Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
FWD Maid Insurance Review
Affordable and comprehensive coverage for you and your domestic helper with customisable extras.
FWD’s Maid Insurance can help provide peace of mind by covering both you and your foreign domestic helper for expenses arising from unforeseen events, such as illness, accidents, hospitalisation, death and more. It offers three levels of cover to suit various needs.
More about FWD Insurance
Established in 2013, FWD is the insurance arm of Hong Kong’s investment conglomerate, Pacific Century Group. Since April 2016, FWD has offered a range of B2B and B2C insurance products in Singapore, including life, car, travel, personal accident and maid insurance.
With some of the most affordable premiums on the market, FWD’s Maid Insurance plans come with comprehensive coverage and a wide array of optional add-ons such as six-monthly medical examination cover and home contents protection. Check out FWD’s maid insurance options to see if they’ve got a policy that works for you.
What policies can I choose from and how do they compare?
FWD’s maid insurance is available to be purchased for either 14 or 26-months period and comes in three levels of cover – Essential, Enhanced and Exclusive.
We’ve listed the general overviews of the inclusions that come with each level of maid insurance coverage. For more detailed inclusions and exclusions for each benefit, make sure to check the insurer’s policy wording. Here’s the table of benefits for you as an employer:
|Cover Feature (For you)||Essential||Enhanced||Exclusive|
|Security bond plus|
|Outpatient expenses due to accident|
|Hospitalisation and surgical expenses (per year)|
|Wages and levy compensation|
|Alternative helper services compensation|
|100% cancellation refund|
These are the maximum benefit limits that are payable to your helper according to your selected plan:
|Cover Feature (For your helper)||Essential||Enhanced||Exclusive|
|Damage or theft of helper’s personal belongings|
Optional add-on protection
You may also customise your plan with extra coverage options. So if you’re on a tight budget, you can choose a lower level of cover and still be able to add on extended benefits that aren’t normally covered. These are the 6 optional financial protection for your consideration:
- Cashless outpatient medical expenses. If your helper falls sick and needs to visit the doctor, this add-on provides cashless cover for the cost incurred from consultation, prescription and diagnostic tests up to of $30 per outpatient visit at FWD’s network of clinics. However, you’ll need to pay the first $10 per visit plus any other amount that is not covered.
- Six-monthly medical examination. Save on the fees for MOM’s mandatory 6-monthly medical tests (6ME) for foreign domestic workers (for pregnancy and syphilis tests only). In addition, you’ve the option of getting the tests done either at your residence or at any FWD’s selected clinics.
- Performance bond for Philippine Embassy. If your Filipino domestic helper is going on home leave or to renew her passport, the purchase a Philippine Embassy Bond will be covered by FWD. If there’s a breach of bond, you’ll not be required to pay for any charges that arise from it.
- Top up hospitalisation & surgical expenses. Secure yourself against additional hospitalisation expenses for your maid or helper, worldwide.
- Daily hospital allowance. If your helper is admitted to a local hospital due to an illness or injury for a minimum of 3 consecutive days, FWD will pay a daily hospital allowance for up to 30 days.
- Home contents cover. You’ll be compensated for the loss or damage of your home contents in the case of theft by your maid, fire and burglary.
|Optional Cover Feature (For both you and your helper)||Essential||Enhanced||Exclusive|
|Outpatient medical expenses (up to $30 per visit with first $10 excess payment)|
|Six-monthly medical examination (only for pregnancy and syphilis tests)|
|Performance bond for Philippine embassy|
|Top-up hospitalisation and surgical expenses (per annum)|
|Daily hospital allowance|
|Home contents cover|
What does a maid policy from FWD cover?
Here are some benefits you can expect:
- Personal accident and hospitalisation benefit. Your helper or their beneficiary will receive up to $60,000 compensation for accidents resulting in death or permanent disability. In additional, medical expenses incurred for your helper’s hospitalisation due to illness or injury will also be reimbursed.
- Theft cover. Enjoy greater peace of mind knowing that your belongings are covered up to the insured sum, should there be a case of theft from your helper.
- Security bond. As part of the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) hiring requirement for foreign domestic worker (FDW), you’ll need to pay a $5,000 security bond for your helper. With this benefit, FWD will issue a Letter of Guarantee to MOM on your behalf to waive the $5,000 security bond so you don’t have to fork out the sum.
- Protection against unexpected expenses. You’ll be reimbursed for the employment agency fees incurred from replacing your helper if she was unfit to work due to an illness or injury, or has passed away. To qualify, you’ll need to hire another helper within 90 days from the date the last maid’s work permit was terminated.
What doesn’t my policy cover?
Here are some exclusions that the FWD maid policy will not cover:
- Claims arising from any breach of your helper’s work permit or work permit’s conditions.
- Daily hospital allowance claim if your helper is admitted to a hospital overseas.
- Home contents that were lost or damaged due to the lack of reasonable precautions.
