Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Lim & Tan Securities Review
Take control of your investments anytime, anywhere with LTS online and mobile trading platforms.
Established in 1973, Lim & Tan Securities (LTS) is an institutional stock brokerage firm and amongst the first to introduce online stock trading in Singapore in October 1998. Known as ‘limtan.com.sg’, LTS online trading brand now includes mobile and iPad apps, which provides its clients faster and added convenience.
Find out more about how you can trade on Lim & Tan Securities and if any of its accounts are suitable for you.
- Trading platform available on web and mobile
- Daily market reports such as the latest news and market analysis
- Reward programme
Not so great for
- Primitive interface and usability
- Limited global markets
What investments do Lim & Tan Securities offer?
You can trade the following investments through LTS:
- Contracts For difference (CFDs). An contractual agreement between two parties to settle the difference between opening and closing prices, multiplied by the number of underlying stocks specified in the contract. CFDs allow customers to participate in the price movement of an underlying product without actually owning the asset, which can be a stock, an index, a commodity or more.
- Share Margin Financing. Access extra capital from LTS and boost your investments in stocks and shares. When you trade securities on margin, the purchased assets form the collateral for the loan.
- Cash Collateralised Trading (CCT). Trade equities listed on the Singapore Exchange (SGX) and Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect (SH-HK). The trading limit is based on the funds you have in your Lim & Tan Securities SGD trust account. In addition, you’ll also earn interest on the Singapore dollars in the account.
Key features of Lim & Tan Securities
LTS online trading platform is equipped with advanced tools such as:
- Multi-market trade. Trade a wide range of securities available on Singapore (SGX), Malaysia (Bursa), Hong Kong (HKEx), China (SH-HK) and US (NYSE, NYSE, NASDAQ and AMEX).
- Live charts. Stay updated with fast-moving price chats and customisable indicators to monitor your trades.
- Advanced trading information. Enhanced your trade with in-depth data such as Time & Sales, Trade Summary, Market Depth and more.
- Batch Order and Force Key functionality. You have the option to place an order and submit a price at a stipulated bid size level.
- Customised watchlist and portfolio management. Be in the know on the latest price movements of both local and foreign counters with up to 5 customisable watchlist. You may add up to 50 counters to each watchlist.
- Stock alerts facility. Receive trade, stock and SGX news alerts via SMS, mobile app push notifications and email.
- Online statements. Access your e-statements conveniently and securely from your account anytime.
What research does it provide?
Enhance your trade with Lim & Tan Securities proprietary research and latest market news:
- SGX News. Gain invaluable insights from the SGX News and announcements embedded within the Lim & Tan Online Trading platform. Find the latest news on individual SGX counters with a variety of categories, including financial statements, corporate actions, interest charges and more.
- US Research. Get an overview of the US market and make better-informed trades. Screen stocks, sector and industry analysis, companies’ research, earning announcements and more.
- LTS Daily Research report. Proprietary daily research reports providing an in-depth view of the financial markets, insider stock transactions, fund flow data, dividends list, stock picks and more.
Types of accounts offered by Lim & Tan Securities
|Account Type||Key Features|
|Contract For Difference (CFD)|
|Share Margin Financing (SMF)|
|Cash Collateralised Trading (CCT)|
|Young Investors (YI)|
Pricing and fees
Here are the fees and commissions LTS charges for the various accounts:
|Contract Size||Online Trading Rates||Advisory Trading Rates|
|S$50,000 and below||0.28%||0.50%|
|Above S$50,000 – S$100,000||0.22%||0.40%|
Other transaction charges such as a CDP imposed clearing fee (0.0325%) and SGX trading fee (0.0075%) will be applied on the gross contract amount. There’s also an SGX Settlement Instruction (SI) Fee of $0.35 per settlement. All brokerage fees and other charges are subjected to 7% GST.
Share Margin Financing Account
|Contract Size||Option 1|
Lower brokerage rates
Longer interest-free period
|S$50,000 and below||0.28%||0.4% or $25 whichever is higher|
|Above S$50,000 – S$100,000||0.22%||0.32%|
Contract For Difference Account
|Contract Size||Online Trading Rates||Advisory Trading Rates|
|S$20,000 and below||0.22%||0.35%|
|Above S$20,000 – S$50,000||0.18%||0.30%|
All the fees listed are accurate at the time of writing (27 May 2020) and are subject to change.
For all other fees and charges, please refer to the Lim & Tan Securities brokerage charges under ‘FAQs’ on their website.
Is Lim & Tan Securities safe?
To protect clients’ online trades, the LTS online trading platform offers additional security such as encryption and 2FA to keep your account safe.
- Encryption. All information exchanged on the secure pages is encrypted to protect your data from getting tampered with. Make sure that the LTS login screen and subsequent trading screens are secured by looking out for a padlock icon on your browser’s address bar.
- 2-Factor Authentication (2FA). To enhance your account security, you may apply for a OneKey token and set up your 2FA. Once you’ve successfully linked your physical OneKey token, you can also 2FA SMS OTP.
