Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® review
Earn strong cash back for gas, dining, takeout and Sam's Club purchases with a Plus membership.
- Get this card if you have Sam’s Club membership and you want to earn rewards on gas, dining and takeout.
- Pick something else if you don’t have a Sam’s Club membership.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5%
15.9% to 23.9%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Annual fee conditions||Requires Sam's Club membership|
|Welcome offer||$30 when you open your account online and spend $30 or more at SamsClub.com within the first 30 days|
|Rewards||Up to 5% at Sam's Club with Plus membership, 5% cash back on gas (on up to $6,000 annually, then 1%), 3% on dining and 1% on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||15.9% to 23.9% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||14.9% to 22.9% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
The Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® — issued by Synchrony Bank — is an excellent cashback card for gas: You earn 5% back on eligible gas on the first $6,000 per year, then 1%. It also offers strong rewards if you spend heavily in dining and takeout.
You can use the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® anywhere Mastercard is accepted. If you have less-than-perfect credit score, you could get the closed-loop version of this credit card, which you can use only at Sam’s Club and Walmart. It doesn’t offer rewards, but it has many of the same benefits you’ll find with the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®.
How to apply for the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®?
- Go to the provider's site and select Apply now.
- Click Apply now on the banner at the top.
- Complete the application form with information like your Sam’s Club membership, business details, name, contact information and Social Security number.
- Review your information and print the form.
- Bring the form to the membership desk at a Sam’s Club, where the representative will help you finish the application process.
How long will it take to get my Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®?
It may take a few business days to a few weeks to receive a decision on your application. After you’re approved, you’ll typically receive your card within 7 to 10 business days.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®, you must be:
- Sam’s Club member.
- 18 years or older.
- A US resident.
- A representative of a business.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information about yourself and your business, including:
- The name and address of your business.
- Your federal tax ID.
- Your business phone number and tax license number.
- Your employee count, business type and business structure.
- Your years in business and monthly estimated spending.
- Your Social Security number, phone number and date of birth.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® benefits
- Cash back. Earn 5% cash back on eligible gas purchases, including gas at Sam’s Club. You’ll get this rate on your first $6,000 in gas purchases each year, then you’ll earn 1% cash back. Also, earn 3% cash back on dining and takeout, and on Sam’s Club purchases if you have a Plus membership. You’ll earn 1% cash back on other purchases.
- No annual fee. A $0 annual fee makes it easier to keep the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® card long term. Many business credit cards come with a $95 annual fee starting the second year, so this card can be a good option if you don’t want to pay for a credit card. But you need to pay for the Sam’s Club membership.
- Signup bonus. Earn $30 statement credit when you spend at least $30 in your first 30 days of card membership. This is a lower signup bonus than you’ll get with other business credit cards. However, it’s very easy to obtain.
- Your credit card is your Sam’s Club membership card. You need a Sam’s Club membership to shop at the warehouse. With your Sam's Club® Business Mastercard®, you don’t have to show your membership card at the register.
- Receive itemized billing statements. Each month, you’ll receive a line-by-line breakdown of what you’ve purchased with your card.
- Add authorized users for free. You can add employees to your account at no cost. Authorized users must be on your Sam’s Club membership.
What to watch out for
- Must have a Sam’s Club business membership. Before you can apply for this card, you’ll need a Sam’s Club business membership. Sam’s Club membership starts at $45 a year. To earn cashback on Sam’s Club purchases, you need Plus membership, which costs $100 annually.
- Two Sam’s Club credit cards. There is only one application process and you don’t know which card you’ll land. The Mastercard version comes with cashback rewards, while the store card version is only a line of credit with no rewards program.
What size business is the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® good for?
The Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® is a great choice for small businesses. Its 5% cash back is capped yearly at $6,000 in gas purchases. This is a relatively high rate you can earn, given you spend less than $6,000 each year.
Meanwhile, you’ll find cards with higher caps. For example, you could earn 4x points at US gas stations on up to $150,000 per year from the American Express® Business Gold Card. (Terms apply, see rates & fees).
The card also offers a strong 3% cash back on dining, so it’s a good pick if your business spends heavily in this category. You can earn unlimited cash back at this rate.
Synchrony Bank reviews and complaints
Synchrony Bank — the issuer of the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® — has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2006 and earns an overall A+ rating as of August 2021. However, 96% of its reviews are negative and it has around 5,000 customer complaints. Cardholders complain of the bank barring them from using their Sam’s Club cards, sudden account closures and unhelpful customer service reps.
Synchrony Bank carries a 1.4 out of 23 Trustpilot rating as of August 2021.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments on time. Register an account on the Sam’s Club site to pay your balance online.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 23 days to pay off your balance. If there’s no previous balance or you fully pay the balance off, you won’t gain additional interest. Otherwise, your purchases will start accruing interest.
- Avoid fees. Late fees can be as high as $40, and returned-check fees can be as high as .
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, contact the number on the back of your card or on your billing statement.
Compare similar business credit cards
If you’re looking for something else, consider comparing more credit cards for your business expenses.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Consider the Sam's Club® Business Mastercard® if your business spends heavily in gas, Sam’s Club and dining purchases. It has no annual fee, so it’s easy to keep long term. But you need to have a Sam’s Club membership to apply and use the card.
Whether or not a Sam’s Club membership benefits your business, a different credit card may provide better features. Be sure to compare business credit card providers before making your choice.