The “world’s first” physical Bitcoin exchange traded fund (ETF), the Purpose Bitcoin ETF (TSX:BTCC), has officially launched on Canada’s Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX). This means you can now buy units in the ETF through a global stock broker or online stock trading platform.
While this is simple enough if you’re Canadian, Singaporeans wanting to invest in BTCC will need to a do a little homework. There are limited brokers that offer Canadian stocks or ETFs in Singapore and often the fees to invest are much higher than if you’re buying US or Singapore-based securities.
One online broker that offers $0 brokerage trades on Canadian securities is CMC Markets. Other brokers include Saxo Capital Markets, DBS Vickers, Phillip Capital and Interactive Brokers. You can check out how other brokers compare in the comparison table below.
How to buy the BTCC ETF
- Compare online brokers. To invest in exchange traded funds (ETFs) listed in Canada, you’ll need to sign up to an ETF broker platform with access to Canadian stock exchanges. Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, such as your government-issued ID and residential address. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for the Purpose Bitcoin ETF. Find the ETF by name or ticker symbol: BTCC. Research its history to confirm it’s a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until the Purpose Bitcoin ETF reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today’s price, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market’s ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you’ve invested in the Purpose Bitcoin ETF. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your ETF performs with an eye on the long term.
What we know about BTCC
The Purpose Bitcoin ETF began trading on Thursday in Canada under the ticker symbols TSX:BTCC.B and TSX:BTCC.U. The BTCC.B fund is Canadian dollar denominated while the TSX:BTCC.U version is US dollar denominated. Neither option is currency hedged.
Launched by Purpose Investments and headed by CEO/founder Som Seif, the fund is designed to give investors exposure to the digital currency by investing in physically settled Bitcoin.
Although it has been called “the world’s first Bitcoin ETF” by the TSX, it’s worth noting that other “Bitcoin-themed” or blockchain ETFs do exist, although they track companies with exposure to digital currencies, rather than physical/digital Bitcoin. BTCC is the first direct custody Bitcoin ETF.
There are also several cryptocurrency funds available in Europe that behave similarly to ETFs. To check out other Bitcoin-related ETFs, check out our cryptocurrency ETF guide.
At time of writing, there are no cryptocurrency ETFs listed on the Singapore Exchange (SGX).
Compare global ETF brokers
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How to invest in ETFs
To find out more about ETFs, you can head to our guide on how to invest in exchange traded funds or click on the video below.
More guides on Finder
AvaTrade review: Forex, and CFD broker
Read our AvaTrade review to find out if its right for your trading needs and the simple steps you can take to sign up for an account.
How to buy N/A (N/A) stocks in Singapore
Steps to owning and managing N/A, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Bitcoin ETFs from Singapore
Bitcoin ETFs are coming to market. Here’s how you can invest in them.
How to buy Valkyrie Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BTF) from Singapore
The second Bitcoin future ETF is set to go live Oct. 22. Here’s how to invest if you’re in Singapore.
How to buy ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BITO) from Singapore
ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF is the first fund tied to the value of a cryptocurrency to trade on the major U.S. markets. Here’s how to invest if you’re in Singapore.
How to buy Cardano (ADA) in Singapore
Cardano (ADA) is an entirely new cryptocurrency network built from scratch. See what makes it unique, and where you can buy it.
How to buy stocks online
Learn how to buy stocks online by following our 7 step guide for Singaporeans.
What are Singapore’s blue chip stocks?
What are Singapore’s top blue chip stocks and should you invest in them?
Libertex offers zero spreads on 250+ tradable assets, including stocks, cryptocurrencies and ETFs. Learn more in our review.
Find the best trading platforms in Singapore (2021)
Compare stock trading apps to find out which app has all the tools and resources you need to reach your investment goals.