Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

Dealing with financial hardship

What to do when you're doing it tough.

While many Singaporeans stress about money, those experiencing financial hardship are under severe pressure to make ends meet. Typical situations that can put you under financial hardship include: losing your job, having to deal with large medical expenses, experiencing a relationship breakdown, struggling to meet debt repayments or just finding it hard to deal with everyday expenses.

This guide will take you through what financial hardship is and what to do when you’re experiencing it.

Apply for a Personal Loan with Lendela

Receive a customised personal loan that meets your financial needs.

  • Quick application
  • Borrow up to $200,000
  • Apply once and receive multiple personalised loan offers
  • Requirements to apply: 18-70 years old, Minimum monthly income of $1,200, Salaried Singaporean / PR / EP holder

What is financial hardship?

Financial hardship is when you are unable to, or are finding it extremely difficult to, pay your bills and everyday expenses. Financial hardship usually occurs after a change in your personal circumstances. This can include: losing your job, a personal relationship breaking down, the death of a loved one or having to cover unexpected medical expenses.

When you experience financial hardship, you may find yourself struggling to pay rent or mortgage payments, credit card or loan bills or even your everyday expenses.

What do I do if I’m experiencing financial hardship?

If you are experiencing financial hardship it’s important to utilise the services available to you. If you have any type of credit contract with a lender, such as a home loan, personal loan or credit card it could be good to consider a debt consolidation loan.

How to apply for hardship with your bank or lender

Banks and lenders have hardship programs in place to help you if you are experiencing financial hardship. Here’s how the process works:

  • You notify the bank about your financial hardship. This can be verbally or in writing and simply involves telling the bank you cannot, or think you cannot, afford your repayments.
  • The bank will ask you for information. This may include a statement of your financial position (income, expenses), details of your employment and income and evidence of your medical circumstances if relevant.
  • The banks will assess your application. It will take into account the reason for your hardship, your finances, your ability to rehabilitate your circumstances and whether you have received hardship in the past.
  • You will be notified of the outcome in writing. If the bank agrees to provide hardship assistance you need to comply with the terms of the agreement. If your hardship application is not approved your credit contract will not be altered.
  • If your application isn’t approved. The bank may suggest alternatives such as accessing early release of your super, government support programs or financial counselling.

What to do if you can’t pay your utility bills

If you are struggling to pay your electricity, phone or gas bills you need to contact your utility supplier. Similar to your credit provider, your utility provider will have a hardship process in place.

Once you call your provider you can ask to speak to a hardship officer who may help you work out a plan to pay the bill in instalments. You can also consider calling a financial counsellor at Credit Counselling Singapore.

If you are not happy with the response of your energy company to your application for hardship, you can lodge a complaint with the Energy Market Authority (EMA).

Where else to get help with financial hardship

If your application for financial hardship isn’t accepted or you don’t want to apply just yet, there are alternatives to consider. In addition to getting in touch with a financial counsellor at Credit Counselling Singapore, their website has a number of resources including online debt management, how to address problem debts and dealing with creditors. For health-related support, visit the Ministry of Health’s website for information on their various schemes and subsidies.

More guides on Finder

Ask Finder

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site