Accident forgiveness, diminishing deductible and great extended coverage options are just some of the perks.
finder.com’s rating: 2.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you’re a long-time driver looking for discounts.
- Pick something else if you want to sign up online.
- Ideal for drivers who value a personal relationship with their provider.
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||monthly, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Several discounts
- Great extended coverage
- Digital and mobile access
- High price
- Below average customer service
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Who is Safeco auto insurance best for?
Since Safeco’s services are primarily issued through its network of independent agents, this provider is best for those who value a personal relationship with their provider. Safeco also offers a suite of available discounts, making it a great choice if you’re looking for affordable car insurance. Many of its discounts and programs are designed for more experienced drivers, making it a great choice if you’re a long-time driver.
What car insurance coverage does Safeco offer?
This provider offers the standard range of coverage, ranging from state minimums to comprehensive policies. Coverage availability also varies from state to state.
- Liability protection. Pays for property and bodily damages resulting from an accident you’ve caused.
- Collision. Pays for damages to your car caused by an at-fault accident.
- Comprehensive coverage. Protects against damage to your vehicle that occurs off the road. This includes theft, fire, extreme weather, and more.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization and even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed in a car accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages or injuries to you and your passengers resulting from a hit-and-run accident or an uninsured driver, including medical expenses and lost wages.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Bridges the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Safeco offer?
Other elective coverage options include:
- Accident forgiveness. If you’ve kept a clean driving record with Safeco, your first accident or claim won’t increase your monthly rates.
- Diminishing deductible. The longer you drive without making a claim with Safeco, the lower your deductible will be when you do.
- New car replacement. If your car is less than a year old and it gets stolen or totaled, Safeco will replace your car with a new one.
- Rideshare coverage. For drivers with Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing companies, the company’s policy is limited when a driver isn’t carrying a paying passenger. Safeco can cover that gap so a driver is protected either way.
- Emergency assistance package. If an accident strands you more than 25 miles from home, you can get reimbursed for lodging and food costs.
- Personal property coverage. This covers your belongings if they’re stolen from your car or damaged in an accident.
- Gap coverage. If your car is totaled and you still owe for a loan or lease, this kind of coverage pays the difference between what you’ve already paid and what you owe. That way, you aren’t stuck with a payment on a car that you can’t drive.
- Key and fob replacement. Covers electronic keys and locks, as well as remote key fobs.
- Pet coverage. If your pet is injured or killed in a collision, you’ll get reimbursement for veterinary costs or a death benefit.
- Aftermarket coverage. This includes coverage for custom engines and modifications, as well as permanent racks, spoilers and custom bumpers, sound systems and more.
- Safeco Right Track. Safeco will track your driving habits for 90 days and use the data it collects to assess your accident risk. Depending on your age, location and other factors, this could lower your monthly rate if you’re deemed a safe driver.
- Teen safety rewards. A collection of tools, benefits and rewards that help teens become safer drivers.
- Reimbursement for first aid. All Safeco auto policies include up to $10,000 in coverage for first aid administered to others after an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Safeco offers roadside assistance if your car happens to get stuck or break down on the road.
- Mobile app. Download Safeco’s mobile app for access to your account, ID cards, and more.
- Guaranteed repair network. Safeco has a network of repair shops that offer guaranteed repairs for the life of your vehicle.
What discounts can I get with Safeco?
- Package deal. Save up to 15% when you insure your other property with Safeco.
- Safety rewards. Get rewards, benefits, and discounts when you maintain a clean driving record.
- Accident prevention course. Get better rates for completing an approved accident prevention course.
- Teen Safety Rewards. A collection of tools, benefits and discounts to help your teen become a safer driver.
- Drive Less, Pay Less. Save up to 20% if your car is in the driveway more than it’s on the road.
- Multi-vehicle. Get better rates when you insure more than one vehicle under the same policy.
