Earn strong cash back for gas, dining and travel purchases.
- Get this card if you have high business expenditures on gas, dining and travel.
- Pick something else if you don’t want a Sam’s Club membership.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
|Product Name||Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®|
|Purchase APR||16.65% to 24.65% variable|
|Intro Purchase APR|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR|
|Cash Advance Rate||21.65% to 27.65% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 20 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$39.99|
|Late Payment Fee Conditions||The Late Payment Fee will be $0.00 for a New Balance of less than $25.00; $15.99 for a New Balance of $25.00 to $99.99; $29.99 for a New Balance of $100.00 to $249.99; and $39.99 for a New Balance of $250.00 or more.|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Rewards||5% cash back on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Sam's Club (on the first $6,000 per year, then 1% after)|
|Base Rewards||1% cash back|
The Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® is an excellent cashback card for gas: You’ll earn 5% back on eligible gas on the first $6,000 per year, then 1%. It also offers strong rewards if you spend heavily in dining and travel.
Unfortunately, the card doesn’t offer accelerated rewards for non-gas Sam’s Club purchases. Meanwhile, its competitor, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi, offers 2% cash back at Costco and Costco.com.
You can use the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® anywhere Mastercard is accepted. If you want a closed-loop credit card you can use only at Sam’s Club, you might like the Sam’s Club Credit Card. It doesn’t offer rewards, but it has many of the same benefits you’ll find with the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®.
Another business card with cashback categories
Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card
Annual fee: None.
A $0 annual fee makes it easier to keep the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® card long term. Many business credit cards come with a $95 annual fee starting the second year, so this card can be a good option if you don’t want to pay for a credit card.
Signup bonus: Save $30 on a Sam’s Club purchase you make today.
When you open an account and make a $30 minimum purchase in Sam’s Club, you’ll save $30 on your purchase.
This is a lower signup bonus than you’ll get with other business credit cards. However, it’s very easy to obtain. If you want a strong signup bonus, you’re more likely to find one with an annual-fee card.
Rewards: Up to 5% cash back.
Earn 5% cash back on eligible gas purchases worldwide, including gas at Sam’s Club. You’ll get this rate on your first $6,000 in gas purchases each year, then you’ll earn 1% cash back. Also, earn 3% cash back on dining and travel. These are excellent reward levels for these categories, eclipsing the earnings you’ll receive with many other business credit cards. You’ll earn 1% cash back on other purchases.
You’ll also like
Your credit card is your Sam’s Club membership card.
You need a Sam’s Club membership to shop at the warehouse. With your Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®, you don’t have to show your membership card at the register.
Receive itemized billing statements.
Each month, you’ll receive a line-by-line breakdown of what you’ve purchased with your card.
Add authorized users for free.
You can add employees to your account at no cost. Authorized users must be on your Sam’s Club membership.
What to watch out for
Must have a Sam’s Club business membership.
Before you can apply for this card, you’ll need a Sam’s Club business membership. Sam’s Club membership starts at $45 a year.
If you make a late or returned payment, Synchrony Bank, issuer of the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® may raise your APR as high as 29.99% variable. This rate applies until you make on-time payments of at least the minimum amount due for 12 consecutive billing periods. After, you’ll receive a 24.65% variable purchase APR and a 27.65% variable cash advance APR.
Late fees can be as high as $39.99, and returned-check fees can be as high as $38.
Compare similar business credit cards
What size business is the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® good for?
The Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® is a great choice for small businesses. Its 5% cash back is capped yearly at $6,000 in gas purchases. Meanwhile, you’ll find cards with higher caps. For example, you could earn 4x points at US gas stations on up to $150,000 per year from the American Express® Business Gold Card.
The card also offers a strong 3% cash back on dining and travel, so it’s a good pick if your business spends heavily in these categories. You can earn unlimited cash back at this rate.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®, you must be:
- 18 years or older.
- A US resident.
- A representative of a business.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information about yourself and your business, including:
- The name and address of your business.
- Your federal tax ID.
- Your business phone number and tax license number.
- Your employee count, business type and business structure.
- Your years in business and monthly estimated spending.
- Your Social Security number, phone number and date of birth.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Your business is more likely to be approved if it:
- Has more than $5 million in annual sales or revenues.
- Is more than two years old.
- Has more than 10 employees.
- Is not a partnership or proprietorship.
If any of these do not apply to your business, you may want to consider putting yourself down as a personal guarantor while applying.
Business credit cards without a personal guarantee
What do customers say about Synchrony Bank?
Synchrony Bank has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2006 and earns an overall A+ rating. However, as of June 2018, 96% of its reviews are negative and it has around 4,600 customer complaints. Cardholders complain of the bank barring them from using their Sam’s Club cards, sudden account closures and unhelpful customer service reps.
The bank does not have a Trustpilot profile as of June 2018.
How to apply for the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®?
- On the Sam’s Club site, scroll down the page. Click on the banner that says Own a business? Apply for a Sam’s Club Business credit account.
- Complete the application form with information like your business details, name, contact information and Social Security number.
- Review your information and print the form.
- Bring the form to the membership desk at a Sam’s Club, where the representative will help you finish the application process.
How long will it take to get my Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®?
It may take a few business days to a few weeks to receive a decision on your application.
After you’re approved, you’ll typically receive your card within 7 to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments on time. Register an account on the Sam’s Club site to pay your balance online.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 20 days to pay off your balance. If there’s no previous balance or you fully pay the balance off, you won’t gain additional interest. Otherwise, your purchases will start accruing interest.
- Avoid fees. Late fees can be as high as $39.99, and returned-check fees can be as high as $38.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact the number on the back of your card or on your billing statement.
Consider the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® if your business spends heavily in gas, dining and travel. It has no annual fee, so it’s easy to keep long term. Just make sure you have a Sam’s Club membership before you apply.
Whether or not a Sam’s Club membership benefits your business, a different credit card may provide better features. Be sure to compare business credit card providers before making your choice.
Frequently asked questions