A simple store card for loyal Walmart customers.
- Get this card if you often shop at Walmart.com website.
- Pick something else if you want a more universally accepted credit card.
- Apply with a fair credit score or higher.
|Product Name||Walmart Credit Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||24.65% variable|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 23 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Rates & Fees||Rates & Fees|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
The Walmart Credit Card is a simple no-annual-fee card which is relatively easy to get. It could come in handy to those who often shop online at Walmart.com where you’ll save 3% on your purchases. However, if you visit Walmart stores physycally, you’ll save only 1%.
If you want to get 5% cash back at a department store, the Target REDcard™ would be a better choice. You’ll earn the same cash back on Target purchases online and at the store, plus you’ll get some cool perks like free shipping, extended returns and other extras.
Target REDcard™ Credit Card
A no annual fee credit card and discounts when you shop at Target.
- Up to 25 days interest free
Get 3% cash back at Walmart.com purchases including grocery pickup, 2% cash back on Murphy USA and Walmart gas and get 1% back on everything else where your card is accepted. Your cash back is paid as a statement credit.
Get $25 bonus by spending $25 or more within 24 hours of your card approval.
Is Walmart Credit Card universally accepted?
Walmart issues two cards:
- Walmart Credit Card
- Walmart Mastercard®
Both cards are virtually the same, with the main difference — Walmart Credit Card is a store card accepted only at Walmart and their affiliate stores, while the Walmart Mastercard® is a universally accepted card.
You’ll also like …
No annual fee.
You won’t pay an annual fee to own the card.
Get $0 fraud liability, special financing offers throughout the year, quick cash and access to your FICO® Score.
What to watch out for
High cashback rate only for online purchases.
You’ll get 3% back only if you shop at Walmart online. If you visit Walmart physically and use your card, you’ll only get 1% back.
Limited card acceptance.
If you get the Walmart Credit Card, you’ll only be able to use it at locations, such as Walmart stores, Walmart Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, Walmart.com, Walmart and Murphy USA Gas Stations, and Sam’s Clubs.
The card comes with a flat APR on purchases of 24.65% variable. You can avoid this by paying your balance when due.
Consider other cards if …
You mostly purchase things on Amazon.
In that case, an Amazon card would work. You can get 5% back on Amazon and Whole Foods Market purchases with the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card. You’ll also get 2% back at gas stations, restaurants and drugstores and 1% back on everything else you buy. Since this is a Visa card, you can use it everywhere where credit cards are accepted payment method.
You want higher cash back at another department store.
Consider the Target REDcard™ where you’ll earn 5% on purchases at Target’s physical stores and online. That’s up to $100 cash back on $2,000 spent. For comparison, the Walmart card will give you $60 back on the same $2,000 spent.
Compare other store cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be a US resident.
Also, you’ll need to provide your:
- Full name, contact information and address.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Annual income.
In your application form, you can add authorized users or you can choose to get the optional card security offered by Synchrony Bank.
What do customers say about the Walmart Credit Card?
Those who often shop at Walmart are satisfied with the cashback rates. Also, they claim they easily managed to get their credit line increased after several months.
However, a number of complaints go for the Synchrony Bank and their customer support. Others complained about issues with fraudulent charges and some even claim they had their credit line lowered without any explanation or a reason.
Synchrony Bank is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau where it’s been accredited since 2006.
How to apply for the Walmart Credit Card?
- Find the Walmart Credit Card on the Walmart website. Click Apply now.
- Sign in to your Walmart account. If you don’t have an account, you can create one.
- Fill out the application form with your personal and financial information.
- Review the form and submit.
How long will it take to get my Walmart Credit Card?
You should get a decision on your application within minutes.
Upon approval, your card should arrive within 7 to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Walmart mobile app. Use the app to make purchases or choose pickup from the physical store for items that you purchased; simplify your shopping and more.
- Pay your bill online. Submit payments electronically by signing in to your Walmart credit account.
- Avoid paying interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do so, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Customer support. For any card-related questions, call 1-877-294-7880 and the customer service representative will assist you.
If you’re a regular Walmart shopper, the Walmart Credit Card may be a good incentive to keep you shopping, especially since it costs nothing to own it.
However, you could get better cashback rates with other store credit cards. Make sure you compare your options to get the right card for your neds.