TREZOR Model T review
A next-generation hardware wallet with a familiar interface but a host of new features.
What is the TREZOR Model T?
Created by Czech Republic-based Satoshi Labs, TREZOR hardware wallets have been providing safe storage for bitcoin since 2013. The Model T is the latest wallet from TREZOR and has been built with a focus on increased security and an improved user experience.
Its headline feature is the 240×240 pixel LCD touchscreen. All confidential information must be entered into the device using this colour screen, and double verification of transactions provides an extra layer of security.
The Model T features a USB-C (both ends are female) connector to ensure that it’s mobile and future-proof, as well as a microSD slot to allow you to expand the device with advanced features in the future.
- Operating systems: Windows (version 7 and higher), OS X (version 10.11 and higher) and Linux
- Mobile devices: Android devices with USB On-The-Go (aka USB Host)
- Browsers: Chrome and Firefox
How much does it cost?
As you could only preorder a Model T on the TREZOR website, at the time of writing there was no price listed for the device. However, a November 2017 blog post reveals that while the first batch (now sold out) of Model Ts cost €119 (SEK1,229) each, the second batch will cost €129 (around SEK1,333).
Which cryptocurrencies can I store?
TREZOR’s Model T offers storage for the same coins as its predecessor, the TREZOR One.
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Bitcoin Gold (BTG)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Dash (DASH)
- Dogecoin (DOGE)
- Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- Zcash (ZEC)
- NEM (XEM)
- Namecoin (NMC)
- Expanse (EXP)
- UBIQ (UBQ)
- ERC20 tokens
How do I add currency to my wallet?
To add currency to your TREZOR Model T, you’ll first need to complete the simple set-up process:
- Connect your Model T to your computer and follow the instructions on the device.
- Open trezor.io/start in your web browser and choose TREZOR Model T as your product.
- Open the TREZOR Wallet.
- Wait for the wallet to recognise your device and then install the firmware for the Model T.
- Generate a new wallet.
- Create a 12-word recovery seed to back up your wallet. Write the seed down and store it somewhere safe and secure.
- Name your device.
- Create a unique PIN.
- Your wallet is now set up and ready to use, so you can start sending coins and tokens to your wallet address.
How do I make payments with my TREZOR Model T?
To make a payment with your Model T, follow these steps:
- Connect your Model T to your computer and enter your PIN.
- Open the TREZOR Wallet.
- Select the cryptocurrency you want to send from the menu on the left of the screen.
- Click the “Send” link and enter the details of your transaction, including the amount you are sending and the receiving wallet address.
- Review the full details of the transaction and confirm it on your Model T.
How secure is the TREZOR Model T?
The Model T offers a number of features to help ensure the security of your bitcoin and altcoins, including:
- Secure PIN code. Your PIN is the primary authentication method for your TREZOR device, and you can create a PIN of up to nine digits. You’ll need to enter this PIN before the Model T will even connect to your device via USB.
- PIN lockout. Every time you enter an incorrect PIN, the wait time until you can try again increases by a power of two.
- Touchscreen. All of your private data, including your PIN, must be entered through the touchscreen on your Model T. The numbers on the on-screen keyboard change position with each use so that no-one can guess your password by checking the areas of the screen that are most commonly pressed.
- Backup and restore. The Model T can be backed up with a 12-word recovery seed accessible through any BIP32/39/44 HD wallet.
- Double confirmation. You’ll need to manually confirm every transaction on your Model T before a payment can be sent. This provides an added layer of security for your coins.
Where can I get the TREZOR Model T?
You can purchase your TREZOR Model T direct from the manufacturer on the official website. At the time of writing (15/03/2018) the wallet was only available for preorder.
One piece of advice for hardware wallets: only buy directly from the manufacturer or an authorised reseller, and never buy a used wallet. This will ensure that you buy a legitimate wallet that hasn’t been tampered with.
Pros and cons
- Clear and intuitive touchscreen.
- User-friendly interface.
- High-level security features to secure your coins and tokens.
- Established wallet provider with a reputation as a trusted company.
- Transactions verified twice for increased protection.
- Cost – other hardware wallets are cheaper.
- Delays with early shipments.
- Can only navigate using a touchscreen.
If you’ve compared a range of hardware wallets and decided that the Model T is the best place to store your crypto coins and tokens, click on one of the “Go to site” links on this page. You’ll be securely redirected to the TREZOR website where you can subscribe to a mailing list to receive notification when the Model T is available for purchase.
At time of writing, the author holds IOTA and XLM.