Grocery shopping just got a lot more rewarding with the Amex Plenti Credit Card.
- Get this card if… you spend the majority of your money at supermarkets.
- Pick something else if… you’re looking for rewards for purchases beyond groceries. Look at this Amex card instead: (link to other finder report)
- Recommended credit range of 700 to 850.
Are you a frugal spender whose largest weekly expenditure is groceries? American Express may have had you in mind when it designed Plenti, a card offering one of the highest reward rates for supermarket spending.
You’ll get 3x points at supermarkets, 2x points for restaurant bills and 1x point for other eligible purchases. Redeem these points for discounts at AT&T, Macy’s, Enterprise, Hulu and more.
|Product Name||Plenti® Credit Card from Amex|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||15.9925.99% Intro APR for 60 days of account opening (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||15.99% to 25.99% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||15.99% to 25.99% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.24% variable|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.7% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Good (700-739)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Over The Credit Line Fee||$0|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Rewards Program||American Express Rewards|
|Bonus Points on Sign-up||5,000|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||3|
This card is a smart choice for grocery shoppers who want the maximum value for their spending. In addition to 3x points on all supermarket purchases, you can also enjoy 2x points on all restaurant bills and 1x points for all other eligible purchases.
- 0% intro APR. After 12 months, the APR reverts to a variable rate of 15.99% to 25.99% variable.
- Great value for supermarket purchases. Get 3x points for every dollar spent at grocery stores for redemption at any Plenti affiliate.
You’ll also like …
- 2x rewards points at restaurants
- 1x reward points everywhere else
- Third-party return protection, roadside assistance and express shipping
What to watch out for
While the card is a good deal if used responsibly, it comes with severe penalties and interest rates for late or returned payments. The rewards program also limits how many points you can accrue and where you can apply them.
- Annual fee. You’ll pay $0 p.a. a year to use this card.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with a penalty APR as high as 29.99%. You could also pay late and returned-payment fees as high as $38.
- Limit on supermarket points. After you reach $6,000 at supermarkets, your reward rate decreases to 1x point until year end.
- Limited redemption options. Use your points only at AT&T, BILO, Exxon, Harvey’s, Macy’s, Mobil, Rite Aid, Winn Dixie, Nation Wide, Chili’s, Direct Energy, Enterprise, Expedia and Hulu.
Compare other American Express credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Plenti Credit Card by American Express, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A legal resident of the US.
You’ll need to submit personal and financial information that includes:
- Your full name and personal contact information.
- Proof of stable employment.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Plenti Credit Card by American Express if you apply with an excellent credit score of 700 or higher. You could get approved with credit scores as low as 700.
How to apply for the card
- Locate the Plenti Credit Card on the American Express website and click Apply Now.
- Complete the application and click Continue.
- Agree to the terms by clicking Agree & Submit Application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit approval is automated on the website, you may get a decision on your application within 60 seconds.
I got the card. Now what?
- Making payments. Register your online account with American Express to pay your balance online.
- Setting up automatic payments. Never miss another payment again by enrolling in autopay.
- Avoiding interest payments. At the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. According to J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer service. Call 800-528-4800 or use thier secured online chat.
The Plenti Credit Card by American Express offers grocery shoppers great value with its Plenti rewards program. If you don’t shop a lot at supermarkets or with Plenti’s partners, however, you may want to look into other cards.