Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Macedonia
How to take advantage of low fees and competitive exchange rates when sending money to Macedonia.
If you need to exchange Singapore dollars for Macedonian denars but don’t want to deal with the low rates offered by your bank, consider using an international money transfer company to send money to someone overseas. The process is relatively inexpensive, and you can compare your rates to find the best available deal.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Select your currency and transfer amount, and compare the fees, rates and transfer times of different providers.
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers are the way you send money from one country to another—in this case, from Singapore to Macedonia. You’ll need to provide the funds to your bank or an independent transfer provider that will then convert the money to the appropriate currency before sending it off to your recipient. You can pay by cash, card or directly from your bank account. Your recipient can receive the transfer in the form of cash, or they can have it directly deposited into their own bank account.
With so many options, it’s easy to find a way to complete an international money transfer.
Banks versus money transfer companies
When you need to make a money transfer, your bank may seem like the obvious choice. However, with high fees and low exchange rates, most banks are hardly competitive when it comes to international transfers. You should instead consider finding an independent money transfer company, one that has minimal fees coupled with decent exchange rates.
While both are valid options, you’re more likely to save money and send more to your recipient when you choose a money transfer company rather than a bank.Back to top
How do I compare transfer companies sending money to Macedonia?
- Exchange rates. Shop around to see what exchange rates are available among different providers. Be aware that better exchange rates will sometimes also come with higher fees attached.
- Transfer fees. You’ll usually need to pay some sort of fee each time you send a transfer. Compare the amount charged by different providers to find one that’s low enough to still get you a good exchange rate.
- Transfer methods. Different providers have different transfer methods. Many offer transfers that can be done online, over the phone, in-person or through a mobile app.
- Flexible options. Some companies let you get a better exchange rate by placing forward contracts (which allow you to lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later) and limit orders (which allow you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met), while they may also offer you the flexibility of scheduling regular payments in advance.
- Turnaround time. While some companies offer transfers in as little as a few minutes, these urgent transactions usually cost more to send. Longer transactions will cost less and will often end with your recipient getting more money.
- Transfer limits. Check to see whether the provider imposes minimum and maximum transfer limits on a transaction.
- Pickup options. While some companies will allow your recipient to collect the cash you transfer from their nearest branch, others will offer transfers in the form of bank account deposits.
- Customer service. It’s essential to investigate a company’s reputation for offering friendly and efficient customer service so that you can get a fast answer to your questions if you ever encounter a problem.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is a simple calculation that allows banks and other international companies to convert currency from one country to another. A strong currency will yield more when exchanged for a weak one, and since the Macedonian denar (MKD) has been traditionally weak against Singapore dollar (SGD), you’ll be able to send more denar when you complete a money transfer.
What are my options for sending money to Macedonia from Singapore?
- Money transfer companies. Find a money transfer company that specializes in sending money from Singapore to Macedonia.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Western Union and MoneyGram both have several locations in Macedonia.
- Bank transfers. Speak to your bank about the cost involved in sending a transfer to Macedonia.
- International guaranteed check. Mailing an international guaranteed check to Macedonia is a secure but slow transfer method.
Tips for picking up cash in Macedonia
Whenever you pick up cash, you’ll want to remain safe and keep your cash out of the hands of potential thieves. Following these tips should help.
- Don’t travel alone — bring a friend and travel during the daylight hours.
- Stay aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out for anyone acting suspiciously.
- Only visit a cash pickup location in an area where you feel safe.
- Don’t display your cash in public.
- Don’t carry large amounts of money around for any longer than necessary.
More guides on Finder
Libertex offers zero spreads on 250+ tradable assets, including shares, cryptocurrencies and ETFs. Learn more in our review.
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
Find the best Singaporean mobile share trading apps (2021)
Compare share trading apps to find out which app has all the tools and resources you need to reach your investment goals.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from Singapore
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Neat Business review
Learn how Neat works in Singapore and what your business stand to gain with their e-payments platform.
UOB JCB Card Review
Earn accelerated rebates and get a one-year fee waiver with the UOB JCB Card.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Singapore
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Singapore.
How long does it take to get a personal loan?
Find out what affects the turnaround time of a personal loan and get tips on how to speed up the process.
Best credit card travel promotions in Singapore
Signing up for a credit card with travel promotions can help you save money on your next trip away.