Serenity car insurance review
Affordable auto insurance for high-risk drivers requiring an SR-22 or other special coverage.
- Get a quote if you want a broker to help you choose from multiple providers.
- Pick something else if you have a good driving record and want discounts.
- Drivers who have let their coverage laps in the past can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Tennessee, Washington|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months|
|Claims methods||phone, in-person|
|New car protection||No|
- Top insurer for high-risk drivers
- Accepts drivers with multiple DUIs
- Provides SR-22 filings
- Not the best rates for low risk drivers
- Not many discounts
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Kelly Waggoner is editor-in-chief of Finder US. She's worked with publishers, magazines and nonprofits throughout New York City, including ghostwriting a how-to on copyediting for the Dummies series. Between projects, she toys with words, flips through style guides and fantasizes about the serial comma's world domination.
Serenity Insurance is go-to broker for high-risk drivers, especially those with DUIs, DWIs and similar offenses on their records. Serenity is best for high-risk drivers looking for at least the minimum coverage required by their state at a price that won’t break the bank.
But it’s not only tickets that can knock you into the high-risk category. If you’re newly licensed, have poor credit or let your coverage lapse in the past, it might be more difficult to sign on with cheap rates. Knowing the needs of its core group of drivers, it provides support you might not find with big-name providers.
If you’re having trouble finding coverage elsewhere, see if Serenity Insurance can connect you one of the providers in its network. Otherwise you’ll find better rates and perks elsewhere.
Who is Serenity Insurance best for?
Serenity is best for high-risk drivers looking for at least the minimum coverage required by their state at a price that won’t break the bank — especially drivers whose records include DUIs, DWIs or other high-point infractions.
But it’s not only tickets that can knock you into the high-risk category. If you’re newly licensed, have poor credit or let your coverage lapse in the past, it might be more difficult to sign on with cheap rates.
Serenity boasts that it was the first insurance provider in the US to offer insurance to those requiring an SR-22, potentially giving it an edge over bigger providers in the industry.
What is Serenity Insurance?
Unlike a direct insurer, Serenity Insurance is an auto insurance broker focused on serving drivers with DUIs and other offenses. Providers in its network include Progressive, The General, Kemper, Dairyland, NGIC, Infinity and Commerce West.
In business for more than 20 years, it calls itself the “SR-22 expert” focused on helping high-risk drivers get back on the road. If you need an SR-22 to reinstate your license, Serenity takes you on, submitting to the DMV confirmation that you meet the state’s minimum liability laws.
Serenity’s founder and CEO, Thomas A. Black, founded the company on the belief that people with DUIs deserve an insurance company that understands and respects them.
Does Serenity Insurance offer other types of insurance?
Serenity’s focus is on auto insurance, but it also offers RV, boat and motorcycle insurance for high-risk drivers.
- Motorcycle insurance. Policies available for motorcycles, scooters and mopeds, as well as SR-22 insurance if needed.
- Boat insurance. Insured options include liability, total loss replacement and emergency towing on the water.
- RV and trailer insurance. Insured options include total loss replacement, 24-hour roadside assistance, emergency vacation expense, a full-timer’s package and replacement costs for personal expense.
What car insurance providers are similar to Serenity Insurance?
There aren’t many providers that cater specifically to high-risk drivers. Among those that do are The General, Geico Casualty and Titan Insurance.
These direct insurers file SR-22s for high-risk drivers, allowing them to get back on the road with their state’s minimum coverage.
What car insurance coverage does Serenity Insurance offer?
Serenity works with seven insurance providers to offer coverage to high-risk drivers, including those requiring an SR-22. All policies include the minimum coverage necessary needed to reinstate your license after a DUI or other driving offense.
Speciality policies that fulfill both your state’s minimum liability and SR-22 requirements include:
- SR-22 filings. Satisfies the requirements to get you back on the road.
- Non-owner car insurance. Fulfills your state’s minimum liability requirements if you don’t own or have access to a vehicle but need insurance. Policies cover liability only, which means other parties in an accident are covered but your personal damages are not. Not available in Colorado, Maryland, New Jersey or New York.
- Broad form insurance. Fulfills your state’s minimum liability requirement and covers any victim’s damages resulting from an accident, but not your own. It’s available in Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Tennessee and Washington only.
What discounts can I get with Serenity Insurance?
The providers in Serenity’s network tend to avoid the discounts that can apply to other policies, like those for improved driving or getting good grades.
Instead, Serenity focuses on getting you back on the road after a DWI, DUI or other serious offenses.
Pros and cons of Serenity
- Top insurer for high-risk drivers. Serenity focuses its policies on drivers who might have trouble finding coverage elsewhere.
- Accepts drivers with multiple DUIs. Drivers with DUIs and DWIs aren’t turned away for coverage.
- Provides SR-22 filings. When you pick up a policy with Serenity, the provider files all the necessary paperwork to reinstate your license.
- Not the best option for good drivers. Serenity’s focus is on high-risk drivers. If you have a good driving record, you’ll likely find a better rate elsewhere.
- Not many discounts. Serenity works to get its high-risk customers back on the road, avoiding multiple policy and other discounts its competitors can provide.
Compare Serenity to alternatives
What do customers say about Serenity Insurance?
Overall, customer satisfaction is mostly positive, with many customers highlighting the helpful and responsive support. As of this writing, Serenity earns a high 9.5 out of 10 on Trustpilot, with 88% of its reviews positive.
Serenity’s reps often respond to any negative reviews. This shows the company holds good customer experience in high regard.
Accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2010, Serenity Insurance earns an A+ rating with the BBB, with only four complaints in three years.
How do I apply for a policy with Serenity?
Get a quote in minutes by calling Serenity’s customer support at 800-774-0520 weekdays from 5:30 am to 6 pm PT.
You can also start your application online, but you’ll need to eventually speak with an agent to receive a quote:
- Go to Serenity Insurance’s website and click Get a Quote.
- Enter your name, gender, age, ZIP code, email and phone number. Indicate whether you have a vehicle or require an SR-22 filing, then click Submit.
- An agent will get in touch with you with a quote.
What information do I need to apply?
You’ll need to provide your contact information, financial details for billing as well as information on any vehicles you own — including the VIN, make and model.
Depending on the provider you’re matched with, you may need to submit further documentation to complete the process.
How do I find an Serenity Insurance agent near me?
Serenity is an online broker that doesn’t operate out of physical brick-and-mortar locations.
After you’re matched with a provider in its network that’s willing to provide you with a policy, you may be able to visit a physical location to speak with an agent or pay your policy. If that’s important to you, ask the rep when you receive a quote.
How do I make a claim?
Serenity doesn’t offer the ability to start a claim online. Instead, you’ll need to contact the provider Serenity connected you with for a policy.
Serenity representatives can provide contact information the provider it’s matched with, if you don’t have it on hand.
How to contact Serenity Insurance
Contact Serenity’s customer service team at 877-215-4610 weekdays from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. PT and Saturdays from 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT.
During business hours, you may be able to speak with a representative via Serenity’s live chat. Go to the site, click Contact Us in the top bar and then click Chat with a Specialist.
For general questions about policy documents and billing, send a message through Serenity’s Contact Us page. A representative will be in contact within one business day.