Bank of China Credit Cards
Bank of China offers a wide selection of credit cards, so check whether there’s one that meets your needs.
Bank of China (BOC) credit cards offer a range of choices, whether you are seeking cash rebates, shopping deals, dining and travel perks or a no-fee credit card to use in emergencies. This review will outline the different cards available from (BOC) and the eligibility requirements so you can find the card to match your needs and lifestyle preferences.
finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
What options does BOC provide?
BOC offers a variety of credit card types including cards for low-income earners and students. There are also cards for those who travel to China or have frequent foreign exchange transactions and want to benefit from currency fee waivers.
BOC travel cards offer great deals on overseas spending as well as multiple bonus points on every dollar spent. If your interests are closer to home, and your expenses include family-friendly activities and entertainment, groceries, petrol, shopping or dining, there are cards you’ll want to check out, not just for the steep discounts but also for the chance to earn ongoing cash rebates.
What types of BOC credit cards are available?
Bank of China has credit cards to suit a broad range of income levels, lifestyle preference and business need. BOC student cards come without an income requirement. Shopping and grocery cards offer a wide array of cash rebates, discounts and deals on family needs and shopping, both online and offline. BOC travel cards as well as the Bank of China Dual Currency Diamond Card let you earn multiple reward points overseas.
Cashback or rebate credit cards
Rebate cards issued by Bank of China include the BOC Family Card and Zaobao Credit Card. You can earn rebates on everything from local and overseas dining, online purchases, supermarket shopping, on your hospital and telco bills and at a host of selected merchants. Bank of China F1RST Card also offers cash rebates on shopping, groceries and petrol.
Travel credit cards
- With the BOC Travel Card you can earn bonus points on your overseas spending. You gain exclusive 24-hour access to concierge assistance and a host of great deals in dining, shopping, travel and entertainment, not just in Singapore but also in Hong Kong, China and Macau. In addition, you are eligible for cash rebates at selected merchants.
- You can earn some of the same privileges with the BOC World MasterCard as well. It also awards bonus points on overseas transactions including shopping and groceries and steeply-discounted dining and entertainment privileges.
- BOC Dual Currency Diamond Card lets you earn rewards points overseas and is useful for those travelling to China because currency exchange charges waiver. It gives you the flexibility to pay in Singapore dollars or Chinese currency (RMB). You’re also entitled to 30% off remittance fees when sending money to Mainland China through any BOC branches. This card entitles you to 24-Hour concierge assistance worldwide.
- BOC Visa Infinite Card is useful for travelling since it waives all currency exchange fees (calculated at 1.5%). It comes with complimentary purchase protection and travel insurance of S$1 million, 2X bonus points on overseas spending (other than in RMB) and exclusive dining privileges at selected merchants.
Rewards credit cards
- BOC Elite Miles World MasterCard gives you opportunity to earn reward points on your overseas spending which you can redeem for dining vouchers, the latest gadgets or cash rebates.
- BOC Dual Currency Diamond Card earns Points on all your overseas spending other than on transactions in RMB.
- BOC Travel card entitles you to bonus points.
All three cards come with a 24-Hour Concierge service which provides assistance with dining reservations, delivery of flowers and gifts, securing concert and event tickets and making golf course reservations, among other things.
Grocery and shopping credit cards
Those who seek grocery and shopping deals and opportunities to earn multiple reward points may want to check out these cards from Bank of China:
- BOC Sheng Siong Card comes with a high rebate for groceries and transport spending on taxis, Grab and Uber. It requires no minimum spend to qualify for Sheng Siong grocery and fresh food supermarket rebates.
- If you love shopping offline or online, the BOC Shop! Card may be a suitable option. It offers cashback on online purchases, shopping at selected department stores and on bills you pay online.
- Other Bank of China credit cards offering shopping deals include BOC World MasterCard and BOC Travel Card. BOC F1RST Card for students and others also offers high discounts on dining and entertainment, together with cash rebates on shopping, groceries and petrol.
Student credit cards
- BOC Chinese Scholars & Students Association Platinum Elite Card comes with a perpetual annual fee waiver, welcome vouchers of S$1,000 and rewards including merchant privileges in Hong Kong, China and Macau. This card offers double bonus points on overseas spending, complimentary hotel reservations and services, and steep discounts on Travel Safe by China Insurance.
- Students may also apply for BOC F1RST Card which comes with a S$500 credit limit, cashbacks and high discounts on a variety of shopping, dining and entertainment options, as well as cash rebates on petrol and groceries. There is no minimum income requirement for students to apply for this card.
No annual fee credit cards
Bank of China has a number of credit cards offering perpetual lifetime annual fee waivers. These include:
- BOC Chinese Scholars & Students Association Platinum Elite Card
- BOC SCCCI Great Wall Affinity Card Platinum
- BOC Great Wall Corporate Card Platinum
You may also find card promotions offering waivers on the annual fee for the first year or first two years on cards like BOC Visa Infinite, BOC Family Card and the World MasterCard.
