a strong track record of identifying investment themes, forecasting corporate earnings, spot catalysts and inflexion points with accuracy.
Here are some resources MKE offers to help traders generate profitable investment ideas:
- Research reports. Gain unique investment ideas through detailed research reports that shed light across 11 markets – Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Korea, Vietnam, India, US and Taiwan.
- Market insights. Stay in the know on the listed equities across multiple markets with up-to-date stock research and analyses on current thematics as the market moves.
- Singapore growth value yield. MKE’s research team offers 3 curated stock lists based on the Growth, Value, Yield (GVY) model.
Types of accounts offered by Maybank Kim Eng
MKE offers various account types, each providing different trading features:
|Account Type||Key Features|
|KE Trade Cash Account|
|KE CFD Account|
|KE Trade Margin Financing Account|
|KE Trade Prefunded Account|
|KE Forex Account|
What are Maybank Kim Eng’s pricing and fees?
You’ll pay brokerage fees when you trade financial products using KE Trade Online/Mobile or through a broker. You’ll be charged varying commission depending on you account type and how your trade is conducted.
Here are MKE’ brokerage fees for trading shares on SGX (traded in SGD):
|S$50,000 and below||0.275%||0.12%||0.50%|
|Above S$50,000 – S$100,000||0.22%||0.12%||0.40%|
Fees are accurate at the time of writing (13 June 2020).
All transactions are also subject to CDP imposed clearing fee (0.0325%), SGX trading fee (0.0075%), SGX settlement instruction fee ($0.35 per contract) and GST. Check the full commission and charges on MKE’ website.
Is Maybank Kim Eng safe?
Maybank Kim Eng Securities Pte Ltd is regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and comply with all measures to keep its clients’ funds segregated and safe. To prevent any data from being getting stolen or tampered with, KE Trade is equipped with security features such as:
- SSL encryption. All transactions on KE Trade are processed with 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol verified by Verisign encryption to protect your data.
- Two Factor Authentication (2FA). Your KE Trade Account is protected from unauthorised access through two layers of identity verification – your login ID and password, as well as a One-Time Password (OTP) generated on your OneKey device. Although it is not mandatory for you to set up 2FA for trading on MKE, it is highly recommended that you do so for an enhanced level of security during online trading.
Pros and cons
- Range of securities. Trade a wide array of asset classes across 8 markets online.
- Access advanced tools. Be it charting tools or stock screening, MKE trading platforms are equipped with state-of-art features to help streamline your trading process.
- User-friendly mobile interface. MKE’s mobile app features detailed yet easy-to-use interface design, providing its users with ease of usage when they trade on-the-go.
- Average customer support. There are mixed reviews online regarding MKE’s customer service. Bear this in mind if you wish to trade with MKE.
- Primitive online trading platform. Compared to its mobile app, MKE’s online trading platform fell short in terms of design and overall user experience.
How do I sign up for a Maybank Kim Eng account?
You’ll need to be over 18 years old to be eligible for an MKE trading account. Once you’ve met the eligibility criteria, you may proceed to apply by online, through mail or in-person at the Investor Centre or any of its customer service centres.
Applying online is the most convenient option. Simply click on the ‘open an account’ button on the Maybank Kim Eng website to proceed. You may select several account types to open and you’ll be required to fill in your personal details.
Alternatively, you can also apply through mail by sending a duly completed copy of the account opening form to Maybank Kim Eng along with a signed photocopy of all the required supporting documents.
Central Depository (CDP) Account
To start investing in the Singapore securities market, you’ll need to open a Central Depository (CDP) account. Make sure to open a CDP account online before proceeding to open a MKE trading account as you’ll be required to provide your CDP account number on the application form.
If you don’t have a CDP account yet, you may also get it set up through MKE.
- Singaporean/PR: Front and back photocopy of your NRIC (or SAF identity card, SPF identification card or passport)
- Malaysian: Front and back photocopy of your Malaysian IC or valid passport
- Other nationality: Valid passport and proof of residence (e.g. bank statement or utility bill reflecting your name and residential address)
How do I contact support?
If you have any enquiries, you may reach Maybank Kim Eng directly through the following contact details:
- Hotline: 6432 1888
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Night desk (US Trading): 6231 5554
- Operating hours: 9.30 pm to 4 am (Daylight Saving Time) and 10.30 pm to 5 am (Standard Time) for US market trading days
- Main Office: 50 North Canal Road, Singapore 059304
Maybank Kim Eng offers various account types, each catered to the different investing needs. If you’re looking for a trading platform that is jammed pack with trading tools and analytical features, KE Trade doesn’t disappoint. Along with the broad range of asset classes available for trading, KE Trade could be a one-stop online trading platform for you to create a diversified portfolio. KE Trade also comes with a mobile app for you to trade anytime, anywhere.
Before applying for a KE Trade account, make sure to conduct your due comparison to see if this trading platform is most suitable for you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Where to buy eyeliner online in Singapore 2021
Accentuate your eyes and come up with a new eye look with eyeliner from our list of retailers.
Where to buy eco-friendly packaging online in Singapore 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on pioneering eco-friendly packaging online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy reusable straws online in Singapore 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on sustainable, reusable drinking straws online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy eyeshadow online in Singapore 2021
Top up your makeup kit and try out new looks with eye shadows from our list of retailers.
Where to buy reusable coffee cups online in Singapore 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on eco-friendly, reusable coffee cups online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy reusable diapers online in Hong Kong 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on reusable diapers for the little ones in your life online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy reusable heat packs online in Singapore 2021
Shop for reusable heat packs online at any of these eight destinations and score a discount with a coupon code.
Where to buy reusable nespresso pods online in Singapore 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on eco-friendly, reusable nespresso pods online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy mascara online in Singapore 2021
For a great range of mascara, shop from these sellers and save with its discount and coupon codes.
Where to buy brow kits online in Singapore 2021
For a great range of brow kits, shop from these sellers and save with our list of discount and coupon codes.