Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Finland
The safest and most cost-effective ways of sending money to friends and family in Finland from Singapore.
While they could barely be further apart geographically, Singapore and Finland nonetheless boast strong links with one another. Since diplomatic relations between Singapore and Finland were established in 1973, the two countries have enjoyed a mutually beneficial trade relationship. Finland and the entire Scandinavian region is also a popular destination for Singaporean tourists, which means there are plenty of reasons why you might need to send an international money transfer from Singapore to Finland. Here’s how you can find the most affordable deal when you need to transfer money overseas.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus international money transfer services
When it comes to sending money overseas, banks are far from your most affordable option. In fact, banks offer poor exchange rates and charge quite high fees on the international money transfers they handle, which ends up leaving you out of pocket and your recipient short changed. But there are plenty of other options available outside the big banks. Specialist money transfer companies have grown rapidly in recent years, offering fast, simple and affordable transfers to all corners of the globe. With better exchange rates and lower fees than the banks, they can offer a much better deal for you and your recipient.
Jarkko Sends Money to FinlandWhile on a six-month working holiday in Singapore, Jarkko wants to send $1,000 back home to his sister in Helsinki to help her repair her broken-down car. Although he has an account with a major bank in Singapore, Jarkko quickly realises that the bank will take a big chunk of his hard-earned money if he sends the funds to his sister using their transfer service. He compares his bank’s transfer service with the price offered by a specialist money transfer company to see if he can find a cheaper option.
|Bank||Money transfer company|
|Exchange rate||1 SGD = 0.5708 EUR||1 SGD = 0.61397 EUR|
|Transfer method||Wire transfer||Online transfer|
|Transfer time||1-3 days||1-3 days|
|Amount received (in EUR)||€570.80||€613.97|
As you can see, not only can Jarkko send more than €43.17 extra using a money transfer company instead of his bank, but he can also save $19.02 in transfer fees.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Finland?
- Exchange rates. The higher the exchange rate the better, so look for a company that offers better rates than its competitors. However, be aware that some companies that offer fantastic exchange rates will also charge high fees.
- Fees. In most cases you will need to pay a transfer fee for each transaction, so make sure you’re aware of all the charges that will apply to your transfer before you commit. Some companies will also waive their fees on large transfers.
- Transfer methods. Consider the options available for lodging transfers – online, via an app, over the phone and/or by visiting a branch – and how they suit your needs.
- Transfer options. Does the provider allow you to set up a payment schedule for recurring payments? Are flexible options such as forward contracts and limit orders available to help you get your desired exchange rate?
- Minimum limits. Some companies impose minimum transfer limits on each transaction, for example, $500, and this may not be practical for your transfer needs.
- Transfer time. Consider how long each provider will take to get the money you transfer to your recipient. If you want an urgent transfer, your transaction will often cost extra.
- Pickup options. How can your recipient access the funds you send – can they collect cash from a branch or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. You need to be able to access help if you ever have a problem with a transaction, so check whether phone, email and live chat support options are available.
How do I send money to Finland from Singapore?
- Specialist transfer services. Specialist online money transfer companies, such as OFX and Wise, provide quick and easy transfers to Finland and other worldwide countries.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are the world’s two largest providers of this service, allowing your recipient to collect the cash you send from locations across Finland.
- PayPal. PayPal offers an international money transfer service that allows you to send funds all around the world.
- Bank transfers. Any major Singapore bank can help you send an international transfer to Finland – just watch out for high fees and poor exchange rates.
- International cheques. Your bank can also offer you the option of sending an international guaranteed cheque to Finland.
How do I receive money from Finland in Singapore?
- Specialist transfer services. There are several online money transfer companies that offer fast and affordable transactions when you want to send funds from Finland to Singapore.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Companies such as MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to collect cash transfers from convenient locations right across Singapore.
- PayPal. PayPal’s international money transfer service allows you to receive funds from around the world.
- Bank transfers. Another option is for the sender to transfer the funds from their bank account directly into your Singapore bank account.
