SafeAuto car insurance review Oct 2020
A variety of coverage options open to drivers with a spotty driving record could be your ticket to affordable auto insurance.
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you have been denied coverage by other providers.
- Pick something else if you want top notch support or bundling discounts.
- Drivers with a spotty driving record can get a policy from SafeAuto.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, Quarterly, monthly (fee applies)|
|Claims methods||phone, in-person|
- Supports high-risk policyholders
- Discounts available
- Multiple payment options
- Money transfers accepted
- Same-day claims payouts
- Poor customer support
- No umbrella or bundling discounts
- No online claims
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
SafeAuto isn’t trying to compete with the everyday provider. Instead, it provides car insurance to drivers who might have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere. That’s why you won’t find all the bells and whistles on its insurance policies, but you will be able to get coverage to legally drive.
SafeAuto’s specialty is serving drivers who might not be able to catch a break. If you don’t need SR-22 insurance or you’re looking for a high standard of service and customer engagement, you may be better off with another insurance company.
Where is SafeAuto car insurance available?
SafeAuto’s auto insurance policies are available in 18 states. However, those who live outside its service area can get help finding coverage through SafeAuto’s network of trusted insurance providers. Here’s where SafeAuto auto insurance policies are available:
- South Carolina
What auto insurance coverage does SafeAuto offer?
- Liability protection. This type of coverage pays when you’re at fault for an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm. SafeAuto sticks to low maximum limits.
- Collision/comprehensive damage. Pays for damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object, but it also covers fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Accidental death benefit. This coverage pays a flat amount to your loved ones if you die due to injuries from a car accident within 90 days of the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages and injury from hit-and-runs or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. Covering you and your passengers, it can include medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- SR-22 insurance. SafeAuto will help you file for SR-22 insurance if you need it after a DUI or other traffic conviction.
- Roadside assistance. Get help if your car breaks down when you’re away from home or on the road.
Discounts on SafeAuto car insurance
SafeAuto provides fairly standard discounts that include:
- Switch and save. Get a break on your first policy term — anywhere from 3% to 8% — for signing on from another provider.
- Multi-vehicle policies. Insure every driver and car in the family to save a bundle.
- Homeowner discount. Because homeowners are statistically more stable financially than people who rent, SafeAuto is willing to extend a discount for less risk.
- Safe driver discount. Generally, the cleaner your driving record, the less you’ll pay for auto insurance. Completing safe driving courses could further lower your rate.
- Paid in full discount. Get a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment rather than multiple installments.
- Good student discount. Students with good grades can save on car insurance in some states.
Pros and cons of SafeAuto car insurance
- Supports high-risk policyholders. If you’ve been in multiple accidents, have a low credit score or had a DUI violation, SafeAuto could be your insurance saving grace.
- Several discounts available. SafeAuto offers savings for switching policies, covering multiple vehicles or owning a home, with other potential discounts available through your agent.
- Multiple payment options. Pay upfront for the lowest overall cost, or put down money and spread the rest of your payments in two or five installments.
- Money transfers accepted. Outside of paying by phone, through autopay or online, use MoneyGram, Western Union or other money transfer services to stay current on your bills.
- Same-day claims payouts. You can provide personal details for SafeAuto to verify your identity and then provide your bank account, debit card or prepaid card number for same-day claims payouts without waiting for mailed checks.
- Poor customer support. SafeAuto receives its fair share of customer service complaints for a provider of its size, though this is often typical of high-risk insurers.
- No umbrella or bundling discounts. SafeAuto partners with other companies to provide health and life insurance, meaning you won’t get the seamless experience you could find with a larger health, life, home or auto insurer.
- No online claims. Many providers allow you to file claims online. Unfortunately, with SafeAuto, you’ll need to call the claims line to begin reporting your claim.
SafeAuto car insurance reviews and complaints
Even with nothing but negative customer reviews on Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) website, SafeAuto earns an A+ independent rating from the BBB itself. The provider received more than 180 customer complaints through the BBB site, most citing problems with service and billing. We checked these ratings on October, 2020.
You’ll also find negative reviews on the BBB website, which are different from complaints. More than 25 people left poor remarks about the company, protesting its claims and billing department, as well as its poor customer service in general.
SafeAuto also received a poor 5.20 rating on the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index, well above the national average rating of 1.00.
A note about customer reviews
Consumer ratings and reviews can give valuable insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but they rarely tell the whole story. Because customers don’t typically rate a product or service unless they want to rant and rave, you might want to take aggregated scores with a grain of salt.
How to apply for car insurance coverage with SafeAuto
Unlike many other providers of non-standard auto insurance, SafeAuto allows customers to purchase coverage online.
- Visit the SafeAuto homepage, enter your zip code, then click “Get a quote”
- Add your vehicle information or enter your VIN to save time.
- Enter your personal information, address, employment info, and so on. Click continue.
- Choose your coverage and other policy options, then click “Finish application”.
- Enter your contact info, address, and any other details, then continue.
- Review and finalize all policy details and payment, then click “Purchase my policy”. You’re now covered!
If you’d rather apply for coverage over the phone, you can call 1-800-723-3288 to speak with a representative.
How to file an auto insurance claim with SafeAuto
Whether you’re a SafeAuto customer or filing a claim against one of its policyholders, you can start the claims process by calling SafeAuto at 1-800-723-3288. Here’s what you’ll need:
- The date, time and location of the accident.
- The year, make and model of all involved vehicles.
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of all involved drivers and passengers, noting any injured parties
- Any insurance information you were able to obtain
- A brief summary of how the accident occurred.
Compare SafeAuto to competitors
Get quotes from other car insurance companies that cover drivers with violations or SR-22 needs.
Frequently asked questions about SafeAuto
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.