Safeco home insurance review
Cover the essentials with local agent guidance, but beware of average customer ratings.
- Get a quote if prefer to shop through an agent.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for stellar customer service.
- Homeowners with bundled policies may get the best premiums.
AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, OH, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY
- Local agent support
- Convenient, online claims
- Video damage estimate option
- Backed by Liberty Mutual
- Equipment breakdown coverage
- Average customer reviews
- No safety discounts listed
- Negative media
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||No|
|Other discounts||Pay Your Bill in Full|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Safeco offers comprehensive home and contents coverage as well as a solid string of discounts to help you save on your premium. It emphasizes personal service by pairing policyholders with independent agents across the country.
But if you’d prefer an insurer with stellar customer service ratings, compare other home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does Safeco offer?
Lay the foundation with these essential coverage options, alongside a few other helpful choices from Safeco.
- Liability. Shield yourself from paying out of pocket for medical expenses or court fees if someone gets injured on your property.
- Dwelling. Protect your home from damage.
- Personal property. Protect your belongings at home, on the road or even abroad. Covered items include sports or kitchen equipment, electronics, furniture, books or clothing.
- Valuable articles. Cover special items that you name on your policy for an agreed value, no deductible involved.
- Personal property replacement cost. Replace the true value of personal possessions up to your chosen coverage limits.
- Additional living expenses. Pay for temporary living expenses like food and hotel rooms up to 24 months while your house gets back to top shape.
- Green replacement equipment breakdown. Opt for this coverage for $2 per month to replace covered appliances with Energy Star-rated ones after it breaks down.
- Identity recovery. For a $1 a month, get financial help in restoring your identity, including lost wages, professional assistance and other expenses.
What discounts can I get with Safeco?
This company houses a few easy discounts that you’d expect to find for home insurance.
- Single deductible. When you bundle home and vehicle policies, you could qualify for single deductible coverage if your home, car, RV or other covered vehicles all get damaged at the same time.
- Home and auto bundle. Cut your premium up to 15% by purchasing insurance for both your home and other vehicles.
- New home. Find savings when your home is less than 10 years old, which means less chance for home repairs.
- Paid in-full. Take on your full premium in one payment for this easy-to-get discount.
Pros and cons of Safeco home insurance
- Local agents. At Safeco, your independent agent can be your go-to for questions and policy changes.
- Simple, 24/7 claims. Safeco sets up a smooth process with online claims filing and meeting your adjuster through a video call.
- Sound finances. Safeco is backed by the big-name insurer Liberty Mutual, helping the company stand on firm financial ground.
- Equipment breakdown coverage. Replace certain appliances with an ecofriendly equivalent.
- No safety discounts listed. The company doesn’t advertise common discounts for devices like fire sprinklers, theft alarms or security systems.
- Average ratings. Safeco was ranked number 21 for best home insurance companies by J.D. Power, but its scores were average at best.
How to apply for Safeco home insurance
To start a Safeco home policy, apply online or through a local agent. You can find the nearest agent by using the company’s independent agent location tool, which searches for agents by address, state or agency name.
To apply online:
- Enter your ZIP code and select Homeowners from the home insurance quotes page. Click Start Quote.
- Enter basic personal information to begin. Click Next.
- Enter basic details about your home. Click Next.
- Confirm specifics about your home’s size and construction. Click Next.
- Complete questions about discounts you might qualify for.
- Receive your quote, choose coverage and start your policy. Note that some homeowners may need to contact a representative to finish their estimate.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Safeco?
Safeco may ask you to provide some key information for the most accurate quote, including:
- The year your home was built
- Square footage
- Number of stories
- Number of bathrooms
- Details about occupants and home use
How do I make a claim with Safeco?
The company keeps the claims process quick and easy with around-the-clock service, including online and phone reporting options.
- Online. Report damage details directly from your online customer account.
- By phone. Describe your situation to a phone representative at 800-332-3226.
- Mobile app. Access your online claims on your phone through your customer account.
- Video chat. Meet your claims adjuster through a video call for a fast and easy damage estimate.