Review: Kohl's Credit Card
The Kohl's Credit Card offers consistent store discounts and no annual fee.
- Get this card if you shop at Kohl’s regularly.
- Pick something else if you’re not a frequent Kohl’s shopper.
- Recommended fair to excellent credit range of 580 to 850.
Minimum Credit Score
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
Kohl’s deploys multiple promotions to keep customers coming back, such as the Kohl’s Cash and Yes2You programs. The company also offers the Kohl's Credit Card, which you can use only at its department stores and website.
Beyond offering fairly easy credit, the Kohl's Credit Card is light on perks. However, it does bring heavy discounts to the table: You’ll get 25% off your first order and then another 15% when your card arrives in the mail. After that you’ll get 12 discount offers every year.
If you spend $600 or more in a year on your Kohl's Credit Card, you’ll receive six more discounts per year. Of course, none of this means anything if you’re not a Kohl’s regular — but it’s probably music to your ears if you’re a loyal shopper at the store.
How to apply for the Kohl's Credit Card
To apply for the Kohl's Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old. To apply, simply follow these steps:
1. Go to the Kohl’s website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application with your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
3. Click Submit when you’ve filled out all required information.
Because conditional credit card approval is automated on the website, you’ll often get a decision within 60 seconds. It may take a few weeks for your card to arrive. In the meantime, you can ask a Kohl’s associate for a temporary card.
What credit score do I need?
Store cards typically have fairly lenient credit requirements. You’ll have a good chance of being approved with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher. However, you’ll likely be approved with a fair credit score of between 580 and 680.
Kohl's Credit Card benefits
- Signup bonus. Get an extra 25% off your first purchase on your Kohl’s Charge account. Also, get a 15% discount when you receive your card in the mail.
- Discounts. Each year, you’ll receive 12 discounts to apply to your purchases.
- Combine rewards with your Kohl's Credit Card. Use Yes2You Rewards and Kohl’s Cash with your Kohl’s Charge discounts.
- Become a Most Valued Customer. Spend at least $600 with your Kohl's Credit Card, and you’ll become a Most Valued Customer (MVC). MVCs receive 18 or more discounts a year.
Kohl's Credit Card drawbacks
- Late payment fees. Making late or returned payments could result in fees as high as $40.
- Penalty APR for late payments. If you pay late just once, you could be subject to a penalty APR of 29.74% fixed.
- Limited acceptance. You can only use the card at Kohl’s stores and the Kohl’s website.
Save more at Kohl’s
Kohl’s almost always has markdowns and flash sales across its site and in stores, with the biggest savings coming in for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Holiday deals sometimes start as early as the first week of November, with savings getting better and better as Thanksgiving nears.
If you’re shopping in-store and forgot to bring your coupon, pull it up on your mobile device or ask at the checkout counter.
The Kohl's Credit Card isn’t packed with features, but it offers consistent store discounts throughout the year. If there’s another store you’re more interested in, compare other retail credit cards.