Sam's Club® Mastercard® review
Earn up to 5% on Sam’s Club purchases, as well as on gas purchases.
finder.com’s rating: 4 / 5
- Get this card if you often shop at Sam’s Club and you’re a Plus member.
- Pick something else if you shop elsewhere or want an intro APR.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5%
14.9% to 22.9%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Welcome Offer||Get a $30 statement credit when you open a new account and make $30 in Sam's Club purchases|
within 30 days.
|Rewards||Up to 5% at Sam's Club with Plus membership, 5% cash back on gas (on up to $6,000 annually, then 1%), 3% on dining and 1% on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||14.9% to 22.9% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||14.9% to 22.9% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Sam's Club® Mastercard® recently received a refresh. Now, it earns up to 5% back on Sam’s Club purchases, 3% with the card and up to 2% with your Sam’s Club membership up to $500 annually. It earns 5% back on gas on up to $6,000 annually (then 1%), 3% back on dining and 1% back on everything else. The card has a $0 annual fee, a 14.9% to 22.9% variable APR, and works as your membership card, though it lacks a signup bonus.
The biggest change to the card is the tweaks to the earning categories. The travel category is gone and the card finally earns an accelerated rate of 3% back on eligible Sam’s Club purchase. Given the wide range of products stocked at Sam’s Club, this is a great rate. You can also earn big on items that don’t normally appear in cashback categories for other everyday rewards cards, such as home appliances, electronics and home exercise equipment. The card thankfully maintained it’s awesome gas rewards category, a whopping 5% back at any gas station on up to $6,000 in purchases annually.
As a warehouse card, you’ll need a Sam’s Club membership to apply. Either membership level will do, though you stand to get the most benefit out of the Plus membership level at $100 – Plus members earn 2% back up to $500 even without a credit card.
Before the refresh, the Sam's Club® Mastercard® was a great gas and travel card, though bizarrely outclassed when it came to warehouse shopping purchases. But now the card has gained considerable oomph, making it a great choice for Sam’s Club members and well worth a look for everyday purchase needs.
How to apply for the Sam's Club® Mastercard®
Applying for the Sam's Club® Mastercard® is straightforward:
- Click Apply now.
- Fill out your personal information as requested.
- Click on Submit .
What credit score do I need to apply for the Sam's Club® Mastercard®?
To qualify for the Sam's Club® Mastercard® you’ll need a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Sam's Club® Mastercard® benefits
- Cash back. Earn up to 5% cash back on eligible Sam’s Club purchases (3% with Sam's Club® Mastercard® in addition to the 2% you earn with Plus membership), 5% back on gas purchases on up to $6,000 annually (reverting to 1% after), 3% back on dining and takeout, and 1% back on all other purchases.
- No annual fee. The Sam's Club® Mastercard® doesn’t carry an annual fee, though you’ll need to be a Sam’s Club member to apply. Basic membership is $45 and Plus membership is $100.
- Cash advance at register. You can request up to $100 as a cash advance at checkout. You should generally stay away from cash advances, but this can prove useful in an emergency.
What to watch out for
- You can redeem once annually. You can only redeem your rewards in February of each year for that prior year’s earnings. You can redeem rewards online at SamsClub.com or at any Sam’s location.
- No intro APR. You won’t find an intro APR on purchases or balance transfers with this card.
- Tied to Plus membership. If you don’t have a Sam’s Club Plus membership, you can only earn 1% back on your Sam’s Club purchases with this card.
What’s the difference between the Sam’s Club Card and Sam's Club® Mastercard®?
Sam’s Club offers two types of credit cards: the Sam's Club® Mastercard® and the Sam’s Club Card. The latter is a store card, meaning you can only use it at Sam’s Club, and it possesses a different rewards structure than the MasterCard version.
Unfortunately, there is just one application for these cards. If your credit score isn’t sufficient, you may be directed to the Sam’s Club Card instead of the Sam's Club® Mastercard®.
Which is better: Sam's Club® Mastercard® or the Costco Anywhere Visa?
The Costco Anywhere Visa used to be the better choice between these two warehouse card offerings. However, the Sam's Club® Mastercard® now pulls slightly ahead thanks to its recent tweaks. Here’s a full breakdown of how these two cards compare.
Sam's Club® Mastercard® reviews and complaints
Synchrony, the bank behind the Sam's Club® Mastercard®, is currently being reviewed by the Better Business Bureau as of January 2021. We’ll update the bank’s rating when information is available.
Compare cashback credit cards
Between the in store and gas cash back opportunities, the Sam's Club® Mastercard® is easily worth the effort for warehouse shoppers and even overtakes the Costco Anywhere Visa when it comes to warehouse shopping.
But If you’re not a regular warehouse shopper or you’re on the hunt for a different spread of reward categories, check out other cashback card options to find one that suits your spending needs.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.