SafeAuto car insurance review 2021
Affordable coverage for drivers with a spotty record, but not the best customer support
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re denied coverage by other companies.
- Pick something else if you want top-notch support or bundling discounts.
- Drivers with a spotty record can get a policy from SafeAuto.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, California, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, Quarterly, monthly (fee applies)|
|Claims methods||phone, in-person|
- Supports high-risk policyholders
- Discounts available
- Multiple payment options
- Money transfers accepted
- Same-day claims payouts
- Poor customer support
- No umbrella or bundling discounts
- No online claims
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
SafeAuto isn’t trying to compete with the everyday insurer. Instead, it offers car insurance to drivers who might have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere due to a bad driving record or DUI. That’s why you won’t find all the bells and whistles on its insurance policies, but you will be able to get coverage to legally drive.
SafeAuto sees a high number of customer complaints and low customer satisfaction scores, with customers complaining of billing issues, claims issues and trouble getting help from customer service to resolve these problems.
SafeAuto’s specialty is serving drivers who might not be able to catch a break. If you don’t need SR-22 insurance or you’re looking for a high standard of service and customer engagement, you may be better off with another insurance company.
How to get a free car insurance quote with SafeAuto
Unlike many insurers offering non-standard auto insurance, SafeAuto lets you buy coverage online. But the company is merging with National General, a subsidiary of Allstate. You may see changes to its branding, website or quote tool later in 2021.
- Visit the SafeAuto homepage, enter your zip code, then click “Get a quote”
- Add your vehicle information or enter your VIN to save time.
- Enter your personal information, address, employment info, and so on. Click continue.
- Choose your coverage and other policy options, then click “Finish application”.
- Enter your contact info, address, and any other details, then continue.
- Review and finalize all policy details and payment, then click “Purchase my policy”. You’re now covered!
If you’d rather apply for coverage over the phone, you can call 800-723-3288 to speak with a representative.
Discounts on SafeAuto car insurance
SafeAuto provides fairly standard discounts that include:
- Switch and save. Get a break on your first policy term — anywhere from 3% to 8% — for signing on from another provider.
- Multi-vehicle policies. Insure every driver and car in the family to save a bundle.
- Homeowner discount. Because homeowners are statistically more stable financially than people who rent, SafeAuto is willing to extend a discount for less risk.
- Safe driver discount. Generally, the cleaner your driving record, the less you’ll pay for auto insurance. Completing safe driving courses could further lower your rate.
- Paid in full discount. Get a discount when you pay your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment rather than multiple installments.
- Good student discount. Students with good grades can save on car insurance in some states.
What extra perks can I get?
SafeAuto offers a few benefits to make your life easier during the claims process.
- Same-day pay. You can get your claims money deposited directly into your bank account on the same day your claim is approved, as opposed to waiting for a check in the mail.
- 24-7 claims help. You can get claims assistance any time of day or night.
SafeAuto car insurance reviews and complaints
Even with nothing but negative customer reviews on Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) website, SafeAuto earns an A+ independent rating from the BBB itself. The provider received more than 212 customer complaints as of April, 2021 through the BBB site, most citing problems with service and billing.
You’ll also find negative reviews on the BBB website, which are different from complaints. More than 25 people left poor remarks about the company, protesting its claims and billing department, as well as its poor customer service in general.
SafeAuto also received a poor 9.07 rating on the 2020 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index, well above the national average rating of 1.00.
Consumer ratings and reviews can give valuable insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but they rarely tell the whole story. Because customers don’t typically rate a product or service unless they want to rant and rave, you might want to take aggregated scores with a grain of salt.
Our star ratings for SafeAuto, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate SafeAuto about average because of the company’s basic coverage options, available discounts and poor customer service ratings. The company does keep a high BBB rating, which boosts its overall Finder rating slightly.
Compare SafeAuto to alternatives
Get quotes from other car insurance companies that cover drivers with violations or SR-22 needs.
What auto insurance coverage does SafeAuto offer?
SafeAuto specializes in minimum liability insurance, but you can opt for other standard coverage as well.
- Liability protection. This type of coverage pays when you’re at fault for an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm. SafeAuto sticks to low maximum limits.
- Collision/comprehensive damage. Pays for damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object, but it also covers fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Accidental death benefit. This coverage pays a flat amount to your loved ones if you die due to injuries from a car accident within 90 days of the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages and injury from hit-and-runs or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. Covering you and your passengers, it can include medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- SR-22 insurance. SafeAuto will help you file for SR-22 insurance if you need it after a DUI or other traffic conviction.
- Roadside assistance. Get help if your car breaks down when you’re away from home or on the road.
Where is SafeAuto car insurance available?
SafeAuto’s auto insurance policies are available in 18 states. However, those who live outside its service area can get help finding coverage through SafeAuto’s network of trusted insurance providers. Here’s where SafeAuto auto insurance policies are available:
- South Carolina
Pros and cons of SafeAuto car insurance
- Supports high-risk drivers. If you’ve been in multiple accidents, have a low credit score or had a DUI violation, SafeAuto could be your insurance saving grace.
- Flexible payment options. Pay upfront for the lowest overall cost, or put down money and spread the rest of your payments in two or five installments.
- Money transfers accepted. Outside of paying by phone, through autopay or online, use MoneyGram, Western Union or other money transfer services to stay current on your bills.
- Same-day claims payouts. You can provide personal details for SafeAuto to verify your identity and then provide your bank account, debit card or prepaid card number for same-day claims payouts without waiting for mailed checks.
- Poor customer support. SafeAuto receives its fair share of customer service complaints for a provider of its size, though this is often typical of high-risk insurers.
- Basic coverage options. This company’s mainstay is offering basic coverage to help drivers save money. You won’t find many options that boost your car insurance protection.
- No bundling discounts. SafeAuto partners with other companies to provide health and life insurance, which means that you won’t get the seamless experience you would with a company that offers all of these policies under one brand. And you won’t see savings for buying all your policies here.
- No online claims. Many companies allow you to file claims online. Unfortunately, with SafeAuto, you’ll need to call the claims line to begin reporting your claim.
How to file an auto insurance claim with SafeAuto
Whether you’re a SafeAuto customer or filing a claim against one of its policyholders, you can start the claims process by calling SafeAuto at 800-723-3288. Here’s what you’ll need:
- The date, time and location of the accident.
- The year, make and model of all involved vehicles.
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of all involved drivers and passengers, noting any injured parties
- Any insurance information you were able to obtain
- A brief summary of how the accident occurred.
Frequently asked questions about SafeAuto
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.