- International cheques. Your overseas friend or relative could also send you an international guaranteed cheque which you could then cash with your bank.
Emergency cash transfers in Finland
If you need to send an emergency cash transfer to Finland – maybe your teenage son or daughter is backpacking around the world and has run out of money in Helsinki, for example – be aware of the fact that you will usually have to pay more for the privilege. Whether you’re using a bank or a specialist money transfer provider, higher fees and lower exchange rates often apply to urgent transactions, so it pays to read the fine print closely before you commit to a transfer.
Cash pickup locations in Finland/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Finland
Western Union and MoneyGram operate extensive worldwide money transfer networks, allowing you to send cash for pickup from locations across Finland. The details of some popular cash pickup locations in Finland are listed below, but it’s recommended that you contact a location ahead of time to confirm its location and whether sufficient cash will be available to complete a transaction. Photo ID and a transaction reference number will also be required when picking up funds.
- Forex Bank Stockmann Itakatu 1b Floor 1Helsingfors, Helsingfors FI 00930 +358-20-358207512560 Open 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday, open 9am to 6pm Saturday, open 12pm to 9pm Sunday
- Forex Bank Rautatieasema Asemahalli Helsinki, Helsinki +35-8207512519 Open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday
- Forex Bank Aleksanterinkatu 52 B Helsinki, Helsinki +35-8207512559 Open 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday and 12pm to 6pm Sunday
- Shell Liisanpuistikko Helsinki, Uusimaa 00170 +358-800-141414 Open 7am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm Saturday, 10am to 5pm Sunday
- Food & Jones Helsingin Rautatieasema Helsinki, 00100 468116807 Open 6am to 11:59pm seven days
- Change Group Mannerheimintie 14 B Helsinki, 00100 96980760 Open 10am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday, 10am to 6pm Sunday
- Change Group Hatanpaan Valtatie 1 Tampere, 33100 401619922 Open 10am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm Saturday, 12pm to 6pm Sunday
- Change Group Kauppakeskus Hansa. Kultatalo Eerikinkatu 15 Turku, 20100 401839289 Open Monday to Friday 10am to 8pm, Saturday 10am to 6pm, Sunday 12pm to 6pm
Tips for picking up cash in Finland
While Finland is a safe destination for Singaporean travellers, it’s important that you exercise a few simple safety precautions when picking up cash in Finland:
- Avoid any high-crime areas or places where you don’t feel safe
- Keep your cash concealed and avoid displaying it in public
- Take a friend along with you to act as a deterrent to thieves
- Don’t carry the cash around for any longer than is strictly necessary – deposit it in a safe place as soon as possible
What are the steps to send money to Finland?
The process for sending money to Finland varies depending on the company you choose to handle the transaction. However, you will generally have to follow these few simple steps:
- Sign up for an account. You will usually need to provide your full name, contact details, proof of ID and your bank account information.
- Provide transaction information. Next, provide details about where you are sending money and in what currency.
- Provide recipient details. You’ll need to provide your recipient’s name and contact details as well as their bank account information or their nearest cash pickup location.
- Complete the transaction. Once you’ve paid for the transfer, you will be given a reference number to help you monitor the progress of your funds.
More guides on Finder
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
Apps and bank accounts to split bills with friends
Compare a range of banks and apps that let you split bills, request money and send payments to friends.
KGI Securities Review
Learn more about KGI Securities’ online and mobile trading platform, KTrader and whether it suits your investment style.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Western Union vs. MoneyGram
We put MoneyGram and Western Union side by side to help you make a decision for your next local or international payment.
Aspire Corporate Card Review
Learn more about the features offered by Aspire Corporate Card, a free virtual debit card linked to your Aspire business account.
Find a money transfer location
Send cash to friends or family. Find an international money transfer service in your neighborhood.
Review: Remitly money transfers
Read our review of Remitly to discover why this fast, competitive option may be the best choice for your next international money transfer.
CGS-CIMB iTrade Review
Find out if CGS-CIMB is suited to your investment style in our review.
Take advantage of zero fees when you invest with Aviva’s online trading platform, dollarDEX.