CIMB StarSaver Account review
Earn competitive interest rates with this combined current and savings account.
The CIMB StarSaver account offer higher interest rates as you grow your balance. Learn more about CIMB StarSaver account and if it fits your banking needs.
Fall below monthly fees
Maximum annual interest rate
What's in this review?
- Features of the CIMB StarSaver account
- How does the CIMB StarSaver account work?
- Benefits of the CIMB StarSaver account
- What to look out for
- Compare with other savings accounts
- How do I open a CIMB StarSaver account?
- How do I contact support?
- Compare the CIMB StarSaver Account
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Features of the CIMB StarSaver account
- Competitive interest rates. The CIMB StarSaver account offers three interest tiers based on the size of your account balance.
- Access over 6,000 CIMB ATMs. Use your ATM card at over 6,000 CIMB ATMs located across the region.
- Complimentary cheque books. You’re entitled to unlimited free cheque books with this account.
- Zero fees. This account doesn’t come with any opening, monthly or fall below fees. However, you’ll need to maintain at least $5,000 to accrue interest.
- Cash upfront trading. You may link your CIMB StarSaver account to your CGS-CIMB Securities Cash Trading account and make payments directly through the CGS-CIMB Securities trading portal – CGS-CIMB iTrade.
How does the CIMB StarSaver account work?
The CIMB StarSaver account is a combined checking and savings account that offers three competitive interest tiers based on the size of your account balance. You’ll be able to accrue interest as long as you have a minimum balance of S$5,000.
The bonus interest rates are accurate as of 21 October 2020 and are subject to change:
|Account balance||Prevailing interest (p.a.)||Rates effective from 1 November 2020 (p.a.)|
*Do note that CIMB will revise its interest rate with effect from 1 November 2020.
Benefits of the CIMB StarSaver account
The CIMB StarSaver account include the following advantages:
- No complicated conditions. Unlike many other bonus saver accounts in Singapore, you’ll not be required to fulfill a range of criteria to be eligible for higher interest rates with the CIMB StarSaver account.
- Shariah-compliant equivalent available. The CIMB StarSaver-i account is also available if you require the Shariah-compliant equivalent of this account.
- Fast and simple application. The online form takes about five to 10 minutes to complete.
What to look out for
Before applying for the CIMB StarSaver account, make sure to bear these in mind:
- No bonus interest for any additional balance over $1,000,000. Subsequent balance over $1,000,000 will accrue a flat 0.4% p.a. (0.3% p.a. after 1 November 2020) interest rate.
- Initial deposit. You need to deposit at least S$5,000 to set up this account.
- Early account closure fee. There’ll be a $50 penalty if you decide to terminate the account within six months of setting up.
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I open a CIMB StarSaver account?
To apply for the CIMB StarSaver account, you may do so online or in-person at your nearest CIMB branch. Existing CIMB customers can apply via CIMB Clicks under e-Application.
Before applying, you should make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the required documents on hand. Note that the CIMB StarSaver account requires an initial deposit of S$5,000.
Online application process
- Click on the ‘Apply now’ button on the CIMB StarSaver account page.
- Indicate if you’re a new or existing CIMB customer.
- Select your preferred mode of application.
- For customers with SingPass: click on ‘Apply with MyInfo’. This will allow you to prefill the application by retrieving personal data from MyInfo.
- If you don’t none of the above, click on ‘Proceed to complete form’ to fill up a short online application form.
- Fill in the required fields and upload any necessary documents.
- Submit your application.
- Allow time for CIMB to get in touch with further instructions.
To apply for a CIMB StarSaver Account, you must be:
- A Singaporean, Singapore PR or foreigner with a valid visa.
- At least 18 years old.
If you’re a new CIMB customer, make sure to have the following documents on hand:
- Singaporeans and permanent residents:
- Front and back photocopy of your NRIC/passport
- Proof of residential address (if it’s different from the one in your NRIC)
- Valid passport
- Proof of employment/study or visit pass
- Proof of residential address: e.g. utility bills, telco bills, bank statements or letters from government bodies dated within the last 3 months.
How do I contact support?
If you have any enquiries, you may reach CIMB directly through the following contact details:
- Customer service hotline. 6333 7777
- Email. email@example.com
Compare the CIMB StarSaver Account
Due to the coronavirus outbreak this year, most banks in Singapore have adjusted their interest rates in the recent months. Similarly, the interest rates for the CIMB StarSaver account will also be revised starting from 1 November 2020.
Since the nationwide interest rates have decreased, the CIMB StarSaver account may still be worth your consideration if you prefer a simply and hassle-free way of earning competitive rates. This account doesn’t require you to meet any complicated criteria or spend to achieve higher interest. To unlock higher interest rates, all you need to do is grow the size of your account balance.
But applying for the CIMB StarSaver account, make sure you’ve compared it with other high interest savings accounts in Singapore to find one that best suits your needs.