Earn up to 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants while paying no annual fees.
- Get this card if… you spend on gas and eating out regularly and want to pay no annual fees.
- Pick something else if…you want a better earn rate or travel rewards.
- Good to excellent credit score of 690 to 850 recommended.
This Discover it Chrome card offers 2% cash back on gas and restaurant spending for up to $1,000 on purchases every quarter. As a bonus, Discover will match your earned points at the end of the first year, giving you bonus cash back. You’ll also save on interest for the first 14 months with no APR, and pay no annual fees for the life of the card.
The nuts and bolts
|Product name||Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card|
|Recommended credit score range||680–850 (good to excellent)|
|Purchase APR||11.99%–23.99% variable|
|Intro purchase APR||0% for 14 months, 11.99%–23.99% variable thereafter|
|Intro balance transfer APR||0% for 14 months, 11.99%–23.99% variable thereafter|
|Balance transfer fee||3% of the transferred amount|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Cash advance rate||25.99%|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$0 in the first instance, up to $37 thereafter|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $37|
|Maximum credit limit||None|
|Minimum interest charge||$.50|
- No annual fees. You’ll pay no annual fees for the life of the card.
- Earning cash back. This card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined spending each quarter. You’ll earn 1% cash back on everyday purchases.
- Bonus cash back. Discover will match the cash back you earn at the end of the first year.
- Redeeming cash back. You may redeem your cash back anytime, for any amount, to be deposited into your bank account, to be used as a donation to a charity, to be spent on Amazon.com or toward eCertificates and gift cards.
- Intro APR offer. The intro 0% APR offer on purchases applies for the first 14 months from account opening. For balance transfers, the offer stays in place for 14 months from the date of the first transfer.
You’ll also like…
- No foreign transaction fees. You’ll pay no foreign transaction fees when you use this card outside of the US.
- Free access to FICO score. You’ll get to view your FICO credit score on your billing statement for free every month. You may also view it online.
- Safety and security. Discover protects you from unauthorized purchases and identity theft. If your card is stolen or lost, you can freeze your account using Discover’s website or mobile app, and you may get your card replaced the next day.
What to watch out for
- End of intro APR offer. You’ll pay interest on all outstanding balances once the 14 month APR is up. Your rate depends on your credit score.
- Fees and penalties. You’ll pay for balance transfers, cash advances and up to $37 for late or returned payments.
Consider other cards if …
- You plan to use it outside of the US. Discover cards aren’t as accepted outside of the US. If you’re considering using your credit card internationally, Visa and Mastercard cards are a better choice.
- You want better rewards. Some cards offer better category-specific earn rates. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card comes with 3x points on travel and dining, the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard offers 3x points on purchases made with Virgin and the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card lets you earn 3x points on airfare.
What to know before you apply
You may apply for the Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card if you’re:
- At least 18 years old.
- A citizen or permanent resident of the US.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide:
- Your full name, Social Security number and personal contact details.
- Housing status and monthly rent or mortgage payment.
- Employment status and gross annual income from all sources.
What credit score do I need?
Your application’s chances of approval increase if you have a credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the card
1. On the Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card website, click Apply Now.
2. Provide your complete name and pick a card design.
3. Complete the application by providing the required details.
4. Verify if the information is correct and click Submit Application.
How long will it take to be approved?
You’ll find out about your application’s conditional approval almost as soon as you submit it online.
I got the card. Now what?
- Avoid interest. Make sure that you understand when your intro APR expires. Paying off your outstanding balances from purchases and balance transfers before this happens can help you avoid unnecessary interest.
- Customer service. For support call 877-587-1605, use the online chat platform, connect via Twitter @Discover or Facebook @Discover.
This no-annual-fee card with up to 2% cash back may work well if you regularly spend on gas and dining out. If you want a more robust rewards card, you may want to compare your options.