How to choose the best air miles credit cards with free airport transfer
Compare air miles credit cards that come with complimentary airport transfer.
Airport transfers were once a commonly offered perk on mass market miles cards. However, in recent years, there are fewer cards that offer this benefit which allows you to travel to the airport in comfort and style.
We’ll take a look at the benefits of airport transfer services and help you compare credit cards that offer this privilege.
Compare credit cards with free airport transfers
How does free airport transfer work?
Airport transfers are pre-arranged transportation for travellers between their pickup location (whether it’s the hotel, attraction or any other eligible location) and the airport, or vice versa. They are chauffeur-driven and pre-booked with a third party provider, which is usually the credit card issuer’s partner agent. Depending if you’re an individual travelling for business or leisure, you can request for private cars, limos, or even vans for larger groups.
Benefits of airport transfers
There are a few benefits that come with airport transfers. These include:
- Convenience. Airport transfers eliminate the hassle and stress of finding your way around, hailing a taxi or lug heavy pieces of luggage onto public transportation.
- Complimentary or pre-paid services. If your credit card entitles you to free airport transfers, it’s definitely worth taking advantage of the service instead of paying for a normal taxi. However, if you’re paying for the transfer, the service may still be more cost-effective if you’re splitting the hefty price with your travel companions. Also, having your transportation taken care of (including payment) before you arrive at the airport can also save you from needing to deal with unexpected costs or last-minute booking woes.
- Flexible pick-up times. With airport transfers, you don’t need to worry about the challenge of getting a taxi during peak hour. Many of these private drivers will monitor their passengers’ flights, so they can adjust the pick-up times if there are any delays.
What types of cards offer free airport transfer?
Free airport transfer is not the most common perk available on mass market cards in Singapore and is usually offered by travel or prestige credit cards. These cards generally come with an array of other top-notch privileges such as travel upgrades, airport lounge access, global concierge, hotel memberships, green fees waiver and exclusive lifestyle deals.
How to choose a credit card that offers free airport transfer
First, narrow your choices down to those credit cards that do provide complimentary airport pickup or dropoffs. Make sure to check the terms and conditions for other details related to the service:
- Minimum spending. Credit cards typically require you to meet a minimum spend before you qualify for the complimentary transfer service. Check how much you’d need to charge to the card to meet the spending threshold and if it’s within your spending habits.
- Number of free transfers. Pay attention to the maximum number of times you can enjoy the airport transfer services in a year. Some cards cap your allowance by year, others by quarter, others by month.
- Airport pickup or dropoff. Most cards only offer airport dropoff as there’s a lower risk of “dead time” in situations such as flight or immigration delay, or no-shows.
- Other terms and conditions. Check if the service may incur additional fees such as midnight surcharges, penalties for additional waiting time, additional dropoff/pickup points and cancellation deadlines.
- Reward type. Credit cards generally come with rewards to incentivise cardholders to spend. Reward types can come in various forms including air miles, cashback offers and points schemes. Be sure to choose a card that provides you with the type of rewards that suits your lifestyle.
- Fees. Check for all the fees and charges associated with the card, such as annual fees, cash advance fees, late payment fees and overdraft fees. Always read the fine print attached to your credit card before committing.
- Card features. If you’re after a certain feature besides airport transfers, check that the card you want offers it. Some features to look out for may include global ATM access, complimentary airport lounge access, exclusive deals and more.
What to look out for
While paying your insurance premiums by credit card can be convenient, there are some stumbling blocks to try and avoid. These include:
- Higher fees. Credit cards that come with complimentary airport transfers also tend to come with higher annual fees. While this premium service allows you to travel in style, you’ll have to decide whether the higher associated fees will outweigh the potential savings of the card.
- Interest rate. Premium credit cards generally charge a higher interest rate. So if you only make the minimum payment each month, you may incur high interest on your remaining balance.
Travel credit cards are comparatively more expensive in terms of annual fees and require a higher minimum spend to qualify for its premium benefits. Complimentary airport transfer service is just one of the many privileges often offered by these cards. If you frequently travel for business or leisure, these air miles credit cards can be more valuable than other options available in the market.
If you want a credit card that offers free airport transfer service, then start comparing your options today.
Frequently asked questions
Picture: Getty Images