Balance transfer cards
Most credit cards issued by Bank of China allow you to do balance transfers at 0% interest for 3 and 6 months.
What benefits can I get with a Bank of China credit card?
- Rewards. You can redeem your BOC reward points under the loyalty programme for dining, leisure and retail vouchers from selected merchants and locations. You can also use your BOC bonus points to pay your annual card fees or to secure cash rebates. BOC reward points are time limited, so be sure to redeem your entitlement early before they expire. You can find more about the BOC loyalty programme, reward points and participating merchants on the BOC website.
- Complimentary extras. BOC 0% Interest Instalment Payment Plan is available for all BOC cardmembers. It allows you to pay for high value purchases in 6-, 12-, 24- and 36-month instalments at no cost. You can use this plan at more than 300 retail outlets island-wide.
- Easy and convenient mobile and digital payments. Visa Checkout makes online payment possible with your tablet, smartphone, or PC.
- Security. BOC credit cardholders are protected from fraudulent activity and identity theft for online payments. Transactions are secured with the One-Time Password (OTP) as well as through migration to EMV Smart Chip Cards that protect your data. You can sign up to receive BOC SMS Alerts on all transactions above S$100 that are charged to your BOC Card.
How can I apply for a Bank of China credit card?
Follow these steps to apply for your new Bank of China credit card:
- Compare the various BOC credit card options, reviewing their privileges, benefits and costs.
- Select the credit card that best suits you; considering your lifestyle, spending patterns, income and circumstances as well as your credit needs. Comparison tables make this easy.
- Check the eligibility criteria for your chosen credit card to ensure that you meet those requirements. Eligibility criteria may vary from card to card, especially income requirements, but you can expect the following:
- Age. You must be 21 years of age to apply for a BOC credit card.
- Minimum annual income. Except for some student cards, you must show earnings of S$30,000 if you are a Singapore citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR). The minimum is S$60,000 for foreigners. If your income does not meet the minimum requirement, you may be able to open a minimum Fixed Deposit of S$10,000 or a higher amount as collateral to get your credit card, if the bank agrees.
- Personal and contact details.
- Name as in NRIC/Passport
- NRIC number
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Home address
- Number of dependents
- Length of stay at address
- Expiry date of employment pass
- Home country ID number
- Preferred language
- Billing address
- Residential status (rented, parents’ employers’ mortgaged, other)
- Residential type
- Education level
- Email address
- Mobile number
- Home number
- Office number
- Overseas permanent address (for non-Singaporeans)
- Employment details. You will be asked to provide the name and address of the company where you are currently employed, the nature of the business and your position. It’s also necessary to explain how long you have been employed, your annual income, and information about whether you are a permanent employee or on contract (give the end date).
- Information about your credit card. You will need to provide the name you want to appear on your new credit card and your preferred credit limit. It’s also important so say whether you currently hold a Bank of China credit card.
What supporting documents and information will I need to submit?
- If fully salaried:
- Most recent Income Tax Notice of Assessment
- Most recent computerised payslip or the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Statement of Account for the last 6 months
- A photocopy of your National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) – both front and back
- If self-employed (variable income earners or those earning commission)
- CPF statement for the past 12 months or
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment for the last 2 years and
- Photocopy of your NRIC (both front and back)
- If you are a foreign national:
- The requisite income and tax documentation as above
- A photocopy of your employment pass which should be valid for at least 9 months and a copy of your passport.
Once you have all the documents and information lined up, click the “Go to Site” button to be taken to a secure application page, and then provide the required details and documents to submit your online application. You can also apply for a Bank of China credit card offline.
FAQs about Bank of China credit cards
Read more on this topic
UOB JCB Card Review Earn accelerated rebates when you spend at select Japanese merchants, both in Singapore and Japan.
Standard Chartered Priority Banking Visa Infinite Credit Card review The Standard Chartered Priority Banking Visa Infinite Credit Card awards bonus points on your banking relationship.
Standard Chartered Prudential Visa Signature Card Review Offset your insurance premiums with the points you've earned on the Standard Chartered Prudential Visa Signature Card.
Standard Chartered Manhattan $500 Card Review The Standard Chartered Manhattan $500 Card is an entry-level credit card for those earning less than $18,000 p.a.
Standard Chartered Visa Infinite X Credit Card Review The Standard Chartered X Credit Card is a sleek metal card that comes with both prestige and unlimited reward earn.
CIMB Visa Signature Card Review Benefit from up to 10% in rebates when you spend on beauty, grocery, online shopping, petcare and cruises with this credit card.
Citibank Lazada Card Earn up to 10X rewards points when shopping on Lazada. Other perks include savings on delivery and complimentary travel cover.
Citibank Cash Back+ Credit Card The Citibank Cash Back+ Credit Card lets your earn 1.6% cashback - with no limit or minimum spend - in any category.
UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card Review Earn points on your daily spending including shopping, dining, petrol, and more.
UOB Delight Credit Card Card Review Earn bonus rebates on groceries, contactless transactions and recurring bills with the UOB Delight Credit Card.