Sentry commercial auto insurance review Jul 2020
Compare business policies that cover your company car or fleet and everything in between.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want one-on-one support.
- Pick something else if you want to purchase your policy online.
- Businesses who need to insure multiple drivers will like the tailored coverage.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Lifetime repairs guarantee||
- Dedicated claims system
- One-on-one support
- Tailored coverage
- Limited transparency
- No online purchasing
- Many customer complaints
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Paid in full discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
Sentry is an established business auto insurance provider offering a wide range of industry-specific policies nationwide with hands-on service. You’ll have access to 24/7 claims filing but there have been complaints about support. Also, availability varies depending on where you live and the industry you work in.
Where is Sentry commercial auto insurance available?
Sentry protects customers in all 50 states, but availability depends on your industry, your business’s location and the type of policy you’re interested in. Reach out to a local agent to explore whether your closest office offers car dealership, trucking, fleet or healthcare industry protection.
What commercial auto insurance coverage does Sentry offer?
Sentry specializes in business auto insurance. Its policies range from those covering company cars or trucks, vehicles fleets, even dealerships.
Sentry offers a lineup of business auto insurance policies that cater to industry needs:
- Trucking insurance. Covers individual trucks or fleets through a network of more than 70 specialized agencies.
- Commercial auto insurance. Covers company vehicles you lease, rent or own for business use against accidents and other damage.
- Dealership auto coverage. Flexible liability and physical damage coverage options for company vehicles and inventory.
- Commercial auto liability. Protects your business if one of your employees or customers is liable for injuring or damaging the property of another person.
- Motor carrier insurance. Covers your employees driving rented vehicles for company business and protects you against losses due to bodily injury or physical damage, loss-of-use expenses due to the theft of a company vehicle and the loss of personal items in a stolen company vehicle.
- Motor truck cargo insurance. Covers cargo, losses due to mechanical reefer breakdown, debris removal and freight charges you’ve earned but can’t collect after a covered loss.
- Physical damage insurance. Covers the costs of repairs, replacement or actual value for damaged vehicles, both on the road and in your lot.
- Nontrucking liability insurance. Provides liability coverage when you or your employees are driving for purposes outside of business.
What industries does Sentry serve?
Sentry offers policies that cater to businesses such as:
- Car dealerships
- Truck or trailer dealers
- Retailers and distributors
- Automotive repair
- Industrial equipment dealers
- Manufacturing and processing
- Real estate
- Health care
Pros and cons of Sentry auto insurance
- Dedicated claims system. File claims 24/7 by phone or online with quality assistance.
- One-on-one support. Policies are sold through a network of agents that strive for personalized services.
- Financial stability. Sentry has earned an of A+ from AM Best for 25 consecutive years and counting.
- Industry-specific products. Policies are designed to suit the needs of your industry, making for fewer gaps in coverage.
- Limited availability. Sentry doesn’t transparently advertise the areas it services. Instead, you’ll need to speak to an agent to find out if coverage for your industry is available where you do business.
- You can’t buy online. To purchase coverage, you must start with a local agent.
- Costs are hard to nail down. Sentry doesn’t provide much information online regarding costs and features of its policy, making it hard to compare your options without speaking to an agent.
- Multiple complaints. Many customers complain online about Sentry’s products and services.
Alternatives to Sentry commercial auto insurance
Sentry commercial auto insurance reviews and complaints
Sentry is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but it earns an A+ rating from the BBB based on factors like the company’s transparency and advertising practices.
As of August 2018, however, all 15 of its customer reviews on the BBB are negative, and more than 110 customers have filed claims against the company. Many customers say they’ve had issues with customer service, unfair claims payouts and delayed payments.
How to apply for Sentry auto insurance policies
To apply for a policy with Sentry, you must call a local agent in its network.
- Phone. Call 800-473-6879 to speak with customer service and connect with an agent.
- Online. On Sentry Insurance’s website, click Find an agent and enter your ZIP code and your industry to view contact details from a local agent to discuss coverage and purchase a policy.
How to file a claim with Sentry
Start your claim through your online by logging in to your account, then follow the prompts to file your claim online. Or you can call 800-473-6879 to report a claim. Monitor the progress of your claim by phone or online.
What do I need to file a claim with Sentry?
Sentry requires the following information to file a claim:
- Details of the incident, including the date and location.
- Personal and contact information for all parties involved.
- Insurance information for everyone involved, including the policy number and insurer.
- Information for your business, including the name and phone number.
- Whether you’re a Sentry customer or a third-party claimant.
- Medical provider details, if anyone is injured.
Where can I find a Sentry office near me?
To speak to an agent about your claim in person, visit a regional claims offices in any of these locations.
- Davenport, Iowa
- Edwardsville, Illinois
- Goldsboro, South Carolina
- Irvine, California
- Montgomery, Alabama
- Richmond, Virginia
- Salem, Oregon
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- Stevens Point, Wisconsin
- Westford, Massachusetts
How to contact Sentry
Like many traditional insurers, Sentry offers flexible options to speak with a rep for help:
- By phone. Call 800-473-6879 to speak with a customer service rep.
- By agent. Find your local agent’s phone number or email online.
- By email. Complete a secure online form to have a Sentry representative get in touch with you.
Frequently asked questions about Sentry
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.