Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Bank of China Credit Cards
Bank of China offers a wide selection of credit cards, but which one meets your needs best?
Bank of China (BOC) credit cards offer a range of choices — whether you are seeking travel cards, no-fee cards or student credit cards. This review will outline the different cards available from Bank of China so you can find a card to match your needs and lifestyle preferences.
*Finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
What options does BOC provide?
BOC offers a variety of credit cards including cards for low-income earners and students. There are also cards for those who travel to China or frequently exchange foreign currencies and want to benefit from currency fee waivers.
BOC cards also come with a range of deals and rewards. For example, BOC travel cards offer deals on overseas spending such as multiple bonus points on every dollar spent. If your interests are closer to home and your expenses cover entertainment, groceries, petrol, shopping or dining, there are other BOC cards you may wish want to check out — not just for the steep discounts but also for the chance to earn attractive cash rebates.
Types of BOC credit cards available
Bank of China has credit cards to suit a broad range of income levels, lifestyle preferences and business needs. Here’s a quick summary of the different card types you may wish to consider.
Perks of a Bank of China credit card
- Rewards. You may redeem BOC reward points under the loyalty programme for dining, leisure and retail vouchers from selected merchants. You may also use your BOC bonus points to pay annual card fees or secure cash rebates. BOC reward points are time-limited, so be sure to redeem your rewards before they expire. You can find more about the BOC loyalty programme, reward points and participating merchants on the BOC website.
- Complimentary extras. The BOC 0% Interest Instalment Payment Plan is available for all BOC cardmembers. It allows you to pay for high-value purchases in 6, 12, 24 and 36-month instalments at no cost. You may use this plan at more than 300 retail outlets island-wide.
- Easy mobile and digital payments. Visa Checkout makes online payment possible with your tablet, smartphone, or PC.
- Security. BOC credit cardholders are protected from fraudulent activity and identity theft for online payments. Transactions are secured with a One-Time Password (OTP) and EMV Smart Chip Cards help protect your data. You may also sign up to receive BOC SMS Alerts on all transactions above $100 that are charged to your BOC Card.
How to apply for a BOC credit card
Before applying for a BOC credit card, be sure to check that you meet existing eligibility requirements. Eligibility criteria may vary from card to card, but you may generally expect the following.
- Age. You must be 21 years of age to apply for a BOC credit card.
- Minimum annual income. Except for select student cards, you must show earnings of $30,000 if you are a Singapore citizen or Permanent Resident. The minimum requirement is $60,000 for foreigners. If your income does not meet the minimum requirement, you may be able to open a minimum Fixed Deposit of $10,000 or higher as collateral to get your credit card.
If you meet the eligibility requirements above, you should then follow these steps for a quick and easy sign-up process.
- Compare the various BOC credit card options, reviewing their privileges, benefits and costs.
- Select the credit card that best suits you; considering your lifestyle, spending patterns, income and credit needs.
- Visit BOC’s website and apply for a BOC credit card online. In general, you may have to provide essential personal information, as shown below.
Personal information required
- Personal details and contact information
- Basic personal information: full name, NRIC number, salutation, date of birth, marital status, education level, and gender.
- Contact details: home address, length of stay at address, billing address, residential status, residential type, email address, and contact number.
- Citizenship information: expiry date of employment pass (if applicable).
- Employment details.
- You will be asked to provide the name and address of the company where you are currently employed, the nature of the business and your position. It’s also necessary to explain how long you have been employed, your annual income, and information about whether you are a permanent employee or on a contract.
- Information about your credit card.
- You will need to provide the name you want to appear on your new credit card and your preferred credit limit. It’s also important to declare whether you currently hold a Bank of China credit card.
Supporting documents and information required
For fully-salaried individuals
- Most recent Income Tax Notice of Assessment
- Most recent computerised payslip or CPF Statement of Account for the last 6 months
- A photocopy of your NRIC – both front and back
For self-employed, variable-income or commission-based earners
- CPF statement for the past 12 months or
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment for the last 2 years and
- Photocopy of your NRIC (both front and back)
For foreign nationals
- The requisite income and tax documentation as above
- A photocopy of your employment pass which should be valid for at least 9 months
- A copy of your passport
These documents must be submitted along with your application to back up the personal details you’ve already provided. You may also choose to apply for a Bank of China credit card offline at any BOC branch.
FAQs about Bank of China credit cards
More guides on Finder
BOC Visa Infinite Card Review
With cash rebates, lounge access, no currency exchange fees and priority medical bookings, the BOC Visa Infinite Card is worth checking out.
BOC Elite Miles World Mastercard Review
Earn double the points abroad than you can at home with the BOC Elite Miles World Mastercard.
BOC Zaobao Credit Card Review
With the BOC Zaobao Credit Card, you’ll earn points as you spend and enjoy petrol savings and cash rebates.