How do Lim & Tan Securities keep my money safe?
LTS is regulated by The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and holds a Capital Markets Services (CMS), so it is mandatory to comply with all regulations designed to safeguard its clients’ funds by keeping it segregated from its own account at all times.
Pros and cons
- Access advanced tools. Make better informed trades with functions such as live chats, customisable watchlists, batch order, force key functionality.
- Convenience. Conduct a trade anytime, anywhere with Lim & Tan online trading platform or mTrade mobile app.
- SMS Trade notification alerts. Receive complimentary SMS Trade alerts when your orders on SGX, Hong Kong and US markets are fulfilled. Keep informed while on the move when you register your devices to receive mobile app push notifications, which includes trade, stock and SGX news alerts.
- Reward programmes. Enrol in either Lim & Tan’s reward programme or Plus! Programme by NTUC Link and earn reward/link points when you trade stocks on Lim & Tan’s online trading platform. Depending on the reward programme you opt for, you may redeem either trade services or any items from LinkPoints Online Rewards.
- Limited global exchanges. LTS only facilitates trades from markets in five countries: Singapore (SGX), Malaysia (Bursa), Hong Kong (HKEx), China (SH-HK) and US (NYSE, NYSE, NASDAQ and AMEX).
- Higher than average brokerage fees. LTS’ platform fee (minimum $25) and commission (0.28%) are amongst the highest in Singapore.
- Primitive interface. Compared to competitor platforms, LTS’ UI is lacking in intuitiveness and usability.
- Too Singapore-centric. LTS is a very Singapore-centric trading option, which may not be ideal for expats or Singaporeans who frequently move from country to country.
How do I apply for a Lim & Tan Securities account?
You can apply online for an LTS trading account if you’re over 21 and have no record of delinquency. To apply, head to the Lim & Tan Securities website and click on the ‘Open An Account’ button to proceed.
For the opening of CFD and SMF accounts, you’ll need to contact your Trading Representative or visit LTS’ office at 16 Collyer Quay, #15-00, Income at Raffles, Singapore 049318.
If you wish to open a Young Investor (YI) Trading account, you’ll need to be above the age of 18 and below 21 years old and have completed GCE ‘A’ Levels or currently studying at a tertiary institution or Polytechnic.
Central Depository (CDP) Account
To start investing in the Singapore securities market, you’ll need to open a Central Depository (CDP) account. If you do not have an existing CDP account, you’ll need to sign up for CDP account online before applying for a trading account with Lim & Tan Securities.
If you’re MyInfo-verified but don’t already have a CDP account, you may apply for it directly through Lim & Tan Securities.
- Singaporeans/Permanent Residents:
- Front and back photocopy of your NRIC
- Valid passport with at least 6 months validity
- Work permit or employment pass (if you’re working in Singapore)
- Proof of residential address (dated within the last 3 months): e.g. Teleco bills/utility bills/bank statement/letters issued by government bodies
- Young Investors trading account:
- A copy of the student ID, matriculation card or EZ-link card
- Front and back photocopy of your NRIC
- Suitability Assessment Questionnaire
- Standing Instruction for Trust account form
- Duly completed acknowledgement form for “A Beginner’s Guide to Trading/Investing In Shares For Young Investors”
- CPF contribution history and computerised payslip; OR
- Latest IR8A; OR
- Latest CDP Statement
- Bank account information, if you’re applying for Electronic Payment for Shares (EPS).
- 12 digit CDP account number
- For Foreign Tax Resident: Foreign Tax Identification Number (TIN).
How do I contact support from Lim & Tan Securities?
If you have any enquiries, you may reach Lim & Tan Securities through the following contact details:
- General hotline: 6533 0595
- Online trading helpdesk: 6799 8188
- Night desk (US trading): 6533 4192 / 9703 (Singapore Time 9 pm to 1 am)
- Email: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
More guides on Finder
How to invest in cryptocurrency
Learn how to get started investing in cryptocurrency, the methods available to you, and what to keep in mind before making your first purchase.
Avalanche (AVAX): How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the Avalanche (AVAX) cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
How to invest in the BTCC Bitcoin ETF
The world’s first physical Bitcoin ETF has launched onto the stock market. Here’s how to invest if you’re in Singapore.
Where to buy reusable diapers online in Hong Kong 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on reusable diapers for the little ones in your life online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy reusable heat packs online in Singapore 2021
Shop for reusable heat packs online at any of these eight destinations and score a discount with a coupon code.
Where to buy bamboo toothbrushes online in Singapore 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on fully biodegradable bamboo toothbrushes online at any of these prime retailers.
How to buy stocks online
Learn how to buy stocks online by following our 7 step guide for Singaporeans.
What are Singapore’s blue chip stocks?
What are Singapore’s top blue chip stocks and should you invest in them?
Finder Cryptocurrency Predictions Report: October 2020
We asked 30 panellists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
How to buy The Honest Company (HNST) shares from Singapore
Here’s everything we know so far about The Honest Company IPO and how to buy in from Singapore.