Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Latvia
Send money to Latvia without the hassle and stress.
Transferring money betweenSingapore and Latvia isn’t difficult, but if you’re not sure what service to use, it can be more expensive that it has to be. Our guide will cover how to get the most euros out of your dollar and how you can reduce the large fees charged by banks.
Compare money transfer services to Latvia
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Latvia with our money transfer partners.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Latvia.
This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Banks versus money transfer companies
You might think the best place to go when you need to send an international money transfer is to your bank. While your bank can certainly help you send money to Latvia, however, they won’t do it cheaply. High fees and low exchange rates are hallmarks of international transfers through banks, so you’re better off looking elsewhere for a more cost-effective solution.
Specialist money transfer companies are the best place to start. These companies, such as OFX and WorldRemit, offer fast, secure and much more affordable transfers to Latvia and around the world. Their fees are usually lower than the banks’, their exchange rates higher and the transactions can be handled from the comfort of your own home.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Finding a good exchange rate is of the utmost importance when transferring money to Latvia. This is because the euro is traditionally strong against the dollar, meaning your dollar will be worth less than one euro. However, this rate is flexible based on global economic stability and inflation. The amount a dollar is worth in euros changes on a daily basis.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Latvia
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
How to send money to Latvia
- Compare money transfer companies in the table above.
- Click Go to Site and register with the provider.
- Create your account, including your bank account information.
- Enter your recipient’s personal information and preferred method of pickup–bank account transfer or cash.
- Complete the transaction and pay.
- Save your tracking number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
How safe is a money transfer?
When you use a reputable provider, your funds are tracked until in the hands of your recipient. There are multiple protections in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to disclose all fees and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer before it has been completed.
How can I send money to Latvia?
- Bank transfers. Most major Singapore banks will allow you to send money to Latvia since they use a highly-traded currency.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and Wise can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. You can transfer funds from your PayPal into the account of another user in Latvia.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Latvia
Although it’s completely possible to find a money transfer service that can quickly wire funds from your account in Singapore to someone else in Latvia, this is often the most expensive option. Unless it’s a true emergency–like a relative having an overdue bill–you’re better off finding a company that takes a couple of days rather than hours. Not only will it cost less in fees, but your recipient in Latvia will also receive more euros.
Picking up cash
Whether picking up funds in Riga or somewhere else in Latvia, you should take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself from becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash.
- Bring a friend. Having someone with you while you’re picking up cash can help. Two sets of eyes are better than one, and you’ll be able to spot a potential threat faster.
- Deposit your money immediately. The longer you walk around with a large amount of money, the more likely you are to lose it. Put it in your bank account or a safe at home as soon as possible to reduce the potential for loss.
- Keep your money hidden. Store your money somewhere on your person, not in a purse or bag.
More guides on Finder
Neat Business review
Learn how Neat works in Singapore and what your business stand to gain with their e-payments platform.
UOB Delight Credit Card Review
Get bonus rebates on groceries, contactless transactions and household bills with the UOB Delight Credit Card.
UOB JCB Card Review
Earn accelerated rebates and get a one-year fee waiver with the UOB JCB Card.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Singapore
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from Singapore.
How long does it take to get a personal loan?
Find out what affects the turnaround time of a personal loan and get tips on how to speed up the process.
Best credit card travel promotions in Singapore
Signing up for a credit card with travel promotions can help you save money on your next trip away.
Best credit cards for Grab rides
Learn how to save by using your credit card as you spend on Grab rides.
Credit cards for foreigners in Singapore
Compare credit cards for foreigners living in Singapore and learn what details you need to provide for your application.
How to buy Coinbase (COIN) shares from Singapore
Steps to owning and managing Coinbase shares.