Accident forgiveness, diminishing deductible and great extended coverage options are just some of the perks of insuring with Safeco.
When you’re shopping for car insurance, comparing premium rates is just the beginning. It’s also important to consider coverage, discounts and reputation. Consider whether Safeco offers the best car insurance for you.
|Name||Safeco Car Insurance|
|Description||Safeco is an established auto insurance provider backed by Liberty Mutual, with many discounts designed for experienced drivers. This provider offers the standard range of coverage, from the bare minimums to comprehensive policies.|
- Several discounts
- Great extended coverage
- Digital and mobile access
- High price
- Below average customer service
What is Safeco?
Founded in 1923, Safeco is an established insurance provider serving over 4 million customers in the US. It was acquired by Liberty Mutual Insurance in 2008 and has naming rights to the Seattle Mariners’ baseball stadium.
What kinds of auto coverage can I get with Safeco?
This provider offers the standard range of coverage, from the bare minimums to comprehensive policies. Coverage availability also varies from state to state.
- Liability protection. Pays for property and bodily damages resulting from an accident you’ve caused.
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damages to your car caused by other cars or objects, fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization and even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed in a car accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages or injuries to you and your passengers resulting from a hit-and-run accident or an uninsured driver, including medical expenses and lost wages.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Bridges the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
Other elective coverage options include:
- Accident forgiveness. If you’ve kept a clean driving record with Safeco, your first accident or claim won’t increase your monthly rates.
- Diminishing deductible. The longer you drive without making a claim with Safeco, the lower your deductible will be when you do.
- New car replacement. If your car is less than a year old and it gets stolen or totaled, Safeco will replace your car with a new one.
- Ride share coverage. For drivers with Uber, Lyft and other ride sharing companies, the company’s policy is limited when a driver isn’t carrying a paying passenger. Safeco can cover that gap so a driver is protected either way.
- Emergency assistance package. If an accident strands you more than 25 miles from home, you can get reimbursed for lodging and food costs.
- Personal property coverage. This covers your belongings if they’re stolen from your car or damaged in an accident.
- Gap coverage. If your car is totaled and you still owe for a loan or lease, this kind of coverage pays the difference between what you’ve already paid and what you owe. That way, you aren’t stuck with a payment on a car that you can’t drive.
- Key and fob replacement. Covers electronic keys and locks, as well as remote key fobs.
- Pet coverage. If your pet is injured or killed in a collision, you’ll get reimbursement for veterinary costs or a death benefit.
- Aftermarket coverage. This includes coverage for custom engines and modifications, as well as permanent racks, spoilers and custom bumpers, sound systems and more.
Safeco Right Track
Safeco will track your driving habits for 90 days and use the data it collects to assess your accident risk. Depending on your age, location and other factors, this could lower your monthly rate if you’re deemed a safe driver. However, it’s worth noting that the Right Track program isn’t available everywhere. It’s not offered in Alaska, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Missouri or New Jersey — and your vehicle can’t be made before 1996.
Does Safeco offer other kinds of coverage?
Safeco offers coverage for your RV, boat and classic car, along with coverage for your home and belongings. Safeco even offers coverage for ID theft that costs as little as a dollar a month. Its motorcycle insurance is especially notable for its gear replacement policy, which covers damaged helmets, riding boots, and other protective gear up to a $1,000 limit.
Through its subsidiary, Liberty Mutual Safeco offers coverage for your home, health and pets.
What does the Internet say about Safeco?
Because it’s a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual, Safeco doesn’t have its own independent rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, Liberty Mutual’s own BBB grade is a solid A. This rating is based on multiple factors that the BBB evaluates on its own that include customer complaint resolutions, length of time a business has been established, financial stability and recent or pending legal action.
Customers reviewing on the Internet tote Safeco’s accident forgiveness and reduced deductibles in their reviews. While the discounts and savings options are positive, Safeco’s ratings for customer service and claims satisfaction tend to sit below average for the industry. Safeco also has over 200 complaints and low ratings that specifically point out lengthy delays in the claims process.
When comparing your insurance options, consider that most customers won’t bother to review something unless they want to rant. Because of this, in-depth reviews and direct comparisons can be helpful in breaking down which choice is actually best for you.
Pros and cons
- Several discounts. The longer you hold a policy with Safeco and maintain a clean driving record, the lower your rate will be. You may qualify for accident forgiveness if you’ve kept a clean driving record for a few years.
- Great extended coverage. Get more than the basic coverage, including new car replacement and gap coverage.
- Digital and mobile access. Its mobile app is easy to use and gives you access to your account. Easily make a claim, pay your bill or check the status of a claim right on your phone.
- High price. You’ll find better prices with other providers. However, you could get a better rate if you qualify for any of its discounts.
- Below average customer service. There are a few insurance providers that consistently score well for their customer service — Safeco isn’t one of them.
Safeco is an established auto insurance provider backed by Liberty Mutual. With its range of offerings it’s likely you could find a policy that fits your needs. However, it’s can be difficult to be approved for its discounts, because so many of its qualifications are aimed at more experienced drivers.
As with any large decision, it’s best to shop around and compare your options before deciding any provider is right for you. Consult our comprehensive auto insurance guide to learn about getting cheap rates, coverage and availability in your area.