Emergencies are not the only reason you may want to use money transfer services to send money to Iraq. You may be sending birthday and holiday presents or paying any ongoing bills for which you may still be responsible. Whatever the reason, with some research, you can find a service that’s reliable and convenient, both to you and the recipient back in Iraq.
Banks vs money transfer services
Exchange rates for different currencies fluctuate with the economy. Keep in mind that while you can compare official exchange rates to get an idea of movements in rates, banks and other money transfer companies will typically offer the service at a less competitive rate.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Iraq
Due to political issues, options for sending money to Iraq from Sweden are more limited than what they are for other countries. Even with limited competition, it is important that you look carefully at the details to get the most value when transferring money.
- Exchange rates. This is where you will want to focus your attention, as higher rates can be hidden by poor exchange rates. First, look at the average exchange rate for your currency pair and then compare what the different transfer companies are offering.
- Fees. There can be a substantial fee associated with money transfers. This fee will change in relation to the amount of money you are sending, making it important to compare companies.
- Turnaround time. This is important if your recipient needs the money immediately. Also check online to see if a tracking service is offered so that you can check on the status of the transfer and know when it has been made available for pickup.
- Transfer methods. If you plan on sending money often, it may be in your best interest to look into online methods. Transfer companies have branches you can use, but some will also allow you to transfer the money directly from their online site.
- Transfer amount limits. Keep in mind that there is going to be a limit not only on the amount you may transfer at one time, but also on the amount you may transfer in a single day. These types of regulations are in place for your own protection.
How to send money to Iraq from Sweden
Western Union will allow you to make transactions between Sweden and Iraq. The Iraqi dinar is an exotic currency, making it difficult to find other services to conduct the transaction for you.
The following is a list of financial institutions that may permit you to conduct transfers from the Swedish krona to the Iraqi dinar:
- Citibank. As a worldwide bank, you can transfer money from your Swedish Citibank account to any account in Iraq.
- Western Union. Western Union is the most direct service for transferring money from Sweden to Iraq. They allow you to conduct transactions online, or you can find a location by using their store locator.
Emergency cash transfers in Iraq
If you are travelling in Iraq and find yourself in need of an immediate cash transfer from Sweden, you do have a couple of options available to you:
- Money transfer companies. Travellers are able to pick up money at Western Union locations in other countries. You will need to have a valid passport or other picture ID in order to get your money.
- Credit card. If the credit card you used to pay for your travels has complimentary travel insurance, it could provide you with essential cash if the card is lost or stolen.
- Travel insurance. You should always buy travel insurance when booking a trip overseas. Depending on the type of insurance coverage, you may be eligible for cash in the event that you are the victim of a crime while on vacation. Call your insurance provider for details if you are robbed or lose your wallet while travelling in Iraq.
Western Union cash pickup locations in Iraq
Listed here are a few of the cash pickup locations you will find when travelling in Iraq. Before you go to the location, make sure that you have the money transfer reference number, the sender’s name and location, the amount sent and your passport.
Baghdad Diplomatic Support Center Airport Area
Open Sunday through Thursday from 8am to 3pm.
United Arab Money Transfer Co
Almansoor District 609 St 18
Open Sunday through Thursday from 8.30am to 2:30pm.
Basra Algeria Street
Opposite Al Basra Airline
Al Basrah, Al Basrah
Open Monday 8am to 11pm; Sunday and Friday 12pm to 11am
Iraqna Money Transfer
Basrah 14 July St
Al Basrah, Al Basrah
Open Monday 8am to 9pm; Sunday and Friday closed.
Tips for picking up cash in Iraq
It is advisable for travellers to avoid travelling to Iraq. If you absolutely must make the trip, proceed with extreme caution when frequenting a financial institution to retrieve cash. Go to a well-known location, such as the one inside of the Baghdad airport, and bring along a friend who is familiar with the area and local customs if possible.Back to top
How to send money to Iraq
Sending money to your family in Iraq will depend on the method you use. If you are able to use an international bank to transfer funds, you will need to open an account in a Swedish bank that you can link to your Iraqi account. To do this, you will typically need the following:
- Account information. The account details for your bank account back home. This will include the bank routing number and your account number.
- Address. Your Swedish address as well as your last address in Iraq.
- Passport. A copy of your passport and your valid visa.
- Employment details. Some banks may require that you supply details about your current employment in Sweden.
If the Western Union money transfer is a better option, be prepared to give your full name and contact information as well as the full name of the recipient and their contact information. It is imperative that the name you give matches the name on your recipient’s photo ID exactly to avoid any delays in the transaction.
You will be given a tracking number for the transaction, which you will have to pass along to your recipient in order for them to be able to pick up the money. In some cases, you can also use a code question to help confirm the recipient’s identity.
Unlike other countries, you are limited in options when sending money to Iraq. Explore those that you do have and compare the services they offer with the currency exchange rates and fees they charge to save you the maximum amount possible when transferring money from Sweden to Iraq.Back to top