Earn up to 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants while paying no annual fees.
- Get this card if… you spend on gas and eating out regularly and want to pay no annual fees.
- Pick something else if… you want a better earn rate or travel rewards.
- Recommended credit range to apply: 680–850 (good to excellent)
|Product Name||Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||13.74% to 24.74% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR||0% for the first 14 months (then 13.74% to 24.74% variable)|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first 14 months (then 13.74% to 24.74% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.74% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Reward Value per Dollar||1% cash back|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
Let’s get this out of the way: Other cards offer better rewards than the Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card.
- Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card offers 2% cash back on gas and dining, but other cards can take you to 3% or 4%.
- The 2% cash back is only applied to $1,000 in purchases each quarter — a fairly low cap considering the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card’ limit is $2,500 per quarter.
That said, the Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card is still an attractive, well-rounded product. That’s because it’s a no-annual-fee card with cash back and a solid 0% APR period of 14 months (then 13.74% to 24.74% variable APR). Not many low-interest cards can make the same claim.
ANNUAL FEE: None.
A $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card long term.
REWARDS: 2% cash back on gas and dining.
Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. You’ll earn 1% cash back on all other purchases.
INTRO APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months.
This is a strong introductory APR that makes the card a lot more valuable. Fourteen months is a long time for 0% interest, landing the Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card against some of the top balance transfer cards on the market. Remember the APR reverts to 13.74% to 24.74% variable after the intro period ends.
You’ll also like…
- Cash back match at the end of your first year. At the end of your first card year, Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card matches all the cash back you’ve earned. It’s a welcome bonus. However, the Discover it® Cash Back offers an even more exciting match on its 5% cash back in rotating categories.
- First late fee waived. The first time you pay late, Discover waives your late fee. It’s a nice perk not offered by most banks. Just be careful not to pay late again, as you’ll pay a fee of up to $37.
- No foreign transaction fees. You’ll pay no foreign transaction fees when you use this card outside of the US.
- Free access to FICO score. You’ll get to view your FICO credit score on your billing statement for free every month. You may also view it online.
- Safety and security. Discover protects you from unauthorized purchases and identity theft. If your card is stolen or lost, you can freeze your account using Discover’s website or mobile app, and you may get your card replaced the next day.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What to watch out for
- High cash advance costs. Cash advances come with 26.74% variable APR and a fee of either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance.
- Potentially high APR. The card’s APR spans from 13.74% to 24.74% variable. If you have a weaker credit history, you might be approved for an interest rate at the higher end of that range. With APRs averaging around 16%, 24.74% variable is high.
Consider other cards if…
- You plan to use it outside of the US. Discover cards aren’t as accepted outside of the US. If you’re considering using your credit card internationally, Visa and Mastercard cards are a better choice.
- You want better rewards. The Chase Sapphire Reserve® comes with 3x points on travel and dining, the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® offers 1.5x points on purchases made with Virgin and the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express lets you earn 3x points on airfare.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application you’ll need to provide:
- Your full name and personal contact details.
- Your residential status including monthly rent or mortgage payment.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for this card if you apply with a credit score of 680 or higher.
How to apply for the card
1. On the Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card website, click Apply Now.
2. Fill in your name and pick a card design. Then click Continue.
3. Complete the application by providing the required details.
4. Verify the information is correct and click Submit Application.
How long will it take to be approved?
You’ll find out about your application’s conditional approval almost as soon as you submit it online.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the Discover website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. Make sure that you understand when your intro APR expires. Paying off your outstanding balances from purchases and balance transfers before this happens can help you avoid unnecessary interest.
- Avoid fees. Discover will waive your first late-payment fee, but subsequent late payments come with fees of up to $37. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. For support call 800-347-2683, use the online chat platform, connect via Twitter @Discover or Facebook @Discover.
Other cards offer better rewards, and the cash back match leaves a bit to be desired given the card’s 2% maximum cash back.
However, it’s tough to go wrong with the Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card. It has solid rewards, no annual fee and a strong intro APR, making it a well-rounded option.