Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Peru
Compare exchange rates, transaction fees and transfer options when you need to send a fast and affordable money transfer to Peru.
If you’re looking to send money from Singapore to Peru, keep the process simple by comparing your money transfer options. Converting Singapore dollars to Peruvian sols doesn’t have to be pricey, and when your loved one is in need of a little extra, you could have money to them within a few days.
Compare money transfer services to Peru
Banks versus money transfer companies
Most people think of their bank first when considering money transfers, but this might not be the best idea. Banks often charge high fees for even small transfers, and you usually won’t get the best exchange rate — especially when you’re looking to send an exotic currency like the sol.
On the other hand, money transfer companies have lower fees, better exchange rates and faster service. You will likely be able to find a better deal by comparing them, and you may be able to send much more money to your loved one in Peru.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Peru?
- Exchange rates. Shop around to find a transfer provider that offers better exchange rates than its competitors. However, make sure those great rates don’t also come with high transfer fees attached.
- Transaction fees. Check the fine print to see how much it will cost you each time you send a transfer; it’s also a good idea to find out whether you can avoid paying a fee if you transfer a large sum of money.
- How easy it is to use. Can you place transfers online or by visiting a branch? Are there other convenient options available, such as placing transfers over the phone or using a free mobile app?
- Flexible transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. Compare transaction processing times to see which company can get your money to Peru the fastest, but remember that quick transfers usually cost more.
- Minimum and maximum transfer amounts. Some providers impose minimum and maximum transaction limits. Check to see if these limits will affect you.
- Cash collection options. Does the provider offer bank account transfers or a cash pickup option?
- Customer service. Are phone and email support offered? Is there an online help center and live online chat if you need immediate assistance?
Foreign exchange rates explainedBanks and money transfer companies use exchange rate to calculate how much one currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. The Singapore dollar is strong against the Peruvian sol. This means $1 will yield more when exchanged for sols. However, this amount can change daily based on global economic stability, interest rates and inflation.
What are my options for sending money to Peru from Singapore?
- Specialist money transfer companies. Online transfer companies, like WorldRemit and OFX, offer fast and convenient transfers to countries all around the world.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Providers such as Western Union and MoneyGram offer convenient cash pickup transfers to Peru.
- Bank transfers. Some banks may send money transfers to Peru, but this option is usually more expensive than money transfer companies.
- International checks. Another option is to obtain an international check from your bank and mail it to your beneficiary in Peru.
What are the steps to send money to Peru?
- Compare your money transfer options. You can money transfer companies in the table above to find one that fits your needs.
- Sign up for an account with a transfer provider. Registering is usually free and can be done online. You’ll need to provide your name, contact details and a valid form of photo ID.
- Provide transaction information. The next step is to enter all the details of your transfer, including who you’re sending money to, where they live, how much money you’re sending and in which currency.
- Complete your transaction. The last step in the process is to review the transfer details, pay for your transaction and keep hold of any receipt you are given so that you can track your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Peru
If you need to send money to Peru as quickly as possible, some companies offer rapid international transfers in as little as 10 minutes. However, fast transfers usually don’t come cheap, and you can expect the transaction to cost extra thanks to low exchange rates and high transfer fees. With this in mind, make sure that you take a close look at the full cost of your transaction before deciding whether it is a cost-effective transfer option.
Cash pickup locations in Peru
More guides on Finder
Best international money transfer apps
Compare popular money transfer apps to get the most out of your mobile international transfer.
Find a money transfer location
Send cash to friends or family. Find an international money transfer service in your neighborhood.
Review: Send international money transfers
If you’re thinking of transferring money overseas with Send, make sure you check out our review of its exchange rates, fees and transfer speed first.
MoneyGram vs Travelex
Discover the ins and outs of these two international money transfer services to help you decide which is best for your next money transfer.
WorldFirst vs PayPal
We compare WorldFirst and PayPal to find out who offers the lowest fees, best exchange rates and fastest transactions for international money transfers.
InstaReM vs Wise (TransferWise)
Find out how two popular international money transfer services, InstaReM and Wise, compare to each other.
CurrencyFair international money transfers
Check out our comprehensive review of CurrencyFair international money transfers, including fees, exchange rates, security and transfer times.
Xpress Money international money transfers
We take a closer look at the fees, exchange rates and features of Xpress Money to see how its international money transfer service compares.
SBI-eRemit international money transfers review
Check out our review of the SBI-eRemit online money transfer service and learn about its exchange rates, fees and transfer times.
How can I send money to someone in a country with sanctions?
Is there any way to send money from Singapore to someone in a country with economic sanctions?