- Home contents that were mysteriously lost or damaged, with no substantial evidence that it was the result of theft by your helper, fire or burglary.
- Incidents caused by intoxication by alcohol or non-prescribed drugs.
- Any incidents that resulted from actions caused by mental, psychological or psychiatric disorders
- Your claim arises from wilful participation by you, your family, or your helper in any act that is reckless or illegal.
- Any consequences of war, riot, revolution, or other similar events.
To find out how much it’ll cost to cover your maid, simply select your options and get an instant quote online via FWD’s website. Depending on your needs, choose either a 14- or 26-month plan, input your desired policy commencement date and your helper’s home country. Click “next” to view all the available options and pricing.
For a rough idea of how much a maid policy from FWD will cost you, take look at the table below indicating the costs for a 14-month cover on a new helper from the Philippines.
The three levels of cover are priced at $335.02 for Essential, $422.50 for Enhanced, and $497.50 for Exclusive plan.
Pros and cons of FWD maid insurance
- High-value plans. Ideal for first-time employers looking for a little bit of protection from everything without having to pay exorbitant premiums.
- Optional add-on covers. FWD offers multiple add-on covers so that you have the choice to only pay for the coverage you need, instead of paying a high premium for a fixed set of benefits that you may not necessarily need.
- Flexible cancellation policies. You may cancel your policy within 3 months from the start of the cover and receive a 100% refund for your premiums. Terms and conditions apply.
- Fees and bonds expense waiver. The policies include a waiver of indemnity and covers employment agency fees if there’s a need for you to re-hire another helper.
- Limited benefits in base plans. Since FWD offers several optional add-ons, you’ll need to consider what other areas of cover you might need as the base plan only include limited offerings.
- Low medical payout. While the plans offer extensive medical coverage in terms of scope, but its payouts are a little below the market’s average.
- Personal accident cover limit. Income’s maid insurance policy offers up to $80,000 in cover for accidental death or permanent disability; while FWD gives up to $60,000 in protection.
Getting your maid coverage from FWD
If you’ve compared your options and decide to obtain protection for your domestic helper from FWD, click on ‘Get a quote’ to proceed. Indicate the date you wish for the cover to start, the policy length (either 14- or 26-months) and select the country your domestic help comes from. Select your desired plan and add-ons, then proceed to the next page.
You’ll be required to input both you and your helper’s details, so make sure to have them on hand:
- Your personal details
- Your domestic helper’s details:
- Full name
- Work permit number
- Work permit type
- Date of birth
- SB transmission number
- Passport number
You’ll then receive a summary for your cover and may proceed to make payment for the insurance online.
How do I contact FWD?
If you have any enquiries, you may reach out to FWD through these contact details:
- Emergency Assistance (Available 24/7 worldwide): +65 6322 2072
- General enquiries : +65 6820 8888
These lines are open between the hours of 9am and 10pm from Monday to Friday, and 9am to 1pm for Saturday (excluding public holidays). Alternatively, you may send them an email at email@example.com or through an online contact form.
If you prefer to speak to a FWD representative face-to-face, you may visit their office located at 6 Temasek Boulevard, #18-01 Suntec Tower Four, Singapore 038986 from Monday to Friday between 9am to 6pm.
How to make a claim
To file a claim with FWD, simply head to its claims page through its website and select the policy you’re claiming from. On the form, you’ll be required to fill both your helper’s and your particulars (name, NRIC, contact number and email). Next, you’ll be required to provide details for your claim:
- Date, time and location of incident
- Detailed description of the incident
- Nature and extent of the damage, loss or injury
Finally, you’ll need to scan and upload other specific types of supporting documentation. Examples include medical reports, original invoices and receipts and police reports and any other relevant document. If were any third party property or injury involved, you’re required to provide its details and particulars. medical reports or other information.
Do note that all claims are assessed on a case by case basis and depending on the circumstances of your claim, further investigations may be required.
Compared to its competitor’s offerings, FWD’s maid insurance policies come with some of the lowest premiums and a wider breadth of coverage. With a variety of optional add-ons, you have more control over the type of coverage you’re paying for instead of an expensive all-in plan with benefits may not suit your needs.
Regardless of which level of cover you opt for, all the base plans include a cover for re-hiring expenses, MOM Waiver of Indemnity and provide a 100% premium refund for valid cancellation within the first 3 months.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Tiq ePROTECT maid insurance
Etiqa offers ePROTECT maid insurance for employers who require insurance coverage for their helpers at a competitive premium rate. Find out more about this policy here.
MSIG MaidPlus Insurance Review
Fulfil your hiring obligations and enjoy greater peace of mind with MSIG MaidPlus, a specialised insurance policy to protect your domestic worker from accidents, illness and more.
Maid Insurance Singapore
How to find the cover that meets the needs of you and your domestic helper.
Income Maid Insurance
Get up to $100,000 in cover, and more.