A no-frills card for loyal Walmart customers.
It’s not packed with features, but the Walmart Credit Card comes with simple incentives to keep you shopping.
Its backbone is the 3-2-1 Save rewards program, which offers three tiers of savings depending on what you buy.
|Product Name||WALMART® credit card|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||23.90% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 23 days|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
The Walmart Credit Card has one goal: to keep you coming back to Walmart. You’ll find a small signup bonus, but the real benefit is the 3-2-1 Save rewards program, which offers:
- 3% savings on Walmart.com purchases
- 2% savings on gas at Murphy USA and Walmart
- 1% savings on purchases at Walmart and Walmart-affiliated stores
As an incentive to return to Walmart, the savings will be applied as statement credit. You’ll like that if you’re a regular Walmart shopper. If you’re not, consider looking into a regular credit card. The BankAmericard Cash Rewards Credit Card, for example, offers competitive 3% cash back on gas and 2% cash back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs.
You won’t pay an annual fee with the Walmart Credit Card. And because it’s a store credit card, they say it’s easy to be approved. If you’re having trouble getting approved elsewhere, applying for the Walmart card could be a good first step.
The Nuts and Bolts
|Walmart Credit Card Stats|
|Product name||WALMART® credit card|
|Issuing bank||Synchrony Bank|
|Annual fee||$0 p.a.|
|Sign-up bonus||Walmart offers varies sign-up bonuses that change seasonaly|
|Intro purchase APR||N/A|
|Intro balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Balance transfer fee||N/A|
|Foreign transaction fee||N/A|
|Cash advance rate||N/A|
|Cash advance fee||N/A|
|Late payment fee||Up to $38|
|Returned payment fee||N/A|
|Maximum credit limit||N/A|
|Minimum interest charge||$1|
Benefits of the Walmart Credit Card
- Savings on Walmart purchases. Save 3% at Walmart.com, 2% on Murphy USA and Walmart gas and 1% at Walmart-affiliated stores. (Savings are applied as statement credit.)
- Seasonal sign-up bonuses. Currently. new cardholders can save $25 when they open a card and spend $25 on the first day.
What to watch out for
- You can only use your card at Walmart-affiliated stores. These locations include Walmart stores, Walmart Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, Walmart.com, Walmart and Murphy USA Gas Stations, and Sam’s Clubs.
- High APR. The Walmart Credit Card has a relatively high APR of 23.90% variable. You can avoid paying interest if you pay your balance within 23 days after the end of each billing cycle.
Compare the Walmart card to other store cards
How to apply for the Walmart Credit Card
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Like most store credit cards, the Walmart Credit Card is fairly easy to get approved for — even if you have less-than-stellar credit.
1. Click on the blue banner to start your application.
2. Sign in to your Walmart account. If you don’t have an account, you can create one by clicking “Create a new account.”
3. You’ll be taken to the application page. Fill out your personal info, contact info and annual net income. After you’ve entered your information, agree to the credit terms at the bottom of the page and click the “Accept and Submit” button.
I got the card — now what?
- Pay your bill online. You can submit payments electronically by signing in to your Walmart credit account.
- Checking your rewards balance. Your credit statements will show your current rewards balances. You can also check your balances online.
- Avoid interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do so, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late payments come with hefty fees of up to $38.
If you’re a regular Walmart shopper, the Walmart Credit Card may be a good incentive to keep you shopping. Before applying, consider cash-back credit cards — they may offer comparable rewards.