Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Croatia
Find the best exchange rate and low fees when you send money to Croatia from Singapore.
A Mediterranean country that bridges Central Europe and the Balkans, Croatia is a beautiful country know for its culture, food, coast and people. Although part of the Europian Union, Croatia uses its own currency, the Croatian Kuna (HRK) instead of adopting the widely used Euros. If you have any reasons to send money to Croatia, read our guide to find the best ways to transfer funds from Singapore.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus money transfer companies
Hana lives in Singapore with her husband and three children. Her parents have just retired and decided to buy a house on the Dalmatian coast. Hana would like to share the cost of a new refrigerator and other appliances with her old sister still based in Croatia. After some research, she’s come upon two of the following service providers.
|Money transfer 1||Money transfer 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 = 4.59 Croatian kuna (HRK)||$1 = 4.54 HRK|
|Amount received for $500||4595.76 HRK||4542.72 HRK|
|Transfer time||1 to 2 working days||1 to 2 working days|
|Transfer options||Bank deposit||Online transfer, on the phone|
|Difference||53.04HRK (approximately $11.55)|
Money Transfer Service 2 offers a lower exchange rate but charges no transfer fee, hence, it’s cheaper to use Money transfer service 2 instead of Money transfer service 1.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money to Croatia?
- Exchange rates. Besides what you pay for the transfer service, it’s important to choose a service that offers a competitive exchange rate.
- Pick-up methods. Check with your recipient to see which pick-up method would suit them best, especially if they’re not mobile or far from a pick-up point.
- Fees. Even if a service offers a competitive exchange rate, make sure that you aren’t being charged service or conversion fees for the transfer. Sometimes a good exchange rate is negated by additional fees.
- Bank to bank transfers. If your recipient has a bank account with the same bank, you can effect a same-bank transfer, usually for no fee.
- Turnaround time. Depending on how urgently your recipient needs the money, you can choose between services that offer instantaneous delivery (Western Union, for example) or those that make money available within one to three working days.
- Transfer methods. The quickest way to send money is usually via online transfer, but you can also choose transactions concluded over the phone, in person or through your bank. Your choice depends on your preferred turnaround and fees you’re willing to pay.
- Transfer options. Besides just once-off transfers, you can also choose to set up regular scheduled payments, forwards contracts and market orders.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Some services require that you send a minimum amount, usually between $10 and $50. In some cases, fees are waived for transfers over a certain amount.
- Customer service. It’s imperative that the money transfer service has a reliable and efficient customer service. You should be issued a tracking number to use as a reference when making enquiries about the transaction’s status.
How do I send money to Croatia from Singapore?
Thanks to cordial relations between Singapore and Croatia, there are several ways to send money between the two countries. Here are a few to consider:
- Xendpay. This money transfer service will send money directly to your recipient’s bank account in Croatia. However, it only accepts the following currencies: GBP, EUR and USD.
- Western Union. Your recipient can collect the deposit at a Western Union agent or withdraw it from his or her bank account.
- Banks. Most Singapore banks will facilitate your transfer to Croatia but in Euros instead of Croatian Kuna. The receiving bank will then exchange it to Kuna, but may incur a fee and subject to less competitive exchange rates. Sending money between banks usually implies higher fees, but if your recipient has a bank account within the same bank, the transfer will be effected without a fee.
- Exchange4Free. This services facilitates bank-to-bank transfers for zero fees charged no matter the amount. Be sure to compare exchange rates and delivery time. You can effect a transfer online or by phone.
How do I receive money from Croatia in Singapore?
In the same way that recipients in Croatia can access their deposits quickly and easily, sending money from Croatia to Singapore is facilitated by several banks and online transfer services. If your priority is speedy delivery, your best bet would be an online transfer service like MoneyGram or Western Union. These services deliver within minutes and recipients can collect their money at a number of agencies or pick-up points.
- WorldRemit. This transfer service allows you to receive a transfer in Singapore within 10 minutes of the transaction being effected. Recipients can collect their money at a MoneyGram pick-up point.
- Paypal. One of the most recognisable and reliable money transfer services, Paypal facilitates instantaneous transfers between Paypal accounts and to bank accounts.
Emergency cash transfers in Croatia
If you find yourself in an emergency while in Croatia, there are a few ways to have money sent to where you are.
- Pick-up options. Transfer companies like Western Union and MoneyGram have pick-up points from which you can collect your deposit. Money is usually available within minutes of the transaction.
- Online transfers. These money transfer companies facilitate quick transfers between bank accounts, usually within one to three business days.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance policy will cover you for loss and theft while on holiday. Get in touch with your insurer, but make sure you’re eligible for cover before submitting a claim.
Cash pickup locations in Croatia / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Croatia
Below are a few locations from which to collect MoneyGram and Western Union transfers.
- Fina Dubrovnik
Fina Zagreb 5
Trg Svibanjskih Zrtava 1995 Br 1
Zagreb, 10000 +385-8000080Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 18h30, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- Splitza Banka
Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 20h00, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- Fina Dubrovnik
Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 18h30, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- Hrvastka Posta
Dr. Roka Misetic Bb
Open Monday 08h00 to 17h00, Tuesday to Friday 07h30 to 14h30
- TISAK INC.
Obala SV. Nikole 29Zagreb, 1000072500502Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 16h00
- Sberbank D.D.
Varsavska 9Zagreb, 10000+ 385014801378Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 19h00, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- TISAK INC. Dubrovnik-Ploce
5 Frana Supila Br. 5Dubrovnik, 2000072500502Open Monday to Saturday 07h00 to 21h30
- Sberbanks D.D.
Vukovarska 36Dubrovnik, 20000+38 5020358901Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 17h00, Saturday 09h00 to 12h00
Tips for picking up cash in Croatia
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises a normal degree of caution while in Croatia. While crime is relatively low, you should still be vigilant while travelling, especially if you’re collecting money from a pick-up point. Be sure to get there during opening hours and try to take someone along.
What are the steps to send money to Croatia?
Depending on the transfer service you choose, you’ll be asked to supply certain personal and financial details. Some online services require that you open an account before effecting a transfer.
You’ll be asked to supply the following:
- Your contact details
- Email address
- Bank account information
- Your recipient’s personal and bank account information
Once the transfer has been completed, you’ll receive a tracking number to use as reference when making enquiries.
More guides on Finder
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
Maybank exchange rates
See how much an international money transfer costs with Maybank versus other options.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
5 ways to pay for your overseas tuition
Learn how to pay tuition abroad to help make your international study dreams a reality.
Western Union vs. MoneyGram
We put MoneyGram and Western Union side by side to help you make a decision for your next local or international payment.
SGD to EUR exchange rate
Live exchange rates Singapore dollar to Euro. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to EUR.
Best international money transfer apps
Compare popular money transfer apps to get the most out of your mobile international transfer.
Find a money transfer location
Send cash to friends or family. Find an international money transfer service in your neighborhood.
Review: Remitly money transfers
Read our review of Remitly to discover why this fast, competitive option may be the best choice for your next international money transfer.
NETELLER Singapore Review
Discover features such as online payments, cryptocurrency wallet and international money transfers in this NETELLER review.