Rocket Lawyer online legal services review
An online company offering legal documents but no legal representation.
Rocket Lawyer provides online legal service subscriptions for businesses and personal needs. Its website is written in plain language and walks you through tricky legal forms. But you may need additional legal help — users report difficulty getting an attorney on the phone.
What services does Rocket Lawyer provide?
Rocket Lawyer provides legal help for business, real estate, family and personal needs. Browse its extensive collection of legal documents, answer a few questions and quickly create your legal doc. And if you need help, submit your legal question to get an answer within one business day.
As part of your membership, an attorney can enforce or resolve disputes on any Rocket Lawyer document.
Some of Rocket Lawyer’s most popular features include:
- Divorce documents. A lawyer is not always required during a divorce. Use Rocket Lawyer’s worksheets and divorce agreements to help you through the separation.
- Estate planning. Help with writing a will to distribute your assets, design a living trust to provide for your children and designate a power of attorney.
- Incorporation assistance. Whether you own an LLC or a nonprofit, an attorney can file all the paperwork to incorporate your business.
- Rental property documents. Design a rental application to find your ideal tenant and create a lease agreement to put your terms in writing.
- Legal docs. Browse its extensive collection of legal documents, including wills, trusts and powers of attorney. Answer a few quick questions and violà — based on your answers, it generates the form for you to download and sign.
- Answers to legal questions. Submit legal questions on its website and get an answer within one business day.
- Enforcement of Rocket Lawyer documents. An attorney takes action to enforce a contract or resolve a dispute on a Rocket Lawyer document.
- Document review. Submit a request to have an attorney review a document.
How does Rocket Lawyer work?
Rocket Lawyer helps you create legal documents that you can sign online, print out and access on any device. It has a rich library of templated legal documents that are fully customizable.
If you need help or have any legal questions, you can submit your inquiry to an attorney. A Rocket Lawyer On Call Attorney will either respond via email or chat with you for 30 minutes on the phone.
How much does Rocket Lawyer cost?
Premium members pay a monthly subscription fee of $39.99 to unlock all of Rocket Lawyer’s services. They also have an à la carte menu for customers who need a one-time service.
|Service||Description||Premium member price||Nonmember price|
|Legal documents||Answer a few questions about your issue and Rocket Lawyer tailors a legal document to you.||Included||$39.99 a document|
|Divorce||Complete forms online by answering a quick survey about your unique situation.||Included||$39.99 for a divorce settlement agreement|
|Document defense||An attorney reviews your Rocket Lawyer document and responds on your behalf to help enforce the contract.||Included||$9.99 a document|
|Ask a legal question||Submit a legal question on the website and a Rocket Lawyer responds within one business day.||Included||$49.99 a question|
|30-minute consultation||If your legal question requires a longer answer, an attorney will speak to you for 30 minutes.||Included||$59.99 per consultation|
|Incorporation filing||Tell Rocket Lawyer about your business and it helps you file your paperwork.||Included for new members, then $74.99 excluding state fees||$99.99, excluding state fees|
Does Rocket Lawyer have a free trial?
Yes, you can try Rocket Lawyer for free for seven days. You can ask one legal question online and create three legal documents for free as part of the trial.
- Extensive library of legal forms. Its database of legal forms is enormous for business and personal use — distinctly more personal forms than its competitors. It also has guides and worksheets to help you prepare to file these documents.
- No legalese. Rocket Lawyer handles the confusing legal jargon by asking you a series of questions in plain English. Then, it creates your legal document on your behalf.
- Quick answers. If you have a simple legal question, you can read about the topic or ask it online. An attorney usually responds in one business day.
- Discounts on legal representation. Premium members who need help beyond the free 30-minute consultation can work with an attorney at 40% off their hourly rate.
- Clunky process to speak to an attorney. Type and submit your legal question, which the Rocket Lawyer on call attorney will try to answer online. If your situation needs more attention, you’ll get a 30-minute consultation. For additional legal advice, you pay out-of-pocket attorney fees.
- One answer per issue. You’re entitled to one free answer or 30-minute conversation with an attorney for each new legal matter. Anything more costs extra.
- No trial defense. Rocket Lawyer membership does not cover any attorney representation in a court. You can purchase legal counsel at a discount of 40% by using a Rocket Lawyer attorney.
Compare online legal services
Depending on the legal situation, you may want to seek out professional guidance. Compare a range of online legal services below.
Alternatives to Rocket Lawyer
Rocket Lawyer caps conversations with attorneys at 30 minutes. If you prefer to speak with an attorney on the phone without a timer, you might consider LegalShield. A LegalShield attorney will talk to you as long as they feel is necessary to answer your question sufficiently.
Unlike Rocket Lawyer, LegalZoom shows customer reviews for each attorney in its network. If you’d like to read up on a lawyer before using one, LegalZoom might be a better option.
Rocket Lawyer reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, customers praise how easy it is to draft up a legal form with Rocket Lawyer. Most negative reviews are from users who signed up for a free trial and didn’t cancel their membership before the monthly subscription fee kicked in.
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||4-star rating|
Rocket Lawyer may be an attractive option for individuals or businesses that need help with legal forms. But if you’re more comfortable speaking with a lawyer on the phone, you might consider other legal service providers.