Sesame Cash checking account review
This innovative debit Mastercard helps reward you for improving your credit score.
The Sesame Cash checking account offers instant cashback offers at multiple local and national retailers. It also rewards you with cash for improving your credit rating and allows you to check your score as often as you’d like in the app. But if you need access to loans, credit or investment options, it likely won’t be the right fit.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Alexa Serrano is an editor at Finder specializing in banking and kid’s debit cards. A certified anti-money laundering specialist, Alexa helps guide readers to the best savings and checking accounts for their financial goals. Her expertise has been featured on top publications including Best Company, U.S. News & World Report, MSN and Yahoo. And she’s frequently interviewed by broadcast news publications across the country, including Fox News and NBC News. Alexa earned a BA in English from Wesleyan College and enjoys reading memoirs in her spare time.
Overall, Sesame Cash is a solid option if you’re looking to add a powerful new debit card to your financial toolkit or are interested in incentives to improve your credit score through rewards. But if you have banking needs outside of simply storing and getting access to your cash, you might want to explore your other options.
How do I open a Sesame Cash Account?
To create a Sesame Cash account:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Visit the Credit Sesame website and click Enroll now.
- Enter your email address and create a password.
- Enter your name, date of birth, home address and phone number before verifying your identity.
- Link another bank account to fund your new account to receive your new debit card.
To be eligible for this account, you’ll need to be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A US citizen.
To get you set up, you’ll need to provide your:
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
What are the benefits of Sesame Cash‘s checking account?
Like with most digital banks, you can get your direct deposit up to two days early and freeze or unfreeze your card at any time. This account also comes with these unique benefits:
- Minimal fees. You won’t pay a dime to maintain your account, or for foreign transaction fees, overdraft fees or other traditional banking fees.
- Earn cash rewards. Get paid cash when you improve your credit score.
- Free daily credit score checks. So you won’t have to worry about checking your score too often.
- Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay integration. The Sesame Cash card offers many ways to pay.
- Security protection. Free $1 million in ID theft insurance and 24/7 ID restoration assistance.
What should I look out for?
As with most digital banks, it doesn’t offer any products for loans, investment options, or credit cards. A few other drawbacks to keep in mind:
- Lack of physical locations. Though having no locations keeps fees low, it can be an issue if you like to speak with people in person.
- Out of network fees. While there are no direct fees, you will incur fees for out-of-network and international ATM usage.
Sesame Cash‘s ATM network and feesSesame Cash allows free withdrawals at over 55,000 ATMs worldwide and allows you to pay with Samsung pay, Apple Pay and Google Pay. Its debit card also gives you instant cashback at multiple retailers. However, if you use an ATM that’s out of Sesame Cash‘s network, there will be some fees.
- Out-of-network ATM withdrawal: $2.50
- International ATM withdrawal: $2.50
- Account closure with check refund: $2.00
Compare Sesame Cash with other debit cards for kids
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
The main way to deposit money in your Sesame Cash checking account is through the app. It does not offer mobile check deposits. Instead, Sesame Cash recommends you download the app Ingo Money.
- Direct deposit
- Manually transfer money from a different account
- Use one of 55,000 in-network ATMs for free.
- Use an international or out-of-network ATM for a $2.50 fee.