This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.
Compare the best security cameras in 2020
Keep your family, home and property protected.
Security cameras can give you the peace of mind that everything is okay when you’re away from home, and that your family is safely tucked in at night. The latest cameras make monitoring your home easier than ever, and there are now more options.
Compare the top security cameras
|Type||Maximum resolution||Night vision||Storage||Purchase|
||$69.99||Indoor||1080p||Yes||Local and Cloud||Buy now|
||$54.99||Indoor||1080p||Yes||Micro SD||Buy now|
Ezviz Mini Trooper
||$||Indoor/Outdoor||720p||Yes||Micro SD||Buy now|
Uniden App Cam Solo
||Indoor/Outdoor||1080p||Yes||Micro SD||Buy now|
Nest Cam IQ
Netgear Arlo Go
Pros and cons
There are lots of benefits of investing in security cameras for your home, office or property, although they aren’t guaranteed to be foolproof.
- Deter criminals. Security cameras might make thieves think twice before stepping onto your property.
- Watching children left home alone. Make sure all is well with your kids when you’re not there.
- Check on pets. Feel better about leaving Fido home alone during the workday.
- Supervise deliveries. You can’t always be home when a delivery shows up, but you can always play back your security footage.
- Gather legal evidence. In the event of a lawsuit, you’ll have hard video evidence of what took place on your property.
- Safety and protection are not guaranteed. Cameras can help to prevent break-ins and other hazards at home, but there’s no way to guarantee that the unexpected won’t still happen.
- They can be disabled, disconnected or hacked. Higher-end models may be more complicated to mess with, but they’ll cost more.
- Privacy laws surrounding video footage and where you can direct a camera. As well-meaning as you may be, you could get into legal trouble if you don’t fully understand applicable laws and regulations.
- They can be pricey. Even budget-friendly security cameras can be costly if you need more than one.
What types of security cameras are available?
Security cameras come as standalone or as part of a monitored system.
What’s the difference between a surveillance camera and a security camera?
The term “surveillance camera” is generally used to refer to cameras that passively observe or record. They offer little to no interaction. Security cameras, on the other hand, can send alerts, set off alarms, pan across a field of view, detect motion and more.
How to compare security cameras
Before you buy a security camera, consider how you will be using it.
- Will you keep it in one location or move it around?
- Do you want to keep an eye on your pets while you’re at work or watch for burglars while on vacation?
- Do you need to record footage and if so, how do you want to access it?
- Do you need high-resolution video?
- How much do you want to spend?
- Do you want to be able to control the camera from your phone or another smart device?
Features to consider
Store your video footage on cloud storage or on a local device. Most models only offer one or the other, but a few cameras, including the Swann Indoor Security Camera and Foscam C2, offer both options.
Which security camera is best for me?
The right camera for you depends on how you want to use it, your budget and the features you want. To make it easier to help you find your ideal security system, we’ve compared five popular camera models below:
|Swann SWWHD-INDCAM indoor security camera||
|Netgear Arlo Go||
|Reolink Argus 2||
|Uniden Guardian App Cam Solo||
If you’re interested in buying a security camera to protect your home or business, start browsing.
The latest deals and coupons for cameras and accessories
Although they can be expensive, security cameras can give you the peace of mind that your home, family and pets are protected.
How did we choose these products?
We considered factors such as price, storage, Wi-Fi capability and overall features to aggregate our list of the best security cameras. We also took into consideration online reviews for these products.
Frequently asked questions
Photo by Paweł Czerwiński on Unsplash
More guides on Finder
Teladoc review 2020
Find out how this telemedicine app stacks up against its younger competitors.
Carpet cleaning services
Looking for a professional carpet cleaning service to remove stains and revive your carpet? Read our guide and learn how to find a reliable service.
Best weighted blankets in 2020
Snuggle up under these top-rated weighted blankets, designed to address a myriad of sleep concerns, from insomnia to night sweats.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Wix vs. Shopify
Consider how you want to scale your business when deciding between Wix and Shopify.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020
Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Labor Day sales 2020
Browse top deals on appliances, TVs, furniture and more at your backyard barbecue.
PlayStation 5: Price, release date, specs, games and details
Sony’s next-generation PlayStation console is coming this fall — here are all the details.
Best Iceland tours and tour companies for 2020
Make the most of your visit to the land of fire and ice by traveling with an expert guide.
Compare employee monitoring software
Increase productivity and gain insight into your team’s day-to-day, including tips to keeping your team’s trust intact.
Ask an Expert