We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
A higher risk tolerance and variety of coverage options could be your ticket to affordable auto insurance.
SafeAuto is known for providing insurance to high-risk customers who may have trouble finding coverage elsewhere. Drivers can be considered high-risk for reasons that include poor credit, a spotty driving record or lapsed coverage. It’s estimated that 30% to 40% of all drivers on the road today are considered risky by their auto insurance providers.
|Name||SafeAuto Car Insurance|
|Description||Known for providing insurance to high-risk customers who may have trouble finding coverage elsewhere, SafeAuto offers a lot of different discounts, from those for homeowners to good drivers.|
- Supports high-risk policyholders
- Many discounts available
- Multiple payment options including money transfers
- Average customer support ratings
- No umbrella or bundling discounts
What is SafeAuto?
Founded in 1992, SafeAuto is a property and casualty insurance company based in Columbus, Ohio. The company provides auto and motorcycle insurance directly, partnering with Augeo Benefits to deliver health insurance coverage as well.
What kinds of basic auto insurance does SafeAuto provide?
- Liability protection. This type of coverage pays when you’re at fault for an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision/comprehensive damage. Pays for damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object, but it also covers fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages and injury from hit-and-runs or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. Covering you and your passengers, it can include medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Takes care of the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
Does SafeAuto offer extended auto insurance options?
Yes, you can get coverage to the max through SafeAuto. You can also get the bare minimum, including SR-22 insurance.
SR-22 coverage is typically court-mandated as a means to meet legal insurance requirements after a serious moving violation, such as a DUI or DWI, an at-fault crash or any situation that results in the suspension or loss of your license.
What other kinds of coverage can I get?
While SafeAuto is technically a multiline insurance provider, it only offers auto and motorcycle insurance directly. SafeAuto partners with Augeo Benefits to provide health insurance, offering major and short-term medical, dental, critical illness, accident and life insurance policies.
What do customers say about SafeAuto?
Even with nothing but negative customer reviews on Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) website, SafeAuto currently earns an A+ independent rating from the bureau itself.
SafeAuto received more than 170 customer complaints through the BBB site, most citing problems with service and billing. You’ll also find those who chose to leave negative reviews, which are different from complaints. More than 20 people left poor remarks about SafeAuto, mostly protesting the company’s claims and billing department, as well as its poor customer service in general.
A note about customer reviewsConsumer ratings and reviews can give valuable insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but they rarely tell the whole story. Because customers don’t typically rate a product or service unless they want to rant and rave, you might want to take aggregated scores with a grain of salt.
Can I get discounts through SafeAuto?
Yes. SafeAuto provides fairly standard discounts that include:
- Switching from another provider. Get a break on your first policy term — anywhere from 3% to 8% — for signing on from another provider.
- Multivehicle policies. If your family includes more than one driver, keep insured under one provider to save some money.
- Homeowner discounts. Because homeowners are statistically more stable financially than people who rent, SafeAuto is willing to extend a discount for less risk.
- Safe driver discounts. Generally, the cleaner your driving record, the less you’ll pay for auto insurance. Completing safe driving courses could further lower your rate.
Pros and cons
- Supports high-risk policyholders. Whether you’ve been in multiple accidents, have a low credit score or carry a DUI/DWI violation — SafeAuto could be your insurance saving grace.
- Discounts available. SafeAuto offers savings for switching policies, covering multiple vehicles or owning a home, with other potential discounts available through your agent.
- Multiple payment options. Pay up front for the lowest overall cost, or put down 33% for savings on a 6-month or 12-month policy. Standard monthly premiums don’t offer discounts but could make your monthly bill more palatable on a tight budget.
- Money transfers accepted. Outside of paying by phone, through autopay or online, use MoneyGram, Western Union or other providers to stay current on your bills.
- Average support. SafeAuto receives it’s fair share of customer service complaints for a provider of its size.
- No umbrella or bundling discounts. SafeAuto partners with other companies to provide health and life insurance, meaning you won’t get the seamless experience you could find with a larger health, life, home and auto insurance provider.
SafeAuto isn’t trying to compete with the everyday provider. Instead, it provides car insurance to drivers who might have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere.
If you don’t need the considerations offered by SafeAuto or are looking for a high standard of service and customer engagement, you may be better off with another insurance company. Compare top providers to make the best decisions for your auto insurance needs.