Try the Root app and see how much your safe driving could save you on car insurance.
- Get a quote if you want a cheap rate for your safe driving.
- Pick something else if you want a personal agent.
- Good drivers can save the most on auto insurance.
|States served||Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah|
|New car protection||No|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes (history based)|
- Rewards good drivers
- Fast claims
- No gap coverage
- No agents to access
- Limited states
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Paid-In-Full Discount, Advanced Quote Discount|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
Where is Root car insurance available?
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
Root plans to launch in Alaska, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia soon. Root added four new states in six months at the time of writing, so the company is growing quickly and plans to continue to expand its availability. To learn about your own state, sign up for notifications online.
How does Root work?
Root designed its innovative app to do most of the work. Using your smartphone’s accelerometer and GPS, the app can determine your speeds, distance and overall skill over the course of your test drive. It also monitors the hours you’re typically behind the wheel, ranking daylight driving safer than at night.
- Download the app. To get started, download the app and sign up for your test drive.
- Take your test drive. Root’s app will monitor your driving habits for two to three weeks, though some drivers have reported a longer test drive period to correctly calibrate a rate.
- Keep track of your score. You can keep track of how you’re doing during the test drive with the app’s Driver Scorecard, which rates how well you break, turn and maneuver down the road.
- See your score. After you’ve logged enough trips for a score, Root rates your driving on a scale of 1 to 10. If it’s lower than you’d like, use the remaining time in your test drive to improve your score.
- Get your custom quote. Root then calculates a quote and presents a policy that matches your on-the-road behaviors.
How does Root decide my rate?
Your test drive is the largest factor that Root considers when putting together your policy and price. But, to a lesser extent, it also considers your driving record, general demographics and your overall credit history — factors more traditional insurers use too.
If your driving doesn’t meet Root’s requirements, Root will decline offering a quote. You won’t be able to retake your test drive to sign up for a policy.
What car insurance coverage does Root offer?
Root offers a full range of liability, collision and comprehensive coverage. The app also allows you to see how limits can affect your monthly rate, which comes in handy when narrowing down the coverage want at a rate that fits your budget.
- Bodily injury. Covers injuries to others that result from an accident you caused. Choose a limit up to $250,000 per accident.
- Property damage. Protects you if you damage another person’s property in an accident. Choose a limit up to $250,000 per accident.
- Collision. Covers damage to your vehicle caused by an accident
- Comprehensive. Pays for repairs if your car is damaged by something other than an accident — for instance, fire or vandalism.
- Medical payments. Pays for medical care after an accident, whether you’ve collided with a car, a bike or a tree.
- Personal injury protection. Covers medical expenses, lost wages and other indirect costs for you and your passengers after an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Pays for car repairs if you’re in an accident caused by a driver without sufficient insurance.
- Uninsured motorist property damage. Covers damages to your car if you’re hit by an uninsured driver.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for you to rent a car or otherwise get around while yours is in the shop for repairs after an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Included free with every policy. Reimburses you for towing, jump-starts and emergency assistance on the road. Just send photos of receipts to Root’s customer service.
What discounts can I get with Root Insurance?
For qualifying customers, Root Insurance offers a string of discounts and rewards.
Root’s whole premise is rewarding good drivers with low rates. And so it doesn’t offer the discounts that mainstream car insurance providers do, like those for good students.
Like many other startups, Root provides special referral discounts. If you love the savings you’re getting with Root, invite your friends to sign up through a personalized referral link. Depending on where you live, you could make anywhere from $10 to $100 for each successful referral.
How much is Root car insurance?
It all depends on your driving. Root tracks your driving via its innovative app, and after two to three weeks, it recommends a policy it thinks will work best for you.
Root offers simple, affordable insurance that’s ideal for good drivers. It’s also a good option for young drivers who haven’t yet established a solid record of responsible driving.
Pros and cons of Root car insurance
- Rewards good drivers. When calculating a quote, Root weighs most heavily your overall driving behaviors, rather than demographic information like age or gender.
- Fast claims. Root processes claims within 10 business days — which is faster than the industry standard of several weeks.
- Includes roadside help. All Root Insurance policies — including basic liability — include roadside assistance, easily accessed from the app.
- No gap coverage or rideshare coverage. If you’re financing or leasing a vehicle, you won’t find coverage to bridge the difference between the balance remaining on your vehicle and the amount that’s covered in a total loss. You also won’t be covered while you drive for Uber or Lyft.
- No agents. Root operates out of an app only. But you can get help each day by phone from 9 am to 11 pm ET or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Limited states. Root services 20 states only at the time of writing, though it plans to roll out nationwide in 2019.
How to apply for Root Insurance
To get started with your test drive, download Root Insurance’s free app and sign up in minutes.
- Go to Root Insurance’s site and click Get the app at upper right.
- Enter your phone number and click Text me a link to the app.
- After you download the app, open it and click Get started.
- Choose whether you’d like to set up your account by email or through Facebook.
- Adjust your settings to enable location, motion and notifications.
- Scan your driver’s license and provide your personal contact information.
- Start your two- to three-week test drive period, which monitors your driving through GPS.
- After Root compiles enough data, they’ll send a note through app to let you know if you qualify for a quote.
What info do I need to apply?
To take a test drive and get a quote, you need only your driver’s license and basic personal information. Signup takes minutes, eliminating the need for endless questions many national providers ask.
When it’s time to sign up for a policy, you’ll provide your Social Security number, banking details and vehicle information, among any other documents Root requires.
What do customers say about Root car insurance?
Overall, customer have good things to say about their experience with Root Insurance, especially the rates they’ve gotten with this startup — a few saying they’ve saved up to $100 a month. Negative reviews focus on inaccurate driving scores on the test drive and billing issues with coverage.
At the time of writing, Root earns 4.1 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau (BBB), where it’s accredited since January 2017. A good sign of solid support: Root reps have so far replied to every negative complaint on the site.
How to contact Root Insurance
If you’re not able to get the help you need through the app’s support menu, you have options to speak with a representative, depending on your needs:
- General questions. Contact Root Insurance’s customer support team at 866-980-9431 weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm ET or email email@example.com.
- Claims assistance. Call 844-867-2514 at any time.
- Roadside assistance. Call 855-982-1720 at any time.
How do I find a Root Insurance agent near me?
Root Insurance runs all business through its smartphone app. You’re not assigned a dedicated agent, and you won’t have the opportunity to visit an office to discuss your policy or claim.
Compare Root to other providers
Quality auto insurance with good coverage doesn’t have to cost a pretty penny — especially if you’re a responsible driver. But Root Insurance asks you to prove it, requiring you to sign up for a test drive that monitors a few weeks of your driving on the road.
If you’re up for the test, this startup may reward your good driving behaviors with lower rates than you’ll find elsewhere. And so far, its policyholders like what it offers.
If your driving record isn’t as clean as you’d like it to be or you need specialized coverage compare your car insurance options to find a provider that meets your needs.