Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard® review
A digital-first store card with surprisingly robust rewards.
- Get this card if: you regularly shop at Walmart and prefer shopping online.
- Pick something else if: You shop in-store or eschew mobile payments.
- Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher.
Up to 5%
17.99%, 23.24% or 26.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Welcome Offer||5% on in-store purchases made with Walmart Pay for the first 12 months (then 2%)|
|Rewards||5% back at Walmart.com, 5% in-store with Walmart Pay for the first 12 months (then 2%), 2% on restaurants and travel and 1% on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||17.99%, 23.24% or 26.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||17.99%, 23.24% or 26.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||580|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
On September 24th, Walmart and Capital One are introducing two new credit card products to replace Walmart’s old offerings, both aimed at consumers who prefer shopping online: the Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard® and the Walmart Rewards Card.
Unlike Walmart’s last credit card offerings through Synchrony, the Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard® is a universally accepted card and is surprisingly robust. It offers a nice cashback rate on purchases made through Walmart.com, an introductory rewards rate on in-store purchases and a solid rewards rate on dining and travel. You’ll see very few store cards with the same earning potential and flexibility as the Walmart Rewards Mastercard.
The catch? You’ll need to do most of your Walmart shopping online to get the best rates. But given the card’s earning flexibility elsewhere, the card could still be useful regardless.
How to apply for Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard®
You can apply online through Walmart.com, CapitalOne.com or the Walmart App.
Capital One is also offering an additional and interesting method for applying: You can text a number offered by Capital One to apply immediately through your mobile phone. Once approved, you’ll gain immediate access to your Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard®.
What credit score do I need?
To qualify for the Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard®, apply with a fair credit score of 580 or greater.
- Big rewards when shopping online. Earn 5% back on purchases made at Walmart.com and on purchases made through Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery. This is an increase over Walmart’s last card which offered 3% for online purchases.
- Introductory offer rate. Earn 5% back on in-store purchases made with Walmart Pay for the first 12 months after approval. After the introductory period, you’ll earn 2% back on in-store purchases.
- Solid rewards elsewhere. You’ll also earn 2% back on restaurants and travel and 1% back everywhere else.
- Broad redemption options. Enjoy a variety of redemption options at your disposal, including travel, gift cards, on Walmart.com purchases and statement credits. This breadth is unusual for store cards, which often limit redemptions to the associated retailer.
- No annual fee. Don’t worry about paying anything to simply own this card.
- No foreign transaction fees. Incur no fees on purchases made abroad with your card.
- Capital One mobile app. Get the Capital One mobile app, which has features such as security alerts, purchase notifications and benefits for your Walmart Rewards Mastercard.
What to watch out for
- Digitally focused. To regularly earn 5% back, you’ll need to make your Walmart purchases online. Outside of the introductory period, you’ll earn just 2% back when making Walmart purchases in-store.
Walmart Rewards Card
In addition to the Walmart Rewards Mastercard, Capital One is also releasing the Walmart Rewards card. It’s not yet clear if it’s a lower-tier version of the Walmart Rewards Mastercard, though it has an important difference: The Walmart Rewards Card can only be used for Walmart purchases.
This means this card doesn’t earn 2% back on restaurants and travel nor 1% back everywhere else. This card will, however, earn 2% back at Walmart Fuel Stations.
It’s also unclear if the Walmart Rewards Card possesses foreign transaction fees. Otherwise, the card’s annual fee, online purchase earning rates and introductory offer remain the same.
Save more at Walmart
Some of Walmart’s biggest sales both in-store and online usually happen around back-to-school season and the Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping season. Other times of year, look for everyday clearance and rollback prices on thousands of items, with an even larger selection of goods and deals online.
And don’t forget to snag a coupon or limited-time deal before you shop.
Compare other store cards
Big reward rates, flexible redemption options and a slick focus on digital access make the Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard® a great option for Walmart enthusiasts. And the fact that this card can earn solid rewards outside of Walmart – a rarity for store cards – makes this a store card worth keeping an eye on.
If Walmart isn’t your preferred department store of choice, compare other store credit cards to find one that fits your spending.