SafeAuto car insurance review
A higher risk tolerance and variety of coverage options could be your ticket to affordable auto insurance.
finder.com’s rating: 2.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you have been denied coverage by other providers.
- Pick something else if you want top notch support or bundling discounts.
- Drivers with a spotty driving record can get a policy from SafeAuto.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly (fee applies)|
|Claims methods||phone, in-person|
|New car protection||No|
- Supports high-risk policyholders
- Many discounts available
- Multiple payment options including money transfers
- Average customer support ratings
- No umbrella or bundling discounts
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for Finder, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on car, life, home and other insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a Bachelor of Arts in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade on topics ranging from technology and pets to finance and insurance.
SafeAuto isn’t trying to compete with the everyday provider. Instead, it provides car insurance to drivers who might have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere. That’s why you won’t find all the bells and whistles on its insurance policies, but you will be able to get coverage to legally drive.
SafeAuto’s specialty is serving drivers who might not be able to catch a break. If you don’t need SR-22 insurance or you’re looking for a high standard of service and customer engagement, you may be better off with another insurance company.
Where is SafeAuto car insurance available?
SafeAuto’s auto insurance policies are available in 17 states. However, it can also help people outside of its service area get coverage through its network of trusted insurance providers. Here’s where SafeAuto auto insurance policies are available:
- South Carolina
What auto insurance coverage does SafeAuto offer?
- Liability protection. This type of coverage pays when you’re at fault for an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision/comprehensive damage. Pays for damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object, but it also covers fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages and injury from hit-and-runs or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. Covering you and your passengers, it can include medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Takes care of the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- SR-22 insurance. SafeAuto will help you file for SR-22 insurance if you need it after a DUI or other traffic conviction.
Discounts on SafeAuto car insurance
SafeAuto provides fairly standard discounts that include:
- Switching from another provider. Get a break on your first policy term — anywhere from 3% to 8% — for signing on from another provider.
- Multi-vehicle policies. If your family includes more than one driver, keep insured under one provider to save some money.
- Homeowner discounts. Because homeowners are statistically more stable financially than people who rent, SafeAuto is willing to extend a discount for less risk.
- Safe driver discounts. Generally, the cleaner your driving record, the less you’ll pay for auto insurance. Completing safe driving courses could further lower your rate.
- Lump sum payment. Get a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment rather than in multiple installments.
- Driver Improvement Course discounts. In some states, you may be able to get discounted rates for completing an approved driver improvement course.
Does SafeAuto offer any special perks or programs?
- Mobile app. SafeAuto offers a mobile app that allows you to present ID cards, make payments, and more.
- Roadside assistance. Get help if your car breaks down when you are away from home or on the road.
- Payment plans. SafeAuto offers a variety of payment places to help customers pay for their policies.
- ForeverCar. A vehicle service plan and extended car warranty through one of SafeAuto’s affiliates.
- Quick Pay. Easily pay your bills without signing up for an online account.
Pros and cons of SafeAuto car insurance
- Supports high-risk policyholders. Whether you’ve been in multiple accidents, have a low credit score or carry a DUI/DWI violation — SafeAuto could be your insurance saving grace.
- Discounts available. SafeAuto offers savings for switching policies, covering multiple vehicles or owning a home, with other potential discounts available through your agent.
- Multiple payment options. Pay upfront for the lowest overall cost, or put down 33% for savings on a 6-month or 12-month policy. Standard monthly premiums don’t offer discounts but could make your monthly bill more palatable on a tight budget.
- Money transfers accepted. Outside of paying by phone, through autopay or online, use MoneyGram, Western Union or other providers to stay current on your bills.
- Average support. SafeAuto receives its fair share of customer service complaints for a provider of its size.
- No umbrella or bundling discounts. SafeAuto partners with other companies to provide health and life insurance, meaning you won’t get the seamless experience you could find with a larger health, life, home and auto insurance provider.
- No online claims. Many providers allow you to file claims online. Unfortunately, SafeAuto does not. Instead, you’ll need to call the claims line to begin reporting your claim.
What do customers say about SafeAuto?
Even with nothing but negative customer reviews on Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) website, SafeAuto currently earns an A+ independent rating from the bureau itself. The provider received more than 170 customer complaints through the BBB site, most citing problems with service and billing.
You’ll also find those who chose to leave negative reviews on the BBB website, which are different from complaints. More than 20 people left poor remarks about SafeAuto, mostly protesting the company’s claims and billing department, as well as its poor customer service in general.
A note about customer reviews
Consumer ratings and reviews can give valuable insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but they rarely tell the whole story. Because customers don’t typically rate a product or service unless they want to rant and rave, you might want to take aggregated scores with a grain of salt.
How to apply for car insurance coverage with SafeAuto
Unlike many other providers of non-standard auto insurance, SafeAuto allows customers to purchase coverage online.
- Visit the SafeAuto homepage, enter your zip code, then click “Get a quote”
- Add your vehicle information or enter your VIN to save time.
- Enter your personal information, address, employment info, and so on. Click continue.
- Choose your coverage and other policy options, then click “Finish application”.
- Enter your contact info, address, and any other details, then continue.
- Review and finalize all policy details and payment, then click “Purchase my policy”. You’re now covered!
If you’d rather apply for coverage over the phone, you can call 1-800-723-3288 to speak with a representative.
How to file an auto insurance claim with SafeAuto
Whether you’re a SafeAuto customer or filing a claim against one of its policyholders, you can start the claims process by calling SafeAuto at 1-800-723-3288. Here’s what you’ll need:
- The date, time and location of the accident.
- The year, make and model of all involved vehicles.
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of all involved drivers and passengers, noting any injured parties
- Any insurance information you were able to obtain
- A brief summary of how the accident occurred.
Compare SafeAuto to competitors
Frequently asked questions about SafeAuto
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.