Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Gambia
How to send a fast, secure and affordable money transfer to Gambia from Singapore.
Compare money transfer services to Gambia
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Gambia?
Since there are numerous money transfer companies to choose from, it is important that you compare them across different parameters.
- The monetary aspect. Some service providers lure customers by offering highly competitive exchange rates or fee-free services. This can be a problem if a high fee accompanies a seemingly favorable rate, or if you get an unfavourable rate while not paying any fees. A simple way to pick the more lucrative option is to compare how much money the recipient stands to receive.
- Ways to send money. If your bank permits fund transfers to Gambia, you can start the process in person, online or over the phone. Some money transfer companies operate out of stores and kiosks that you can visit to send money in person. Most let you carry out online transfers and some let you initiate the process over the phone as well.
- Ways to receive money. Some prominent money transfer companies that provide money transfer services to Gambia from Singapore only offer cash pickup as an option. However, you can find some international money transfer companies that let you transfer funds directly into Gambian bank accounts.
- Methods. If you wish to send money to Gambia regularly, you can benefit from working with a company that lets you schedule automatic transfers based on a frequency of your liking. This takes away the need to go through the entire process repeatedly. Some money transfer companies also offer forward contracts and market orders.
- Turnaround time. If you’re sending money that the recipient will collect from a cash pickup location, the transfer can go through almost immediately. If you’re sending money to a Gambian bank account, money transfer companies can take one to three days to complete the process. Banks tend to take longer.
- Minimum limit. Some money transfer companies have minimum limits in place.
- Customer service. Customer service of a money transfer company can play an important role, especially if you plan to send money periodically. Ideally, you should be able to contact a company representative over the phone and via chat, not just via email.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Exchange rates are flexible, which means they can change from moment to moment based on influences like interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Steps to send money to Gambia
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Supply your recipient’s name, contact information and bank account details as required.
- Enter the amount of your transfer and complete the transaction.
- Keep track of any receipt you receive so you can monitor the progress of your transfer.
Ways to send money to Gambia from Singapore
- Bank transfers. Some major banks offer wire transfers to Gambia.
- Money transfer providers. Online providers like Wise and WorldRemit can help you transfer money quickly and easily. OFX is a trusted partner of Finder SG and is offering Finder readers an exclusive deal of $0 in fees.
- Transfer companies with cash pickup. Providers like Western Union and MoneyGram offer this service — your recipient can sometimes pick up the cast within minutes.
- PayPal. You can send money abroad using your PayPal account.
Picking up cash in Gambia
Whether you’re picking up cash in Gambia or any other country, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Same-day transfers to Gambia
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Gambia— for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
More guides on Finder
UOB Lady’s Savings Account review
Benefit from up to S$200,000 protection against female-related cancers and a range of health benefits when you save with the UOB Lady’s Savings Account.
YouTrip Business Review
YouTrip Business is a seamless and secure cross-border payments platform built for companies.
UOB Stash Account Review
Benefit from higher interest rates as you maintain or grow your monthly balance with UOB Stash Account.
Instarem Amaze review
Benefit from 1% cashback, low-cost FX payments and seamless expense management with the Instarem Amaze card.
OnlyFans IPO: How to buy OnlyFans shares from Singapore
What you need to know about investing in OnlyFans from Singapore.
YouTrip vs Revolut vs Wise in Singapore
Learn more about YouTrip, Revolut and Wise before deciding which one of these multicurrency wallets is most suitable for you.
DBS Multi-Currency Account vs YouTrip in Singapore
DBS Multi-Currency Accounts and YouTrip are two of the top options in the local multi-currency space. Compare their features, fees and more to see which is best for you.
Alternatives to N26: A list of similar banks and apps
We’ve compared the top challenger banks to help you figure out what’s the best alternative since N26 is not available in Singapore.
Kraken vs Coinbase
We compare the key differences between two of the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges in terms of fees, features, customer support and more.
How to buy Aave (AAVE)
Learn more about the AAVE cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.