Say car insurance review Jul 2021
Offers a transparent look at your rates and rewards you every time you renew your policy.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you don’t switch insurers often and live in one of the states where Say operates.
- Pick something else if you’re interested in bundling discounts or rideshare coverage
New car protection
|States served||Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, Tennessee|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Optional|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Rewards your loyalty with a higher insurance score
- Calculate your insurance score on its website
- Reveals how your rate is built so you can work to lower it
- Only available in six states
- Doesn’t offer rideshare coverage or bundling
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Advance purchase discount, Advance purchase discount, Paperless discount|
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder specializing in home loans, banking and insurance. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed.org, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Say’s commitment to transparency means you’ll have a clear understanding of your car insurance rate and how your coverage works. And the insurer’s loyalty rewards means that renewing your policy will improve your rate. But if you’re looking for coverage for your rideshare work or other discounts and features offered by larger companies, compare car insurance companies to find the coverage you need.
How do I apply for Say car insurance?
To apply for a policy, you can call Say customer service, or get a quote online that allows you to purchase the policy.
- Click get a quote from the home page.
- Enter your personal details, and click Next.
- Enter your preferred start date. Note that this date will become the due date every month if you choose to be billed monthly. Click Next.
- Answer questions about your insurance and driving history.
- Enter information about any additional drivers who need to be insured.
- Enter information about your vehicle.
- Once you get a quote, you can select options to customize your coverage. Click Next to continue and purchase your policy.
What discounts can I get with Say?
Say offers detailed information about each discount on its website, so check that each of these discounts is still available in your state before you apply.
- Advance purchase discount. If you apply at least seven days before you need insurance, you’ll get a 10% discount in your first year with Say. This discount decreases over time and ends in your fifth year of coverage.
- Antitheft discount. Get up to 15% off for having an active or passive antitheft device, but only if you live in Illinois.
- Continuous insurance discount. You can get 10% off your first year for never having a lapse in your coverage. This discount decreases 2% every year until it’s gone.
- Defensive driving course discount. Taking a defensive driving course will allow you to apply a 10% discount to your liability, medical payments and collision coverage options. But outside of Kansas, this discount is only available if you are 55 years old or older in Colorado, Illinois and Tennessee.
- Paperless discount. Get 10% off for opting out of paper statements and billing.
- Pay-in-full discount. If you pay six months in advance as a lump sum, you get a 10% discount.
What insurance coverage does Say offer?
You can get the following coverage from Say:
- Auto collision. Protects your vehicle for damages in a collision. Say’s coverage extends up to $500 for damage to utility trailers and cargo, as well as up to $5,000 to cover certain modifications, such as custom paint or attached equipment.
- Comprehensive. Covers damage caused to your vehicle that isn’t related to a collision. For example, if a tree branch falls on your car while you’re parked, your comprehensive coverage pays for damages.
- Liability. Covers damages you cause to others during an accident, which includes both property damage and bodily injury coverage.
- Medical payments coverage. Helps to cover the medical bills for you and your passengers, regardless of who’s at fault in the accident.
- Glass repair coverage. Say partners with a company called Lynx to do glass repairs, so all claims and services are outsourced.
- Uninsured motorist (UM). Say offers two versions of this coverage, bodily injury and property damage. If the other party doesn’t have adequate liability coverage or any insurance at all, UM bodily injury covers medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering expenses, and UM property damage covers damages to your car.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Say offer?
You can add the following coverage to your policy:
- Roadside assistance. Say includes a 24/7 roadside assistance package through Road America with every policy. The policy covers up to $100 per incident for these emergencies:
- Flat tire
- Getting locked out from your car
- Dead battery
- New car replacement. Also sometimes called gap insurance, this additional coverage can be added to your comprehensive and collision coverage to ensure you get the replacement value and not the depreciated value for your new car, should it be totaled in an accident.
- Rental reimbursement. If you need to rent a car while yours is being repaired after an accident, you can use this coverage to help pay for up to 30 days of the rental fees.
Say car insurance reviews and complaints
Say is a small and fairly new insurer, so there aren’t a lot of customer reviews available yet, but it scores 4.5 stars on Trustpilot with 189 reviews. The company isn’t listed on the BBB, but its parent company, Shelter Insurance, has an A+ rating and has closed 17 complaints in the past year.
Alternatives to Say
Pros and cons of Say car insurance
- Rewards loyalty with a higher insurance score. Say adds 50 points to your insurance score every time you renew your policy, which is every six months, to a max score of 997. This can help to bring your insurance rate down by an average of 4% per renewal.
- Calculate your insurance score. Say’s website has a calculator that allows you to generate your insurance score to better understand how your personal details affect your insurance rates.
- Commitment to transparency. Between the insurance score calculator and a website with clear answers about what is and isn’t covered, Say goes a long way to make sure you understand what affects your insurance rate and how you can improve your score to bring down your premiums.
- Limited availability. This insurer only offers policies in six states: Colorado, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, and Tennessee.
- Lacks features of larger insurers. Because the company only offers auto insurance, you can’t bundle. And Say doesn’t offer coverage for drivers who work for rideshare services such as Uber or Lyft.