Entertainment credit cards
Entertainment credit cards offer exclusive deals and extra rewards on your entertainment spend.
An entertainment card can help you save money on movies, concerts and more while also giving extra rewards on the dollars you spend. We’ll help you choose the right card, and plan your entertainment expenditure to maximise the benefits.
Compare entertainment credit cards for 2019
What are entertainment cards?
An entertainment credit card is designed to provide benefits that make going out and having fun more affordable and more rewarding. Some credit cards are dedicated to maximising your entertainment benefits, while other cards include an extensive range of entertainment bonuses inside a wider package of benefits.
In essence, if you want to get more out of your entertainment spend you should look for a card that offers the right mix of discounts, rewards promotions and entertainment perks, covering the types of after-hours thrills you enjoy most.
How do they work?
You can expect to get special discounts on cinema tickets for example, or to enjoy a multiplier on the usual award earnings rate when you dine out, book holidays or go golfing. Benefits are designed to encourage you to spend more by providing more value for every dollar you spend.
Credit card companies usually offer these benefits for two reasons. First, merchants negotiate discounts for credit card holders because they are perceived to be high spenders who will bring in additional revenue. Second, your credit card company may charge an annual fee to help cover the costs of the entertainment benefits on your card.
Features of entertainment credit cards
- Extra rewards when you treat yourself. An entertainment credit card can give you bigger rewards when you spend money on leisure activities. Instead of a single reward point per dollar on purchases, eligible spending may earn you two, three or five points for each dollar you spend.
- A higher cashback rate. If your credit card is geared for cashback, you could see a higher cashback rate when you spend on cinema, travel, dining out and other leisure activities.
- Special discounts. Pay with your entertainment credit card and you could qualify for lower prices, 2-for-1 offers and more.
- Perks for cardmembers. Some merchants will offer a special perk such as a free drink when you book entertainment options with your credit card.
How to compare entertainment cards
- Benefits. Get the right benefits – a card which offers discounted or free access to a golf course will not benefit you if you are not a golfer. On the other hand, if you regularly go to the cinema you could save a lot if your card offers a discount on cinema tickets.
- Overall package. Credit card benefits vary widely and you should always see the entertainment benefits on your card in the context of the entire package. For example, you shouldn’t pass up big savings on fuel just to get a small discount on cinema tickets.
- Cashback. Keep an eye on high cashback offers. Sometimes the headline percentage is only offered on an initial level of spending, with a cap on the total available cashback.
- Charges and fees. Watch out for high interest rates and annual fees. Always make sure that the real value of the benefits you get on the card outweigh the annual fee and avoid keeping a balance on a card as it will attract interest.
Pros and cons
- Get more back. Cards with good entertainment benefits will get you more value for every dollar that you spend. If you spend heavily on entertainment these additional benefits can really add up to a big percentage return on your spend.
- Easy benefits. The mix of benefits on entertainment cards is often automatically applied. You should see automatic posting of higher cashback or increased rewards whenever you spend at eligible merchants.
- Free perks. Many entertainment cards offer benefits and perks without any cost to you, including cards with no annual fees.
- Benefit restrictions. Carefully consider the individual card benefits. Discounts and 2-for-1 offers may be restricted during peak hours, for example.
- High fees. Generous entertainment benefits are sometimes financed with very high annual fees. Even if your credit card offers benefits that save you money, you should make sure any savings cover the annual fee.
- Cashback limits. Cashback on entertainment spending is terrific, but credit card companies are wary of high spenders so you could find cashback is limited to a certain amount of spend, or a certain amount of paid cashback.
Be wary of temporary annual fee waivers. Your first year of holding an entertainment benefit credit card may be free, but the following years can land you with a high annual fee that erases the benefit you get from using the card for leisure spending.
You should also take a close look at the timing of offers and how permanent these offers are. The best entertainment credit card benefits tend to come and go, so check whether the benefits you are most interested in will continue for a suitably long period of time.
Frequently asked questions about entertainment credit cards
Read more on this topic
CIMB Visa Signature Credit Card Review The CIMB Visa Signature credit card offers cost-saving features and rewards. . Find out more with this guide.
ICBC credit cards If you’re seeking for a cashback credit card with exclusive privileges, ICBC has a handful of options for you to choose from. Find out whether an ICBC credit card is ideal for you.
OCBC Voyage Card Review With the OCBC Voyage Card, you can redeem your miles for flights without worrying about blackout dates. Plus your miles will never expire. Ever.
Standard Chartered NUS Alumni Platinum Credit Card Review The bank contributes to select NUS awards for every dollar you charge to your Standard Chartered NUS Alumni Platinum Credit Card.
Standard Chartered Platinum Visa Credit Card Review A rewards card with platinum privileges, the Standard Chartered Platinum Visa Credit Card offers generous points for every dollar spent.
Best secured credit cards with no annual fees If you need to rebuild your credit, a secured credit card is a great option. And a secured card with no annual fee? Even better.
How to find the best credit card for travel to Malaysia Find the best credit card to take on your next trip to Malaysia for your personal and business needs.
How to apply for a credit card as an expat or S Pass holder in Singapore Find out how you can apply for a credit card in Singapore if you're an expat or S Pass holder.
Citibank credit card balance transfer Learn how a Citibank credit card balance transfer works and whether it is right for your financial situation, credit needs and income level.
How to choose the best* credit cards for large purchases Find out what are the best credit cards you should use for large purchases.