Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
KGI Securities Review
Trade securities listed on SGX and other global exchanges conveniently with KTrader.
KGI securities, a wholly-owned subsidiary of China Development Financial (CDF) is one of the world top leading brokerage firm with over 140 years of experience. Its diverse range of business areas includes stockbroking, margin financing, futures, options, derivatives and custodial services.
Learn more about KGI Securities’ features and fees in our review.
- Free market depth access
- Mobile application available
- In-depth research, daily market reports and live prices
Not so great for
- No online account application
- Basic trading tools
- Limited markets available for online trading
What investments does KGI Securities offer?
You can trade the following investments through KGI Securities:
- Company stocks. Invest in listed companies across in Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, US and other global markets.
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs). A diversified portfolio of securities from a range of asset classes and markets that generally aims to track the performance of an index.
- Structured warrants (SW). Issued by third-party financial institutions, a structured warrant is a type of option that allows investors to gain leveraged exposure to the underlying security without actually owning it. Structured warrants can either be the stocks of an unrelated company, a group of companies’ stocks or an index. They may also be used as a hedging tool.
- Real estate investment trust (REITs). A class of securities that trade like stocks on a securities exchange and typically generate income through a portfolio of real estate assets, which typically distribute income at regular intervals. The underlying assets of a REIT could include commercial, retail, industrial and residential properties located within a specific country or region.
- American Depository Receipts (ADRs). Trade underlying securities of non-US companies trading in US markets with ADRs, which are certificates issued by a depository bank that gives the owner rights over a specified number of foreign stocks.
- Futures. Access and capitalise on a large selection of global stock indices, currencies, commodity, energy and precious metal.
- Forex. Trade a wide range of currency pairs.
Key features of KGI Securities
Known as KTrader, KGI Securities’ online trading platform is equipped with a complete suite of trading tools to ease your trading experience. Access markets quickly and conveniently with some of these features:
- Multi-market trading. Trade securities across exchanges in Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand and US on a single platform.
- Market depth. Also known as Level 2 Market Data, this feature displays up to 20 levels of pending bid and asks on SGX-listed securities in real time. This means that you’ll be able to view the different price levels which buyers are willing to buy and sellers willing to sell at any given time.
- Watchlists. Monitor the latest price movements of both local and foreign counters in by creating different watchlist.
- Customisable charts and analytics. Benefit from a broad range of chart periods and stock analytics.
- Trading tools. View stock price, charts and other important information at a glance.
- Order and trade notifications. Keep track of your trades with this complimentary service, which will notify you if there are any activities that are done on your orders.
What research does it provide?
KGI Securities provides comprehensive coverage on the economy, as well as companies listed on SGX and global markets in the form of market commentaries, SGX-listed company reports and strategy and industry reports. These detailed market insights are designed to help investors stay up-to-date with of the latest developments in the respective markets and make better informed trades.
Potential investors are able to preview some of the research papers directly on KGI Securities website, but the latest reports are only exclusive to account holders.
Types of accounts offered by KGI Securities
KGI Securities offers various service levels, each providing different trading features:
|Account Type||Key Features|
What are KGI Securities pricing and fees?
You’ll pay brokerage fees when you trade financial products online or via a broker with KGI Securities. You’ll be charged varying commission depending on you account type and how your trade is conducted.
Here are KGI Securities’ brokerage fees for trading stocks on SGX (traded in SGD):
|S$50,000 and below||0.275%||0.50%|
|Above S$50,000 – S$100,000||0.22%||0.40%|
Fees are accurate at the time of writing (18 July 2020).
All transactions are also subject to CDP imposed clearing fee (0.0325%), SGX trading fee (0.0075%), SGX settlement instruction fee ($0.35 per contract) and GST. Check the full commission and charges on KGI Securities’ website.
Is KGI Securities safe?
KGI Securities (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. holds the Capital Market Services (CMS) license under the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and the Commodity Broking License under International Enterprise (IE) Singapore.
As such, the broker keeps its clients’ funds segregated from the company’s account and maintained in a trust account. KGI Securities is also a clearing and trading member with Singapore Exchange Derivatives Trading Limited (SGX-DT) and a general clearing member of ICE Futures Singapore (Formerly SMX).
