Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
DBS Debit Cards
Access your money and make day-to-day payments conveniently with a DBS debit card.
Whether you’re looking to grow your savings or unlock more value from your daily transactions, DBS offers a wide array of debit card options that can help you achieve these goals.
In this guide, we compare the various DBS debit cards so you can see how they stack up and choose one that best suits your needs, lifestyle and preferences.
About DBS bank
DBS Bank Ltd (previously known as The Development Bank of Singapore Limited) is a Singaporean multinational banking and financial services institution with a wide regional network and operations in 18 markets.
It offers a full suite of consumer, SME and corporate banking products, including bank accounts, credit and debit cards, loans, investment, insurance and more.
What debit cards does DBS offer?
- DBS Visa Debit Card. Earn up to 4% cashback (capped at S$20 per month) when you spend on online food delivery, local transport and in foreign currency (including online purchases). To be eligible, simply spend a minimum of S$500 on Visa and keep your cash withdrawals to S$400 and below in the same month. There’s also no foreign exchange fee when you link this card to any DBS multi-currency accounts.
- PAssion POSB Debit Card. Enjoy complimentary PAssion membership for 5 years, 1-for-1 deals and up to 4% rebate on every dollar spent at Cold Storage, Market Place, Jasons, Giant or Guardian stores. To qualify, simply spend at least S$400 per month on your card. Plus, get 1% cashback at Takashimaya Department Store and Takashimaya Square, B2.
- DBS Takashimaya Debit Card. For every S$10 spent on your DBS Takashimaya debit card, you’ll earn one Takashimaya Bonus Point. This translates to S$30 worth of Takashimaya vouchers for every 100 points you save, or 3% worth of voucher rebates. You’d also be entitled to an extra 10% off when you shop in-store at Takashimaya during special sales events.
- SAFRA DBS Debit Card. Earn up to 2% cash rebates in the form of SAFRA$ (SAFRA$1 is equivalent to S$1) on local Mastercard contactless transactions and online shopping.
- DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card. Benefit from 5% cashback on all spend in Chinese Yuan (CNY), 1% cashback on all other foreign currency spend and 0.5% cashback on all local spend.
Key features of DBS Debit Cards
- Contactless payments. All new DBS/POSB cards are automatically equipped with contactless payment technology – Visa payWave and Mastercard PayPass. This allows you to make in-store purchases faster as you tap-and-pay on any contactless payment terminal.
- Cashback, rebates and reward points. Most DBS debit cards offer some form of reward, such as cashback, rebates or points on certain types of purchases (e.g. contactless transactions or for spending at select stores).
- Perks and promotions. Benefit from a wide range of promotions on when you spend on dining, shopping, travel, healthcare, beauty and wellness and more with DBS partner merchants.
- Low fees. Unlike its credit cards, DBS doesn’t charge an annual fee for most of its debit cards.
- Mastercard, Visa or NETS. If your debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo you can sign for the transaction and use that card anywhere Visa or Mastercard is accepted, but many cards can also be used as a NETS card.
- Free memberships. Your debit card may offer you free membership or a loyalty program which can save you money in the long run. For example, the PAssion POSB Debit Card comes with a complimentary 5-year PAssion membership.
- Use for transport. If your debit card has a SimplyGo function, you can use it to tap on buses and trains.
- Advanced security. DBS debit cards are embedded with EMV chips, which offers enhanced security against fraud.
- SMS alerts. This function allows you to customise thresholds for transactions, and you’ll receive an alert if those thresholds are exceeded.
Fees and limits
While most DBS debit cards don’t charge any annual fees, do note that the DBS Takashimaya Debit Card comes with a nominal fee of S$5 p.a. (waived for 3 years).
Overseas usage of your DBS debit cards may incur additional fees, including:
- Foreign currency transaction fee. 3.25%
- Dynamic currency conversion fee. 2.8%
- Overseas ATM withdrawal fee. S$7 service charge per cash withdrawal
How to apply for a DBS Debit Card?
To apply for a DBS Debit Card, you’ll need to do so through the DBS website or directly from your digibank mobile app.
If you are an existing DBS customer you can apply through your internet banking; otherwise, new customers can use MyInfo with your SingPass. If you don’t have a SingPass account, you will need to manually complete a form and then provide documentation to support your application. Make sure to have this ready to go before applying and that you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Be at least 16 years old
- Hold one of the following DBS bank accounts: POSB Savings Account, DBS Savings Plus Account, DBS Autosave Account or DBS Current Account.
With cashback, rebates and a wide range of perks, DBS is known to offer some of the best value in the local debit card space.
However, choosing the right card is heavily reliant on your preferences and spending habits, making one of these DBS debit cards better suited for you than another:
- Best for everyday spend and contactless payments: DBS Visa Debit Card.
- Best for dining and grocery: PAssion POSB Debit Card.
- Best for spendings in Chinese Yuan (CNY): DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card.
- Best for frequent shoppers at Takashimaya stores: DBS Takashimaya Debit Card.
- Best for SAFRA members: SAFRA DBS Debit Card.
Compare a range of debit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card
The DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card is a travel debit card which offers multiple benefits as you spend on the move, including up to S$50 in cashback per month.
DBS Visa Debit Card
The DBS Visa Debit Card lets you earn up to 3% cashback when you shop.
DBS Takashimaya Visa Debit Card
Earn vouchers, special discounts and free delivery when you shop at Takashimaya with the the DBS Takashimaya Debit Card.