Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Rug cleaning services
What to know before hiring a professional to clean your rugs.
Rugs are beautiful additions to any home. Unfortunately, vacuuming alone won’t rid your rugs of dirt, dust and allergens.
Here’s everything you need to know about rug cleaning services, including costs and what to look for in a rug cleaning company.
What are rug cleaning services?
Rug cleaners specialize in sanitizing rugs and removing stubborn stains. Since rugs come in many different materials and weaves, making them prone to pulls, rips and tears, a professional cleaning service can help restore the look of your rug and enhance its longevity.
What does a rug cleaning service do?
A rug cleaning service is tailored to every rug, but some of the services include:
- Steam or chemical cleaning
- Stain removal treatments
- Cleaning and grooming of fringes
- Specialty cleaning processes for Oriental, Kashmir, Persian and antique rugs
- Protectors that prevent damage from future dirt and spills
How do I hire a rug cleaning service?
You can find many rug cleaning services online. Search directly on Google or check out an online directory like Whitepages. You can also browse online platforms like HomeAdvisor for local businesses, where you can read reviews and request quotes from several providers.
What to consider when hiring rug cleaning services
When shopping for rug cleaners, consider the following factors:
- Experience. Since area rugs can have intricate weaves, make sure to choose a reputable company that knows how to work with your rugs’ material and style.
- Cleaning method. Shop for a cleaning service that offers your preferred cleaning method, such as steam cleaning, chemical-based cleaning or handwashing.
- Pricing. Compare quotes to find a service that fits your budget.
- In-house or pickup and delivery. Some rug cleaning services will come to your house to clean, while others take your rugs to their facility.
- Reviews. Choose a company with favorable customer reviews and a history of customer satisfaction.
- Insurance. Cleaning services should have insurance, which protects you if it accidentally damages your property while cleaning.
How much does a rug cleaning service cost?
The cost varies depending on how thick your rug is, the cleaning method required for the rug’s fabric and whether you need stains removed.
|Cleaning method||Cost per square foot||Rug fabric|
|Steam clean||$1-$4||Synthetic rugs|
|Dry cleaning or chemical-based cleaning||$1.50-$5||Medium-quality natural fiber rugs, including machine-woven silk and wool|
|Handwashing||$3-$8||High-quality Oriental and Persian rugs|
How should I prepare for a rug cleaning service?
Here are some steps you should take before a rug restorer or cleaner arrives:
- Vacuum the top layer of dirt and dust, so the rug cleaners can concentrate on the soiled-in dirt that sits deeper in the rug threads.
- Remove fragile and valuable items from around the room.
- Remove any furniture on top of the rug whenever possible.
- Hang up curtains or drapes that touch the rug.
Do I need to be at home for a rug cleaning service?
It’s recommended that you are at home to receive the rug cleaning service when they pick up your rug or arrive for the in-home cleaning. The cleaning technician may need you to answer questions about the rug, including where the stains are.
Pros and cons
Using a rug cleaning service has its advantages and a few setbacks.
- Deep cleaning eliminates dirt, dust and allergens.
- Regular cleaning prolongs the life of your area rug.
- Professional cleaners have more experience dealing with a variety of fabrics and stains.
- More expensive than doing it yourself.
- Some stains may not be removed.
- Some rug cleaning companies charge pickup and delivery fees.
Professional rug cleaning services help to remove dust mites, bacteria and other allergens from your rugs. Hiring a professional cleaner ensures your rug gets the best clean possible. Be sure to book a service with good reviews that fits your budget.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Carpet cleaning services
Looking for a professional carpet cleaning service to remove stains and revive your carpet? Read our guide and learn how to find a reliable service.
Molekule review: Can it improve your home’s air quality?
Here’s what to know about Molekule, the air purifier that promises to destroy pollutants in your home like smoke, dust and mold.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
What is the Americans with Disabilities Act?
The ADA protects and serves the 1 in 4 Americans living with disabilities. Learn your legal rights and what you can do if you experience discrimination.
Coronavirus car care tips
Give your car a deep clean and keep up with maintenance yourself during the coronavirus.
Financial assistance for people affected by the coronavirus
Where to find relief if the COVID-19 outbreak hurts your income.
Cruises from Sydney
No matter what your traveling style, you’ll find a cruise from Sydney to suit your wants and needs with these top cruise liners.
How to sell on Overstock
Find out what you can sell and how much it costs to sell your products on Overstock.
Happsy mattress review
See what this nontoxic, organic mattress brand has to offer.
Compare the best crib mattresses
Help your baby sleep safely and soundly.
Ask an Expert