To prevent any data from being tampered with, KTRader is equipped with the following security features:
- Two Factor Authentication (2FA). You have the option to add an extra layer of protection on your trading account, preventing any unauthorised access through two layers of identity verification – your login ID and password, as well as a unique dynamic security code known as a One-Time Password (OTP) generated on your mobile device.
- Password-protected statements. All e-Statements sent out to clients are encrypted with a password for enhanced security. In addition, the contents of the statements will not be editable or re-produced.
- Biometric login. Access KTrader conveniently and securely with touch fingerprint and face recognition (for iOS only) technology
Pros and cons
- User-friendly platform. KTrader is designed using advanced HTML 5 technology, which offers a sleek and easy-to-navigate interface design. View trade information in a glance, customise your screen settings and trade on-the-go.
- Free market depth. Gain access to live market data on SGX-listed stocks, which allows you to view up to 20 levels of buy and sell orders for better informed trading decisions. Available until November 2020.
- Mobile application. KGI Securities’ online trading platform, KTrader, is available on both iOS and Android devices.
- Limited markets. You can only trade securities across exchanges in Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand and US via KTrader. For securities from other global markets, you may only do so via broker-assisted trades.
- No online application. You’ll need to print and fill in the application form and then proceed it along with all the necessary documents to KGI Securities’ office. For non face-to-face account opening, a representative from the brokerage will get in contact via phone for identity verification and arrange for you to send the required documents to the company through mail.
How do I sign up for a KGI Securities account?
To be open a KGI Securities trading account, you’ll need to be over 21 years old and bring along the list of required documents to KGI Securities’ office. Please note that you’ll also need to place a minimum deposit of US$10,000.
Upon the receipt of all necessary documents and the clearing of your initial deposit, KGI Securities will take approximately three to five business days to set up your account.
Central Depository (CDP) Account
To start investing in the Singapore securities market, you’ll need to open a Central Depository (CDP) account. Make sure to open a CDP account online before proceeding to open a KGI Securities trading account as you’ll be required to link it to your new trading account.
Be warned that any transactions executed prior to the linkage of your CDP account to your securities trading account will result in trade failures and you’ll be responsible for any losses incurred.
- Original copies of your identity documents:
- Singaporean/PR: Front and back photocopy of your NRIC
- Malaysian: Front and back photocopy of your Malaysian IC
- Other nationality: Passport with at least 6 months validity
- Duly-filled application form
- Proof of residential address dated within the last 3 months (e.g. utility bill, bank statements etc)
- Payslips, income statements or CDP statements
How do I contact support?
If you have any enquiries, you may reach KGI Securities directly through the following contact details:
- Hotline: 6202 1188 (from 9am to 6pm, Mondays to Fridays excluding PH)
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: 4 Shenton Way, #13-01, SGX Centre 2, Singapore 068807
Fees wise, KGI Securities is neither the cheapest nor most expensive brokerage in Singapore. So when comparing it with other platforms, make sure to consider the other factors and weigh in on the benefits of using KGI Securities.
Are you looking for a simple-to-use interface? Do you require advanced charting tools? Will you be able to trade securities in the markets you prefer? These are some of the questions to ask yourself before applying for a trading account with KGI Securities.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to invest in the Porsche IPO from Singapore
Everything we know about the upcoming Porsche IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Access US and HK markets on the go with Webull. Enjoy zero commission, free real-time quotes, full extended hours trading and more.
Syfe Trade review
Syfe Trade is a share trading platform offered by robo-advisor Syfe. Invest in US markets with Syfe Trade. Find out more in this review.
Syfe Wealth review
Find out more about robo-advisor Syfe’s fees and the benefits of using its platform for your trading needs.
How to invest in commodities
Commodities are things that aren’t much different from one another if you were to get them from other sources. Find out how to invest in them.
Buy the dip statistics
27% of Singaporeans plan on ‘buying the dip’ if the market crashes this year, according to the latest research from Finder.com.
moomoo by FUTU review
Trade shares and other investment classes across Singapore, Hong Kong and US markets with moomoo by FUTU.
How Singapore will be investing in 2022
Finder’s Retail Investor Sentiment Report polled 39,573 Internet users across 26 countries to see how they’ll be investing their money in 2022.