Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to the Czech Republic
Understand what your options are when transferring funds to the Czech Republic.
Faced with an ageing population like Singapore, there is a high demand for medical software in the Czech Republic and Singapore’s healthcare technology has entered the market. The country’s connectivity and location in the heart of Europe also make them good logistic bases for companies, providing ample opportunities to sell to the wider EU market of 500 million consumers. With significant investment in the Czech Republic, more individuals and businesses in Singapore are making money transfers to the Czech Republic.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus money transfer companies
Marek is a second-generation Czech-Singaporean. Recently his brother and sister-in-law moved back to the Czech Republic after both accepted positions in a prominent law firm in Prague. Marek has just become an uncle and would like to send cash as a gift for his new niece. He has the choice between two money-sending services.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 =15.595 CZK||1 = 15.44 CZK|
|Amount received for $500||7,720.13 CZK||7642.63 CZK|
|Transfer time||1 to 4 working days||1 to 2 working days|
|Transfer options||Online transfer, bank transfer||Online transfer|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via the Czech Republic?
When comparing transfer services for getting money to the Czech Republic, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Exchange rates. The aim is to find a service that combines low fees and competitive exchange rates. This may impact on the delivery time, but your choice depends on how urgently the money needs to get to your recipient.
- Pick-up methods. Depending on what best suits the recipient, you can choose to have the money deposited directly into their account or have them collect it at the agency.
- Transfer methods. You can send money to the Czech Republic via bank-to-bank transfer, online transfer to a bank account, cash deposit to be collected at an agency or to a recognised pick-up point. Choose the service that best suits your requirements and fee expectations.
- Turnaround time. Some services can get the money to its destination within minutes, while others can take up to five business days. Often, you incur a higher fee for faster delivery.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Most transfer services specify a higher minimum amount when sending to certain countries.
- Customer service. Reputable money transfers services keep close track of transfers and send confirmations when the transfers land. You can contact your money transfer service on their direct lines provided on their websites, by email or visiting the agency in person.
How do I send money to the Czech Republic from Singapore?
When comparing money transfer services online, the money is sent in Singapore dollars and received in Euro, US dollars and Czech koruna. The following transfer services will get your money to its destination:
- MoneyGram. Money is sent in Singapore dollars and delivered in Euro, US dollars or Czech koruna. Recipients can collect money at a pick-up agency 15 to 20 minutes after the transfer has been effected. However, the service charges a fee for the transfer and currency conversion.
- Wise. This transfer service delivers within one to four working days, but you pay very low transfer fees. If your concern is saving on transfer fees rather than turnaround time, this would be a better option.
- Western Union. This online transfer service can have the money delivered to a pick-up point within minutes of the transfer. Money can also be deposited directly into your recipient’s bank account. Western Union has pick-up points and branches in major Czech cities.
How do I receive money from the Czech Republic in Singapore?
Here are a few money transfer options to consider for sending money to Singapore from the Czech Republic.
- WorldFirst. A well-reputed online money-transfer service, this company charges no transfer nor receiving fees. Money is deposited directly into the recipient’s account.
- FC Exchange. If you’re looking to transfer larger amounts, this service is ideal since it charges zero fees for transfers exceeding GBP 3,000 or currency equivalent. Otherwise, a transfer fee of $10 applies.
Emergency cash transfers in the Czech Republic
In case of an urgent transfer, you may have to pay an additional fee for faster delivery, but if its an emergency, a few extra dollars won’t make that much of a difference.
- Cash pick-up service. It’s the business of money-transfer companies like MoneyGram, Western Union and Ria to provide quick, convenient delivery at designated pick-up points. Check their locations online.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance will cover certain cases of theft, but you may have to wait a while before the payout is ready.
Cash pickup locations in the Czech Republic/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in the Czech Republic
If you’ve opted to use Western Union or MoneyGram to make a transfer, here are a few locations in Prague and Olomouc from which to make a collection.
- Ceska Posta
Italska 3 Praha 24
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm
- MoneyUnion SRO
Pasaz Legerova 101
Podchod Nad Muzeem Smer
Vinohradska Praha 1, 11000
Open Monday to Sunday 7am to 12am
- Unni Trading
Polska 1 Galerie Santovka Olomouc,
Czech Republic 77900
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm,
Saturday 9am to 7pm, Sunday 10am to 4pm
- Ceska Posta
Polska 1201 1 Olomouc,
Czech Republic 77006
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 7pm,
Sunday 10am to 4pm
Metro IP Pavlova
Prague 120 00
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 11:59pm,
Saturday and Sunday 8am to 10pm
- Mango Change
Prague 110 00
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm,
Saturday 9am to 6pm
- Smenarna Opava
Horni Nam. 1
Opava, 746 01
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm,
Saturday 8am to 12pm, Sunday 9am to 5pm
- VP Thuhien
BRNO, 627 00
Open Monday to Sunday 11am to 8pm
Tips for picking up cash in the Czech Republic
The Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises that you exercise normal safety precautions while travelling in the Czech Republic. That said, the influx of migrants has caused disruptions to public transport systems. Be aware of suspicious individuals and watch out for pickpocketing and other petty street crime. If you need to collect money from a pick-up point, make sure you get there during opening hours. If possible, take someone along – especially if you don’t speak the language.
What are the steps to send money to the Czech Republic?
Most money transfer services require that you register and become a member first. Signing up is quick and usually free. Most services will require some or all of the following information:
- Your name
- Email address and contact number
- The recipient’s name, address and bank details
You can do the transfer online whenever you like, or visit an agency. In most cases, you’ll also receive a reference or tracking number.
More guides on Finder
Take advantage of zero fees when you invest with Aviva’s online trading platform, dollarDEX.
Thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade review
Online trading platform offers advanced features and no monthly fees, but its stock trading fees are higher than the competition.
Review: Send international money transfers
If you’re thinking of transferring money overseas with Send, make sure you check out our review of its exchange rates, fees and transfer speed first.
Top money changers in Tampines
Find the best deal when you need to exchange foreign currency at a money changer in Tampines.
Money changers in Singapore
Find the best deal when you need to exchange foreign currency in Singapore.
Review: SingX international money transfers
You can make a fast, secure money transfer at the mid-market rate with SingX.
AFEX international money transfers
Send money to friends and family overseas with AFEX transfers.
Currency Solutions International Money Transfers
Add Currency Solutions to your comparison of money transfers and enjoy competitive rates and no fees.
Review: WorldRemit money transfers
WorldRemit is a money transfer service provider that allows you to send money to over 150 countries, with cash pickup options and competitive fees.
Review: Sending money with Wise (TransferWise)
Read our Wise review to see the exchange rates, fees and what to expect when you send a transfer.