- Anti-theft. Get a discount if your car is equipped with anti-theft technology.
- Anti-lock brakes. You may qualify for a discount if your car has anti-lock brakes equipped.
- Homeowner discount. Get better rates if you own a single-family home, townhouse, condominium or mobile home.
- Paid in full. Get a discount for paying your policy premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
Pros and cons of Safeco car insurance
- Several discounts. The longer you hold a policy with Safeco and maintain a clean driving record, the lower your rate will be. You may qualify for accident forgiveness if you’ve kept a clean driving record for a few years.
- Great extended coverage. Get more than the basic coverage, including new car replacement and gap coverage.
- Digital and mobile access. Its mobile app is easy to use and gives you access to your account. Easily make a claim, pay your bill or check the status of a claim right on your phone.
- High price. You’ll find better prices with other providers. However, you could get a better rate if you qualify for any of its discounts.
- Below average customer service. There are a few insurance providers that consistently score well for their customer service — Safeco isn’t one of them.
- No online application process. While you can get a quote for a new auto insurance policy online, you’ll need to call or contact an agent to purchase coverage.
- Limited online claims system. Safeco’s online claims system is only available in a few states. For those outside those states, claims must be filed by phone.
How to apply for Safeco car insurance
While you won’t be able to get coverage online, you can start by getting a quote on the website. Here’s how:
- Visit the Safeco website, hover over “Products”, then click “Auto”
- Enter your zip code, then click “Start quote”
- Enter your personal information (Name, address, etc.) then click next.
- Enter driver information, occupation, etc. Then click next.
- Add your vehicle information (Make, model, year, etc.)
- Enter your current auto insurance information if applicable, then click “Get estimate”
- Call the number you are provided or contact your local agent to purchase coverage.
What do customers say about Safeco?
Since Safeco is a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual, the company itself doesn’t have its own independent rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, Liberty Mutual’s BBB grade is a solid A. This rating is based on multiple factors that the BBB evaluates, including customer complaint resolutions, length of time a business has been established, financial stability and recent or pending legal action.
Customer reviews on the Internet tote Safeco’s accident forgiveness and reduced deductibles. While the discounts and savings options are positive, Safeco’s ratings for customer service and claims satisfaction tend to sit below average for the industry. Safeco also has over 200 complaints and low ratings that specifically point out lengthy delays in the claims process.
When comparing your insurance options, consider that most customers won’t bother to review something unless they want to rant. Because of this, in-depth reviews and direct comparisons can be helpful in breaking down which choice is actually best for you.
How to contact Safeco
Choose one of the following numbers depending on why you need to contact Safeco:
- Pay bill: 1-888-723-3260
- Claims: 1-800-332-3226
- Quote: 1-877-413-2712
What is Safeco?
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Selective Auto and Fire Ensurance Company of America, or SAFECO was founded in 1923. Safeco is an established insurance provider serving over 4 million customers in the US. The company was acquired by Liberty Mutual Insurance in 2008 and it holds naming rights to the Seattle Mariners’ baseball stadium, Safeco field.
Safeco sells an assortment of auto insurance coverage, packed with a number of additional options. Driven by a team of over 7,000 employees, its auto insurance products are available in all 50 states through a large network of independent agents. With a wide selection of policy options, this provider is able to cover cars, trucks, motorcycles and more.
Alternatives to Safeco
Safeco is an established auto insurance provider backed by Liberty Mutual. With its range of policy options and additional features, it’s likely you’ll be able to find a policy that fits your needs. However, it’s can be difficult to get approved for its discounts since so many of its qualifications are aimed at more experienced drivers. If you aren’t eligible for the discounts you need or prefer a provider with more online capabilities, you may want to keep looking.
As with any large financial decision, it’s best to shop around and compare your options before deciding any provider is right for you. Consult our comprehensive auto insurance guide to learn about getting cheap rates, coverage and availability in your area.
Frequently asked questions about Safeco
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.