Discover it® Chrome for Students review
Generous rewards from one of the top student cards on the market.
- Get this card if you want limited-time bonuses and rewards for spending.
- Pick something else if you have poor credit.
- Apply with a credit score of 580 or higher. You’re welcome to apply with no credit history.
Intro Purchase APR
for the first 6 months (then 14.49% to 23.49% variable)
Intro Balance Transfer
for the first 6 months (then 14.49% to 23.49% variable)
14.49% to 23.49%
Balance Transfer APR (variable)
|Product Name||Discover it® Chrome for Students|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 6 months (then 14.49% to 23.49% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||10.99% intro for the first 6 months (then 14.49% to 23.49% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||3%|
|Cash advance rate||26.49% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $39|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $39|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order and expertly navigate the cutting-edge financial tools available -- including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
Searching for your first credit card can be overwhelming. But you can rest easy with Discover it® Chrome for Students, as it’s one of the best student cards on the market.
It’s a solid choice for its rewards alone, which outpace those offered by competitors. Elevated rewards on gas and dining are a nice touch, and the card’s Good Grades Reward and first-year cashback match are also generous.
Though the card’s intro purchase APR is tempting, consider starting off on the right foot and paying off your balances in full each month to build good spending habits early.
What’s the difference between Discover it® Student Cash Back and Discover it® Chrome for Students?
- Discover it® Chrome for Students offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter, after which you’ll earn 1%.
- Meanwhile, Discover it® Student Cash Back offers 5% cash back in quarterly rotating categories on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter, after which you’ll earn 1%. These may include gas stations, wholesale clubs, restaurants, home improvement stores, Amazon.com and more.
With both cards, you’ll earn at least 1% cash back on everything you buy.
Picking the right card depends on your tastes. If you go out a lot, Discover it® Chrome for Students will give you solid cash back. If you don’t, the Discover it® Student Cash Back’s rotating categories may give you more chances to earn accelerated rewards.
Also consider your willingness to keep track of rotating categories. If you like fresh cashback options, the Discover it® Student Cash Back could be for you. Otherwise, you might prefer the consistency of Discover it® Chrome for Students.
- Annual fee: None.
A $0 annual fee goes a long way for a tight budget.
- Limited-time bonuses: Cashback match and Good Grades Reward.
At the end of your first year, Discover will match all the cash back you’ve earned. And for the next five years, you’ll earn a $20 statement credit each school year you receive a 3.0 GPA or higher. These are generous additions, especially because many student cards don’t offer signup bonuses.
Combine these perks and your card could pay off handsomely. To get the most value out of them, consider paying off your card balance each month to avoid accruing interest.
- Rewards: Cash back on all purchases.
Earn 2% cash back on gas and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter and 1% thereafter. Earn 1% cash back on everything else.
Redeem cash back for electronic deposits to your bank account, charitable donations or payment for Amazon.com purchases. If you have at least $20 cash back, you can redeem it for instant eCertificates or gift cards from Discover partners.
- Intro APR for purchases: 0% for 6 months.
After that, your APR will be 14.49% to 23.49% variable. Few student cards offer intro APRs, so this is a nice benefit. It also might help if you need to make essential purchases for the school year.
You’ll need to pay off the purchases eventually, and six months will end sooner than you think. That said, consider only spending an amount you’re confident you can pay off before your intro APR expires.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Discover it® Chrome for Students?
|Where you spend:||The amount you spend:||Cash back earned:|
You would earn $140 per year with a budget similar to this. But for the first year, you would earn $280 with the Discover it Cashback Match — which doubles the cash back you earn during your first year.
And if your GPA is 3.0 or higher, you add $20 more to your rewards for the first five consecutive school years.
You’ll also like …
- Intro APR for balance transfers: 10.99% variable for 6 months from the date of your first transfer.
After this period expires, your balance transfer APR will revert to 14.49% to 23.49% variable.
This is a much lower APR than you’d normally get with other cards. However, it isn’t a good intro rate — ideally, you’d want a 0% intro APR.
Try to avoid balance transfers, as they don’t come with interest grace periods. You’ll start paying interest on them right away. Plus, you’ll need to pay balance transfer fees.
- No foreign transaction fees.
This is an excellent card to take on a summer trip or for studying abroad. You won’t pay transaction fees when you use your card abroad or on a foreign website.
- Discover account benefits.
Freeze your account any time via the Discover mobile app if you lose your card. Also, check your FICO credit score for free via your mobile app, online account or monthly statements.
- Cardholder-friendly policies.
The first time you pay late, you won’t be assessed late-fee charges. On subsequent late payments, you may be assessed fees up to $39.
If you happen to spend over your credit limit, you won’t be charged an overlimit fee.
What to watch out for
- It hurts to pay late.
Your first late fee is waived, but making subsequent late payments will result in fees as high as $39. Returned payments come with fees as high as $39.
- Expiration on intro APRs.
Your 0% purchase APR expires after 6 months, and your 10.99% variable balance transfer APR expires 6 months after your first transfer. Consider paying off your balances before the end of your intro APR periods.
- Higher APR for cash advances.
Cash advances come with a high APR of 26.49% variable. Like balance transfers, they don’t have an interest grace period. Financial experts widely view cash advances as unwise, so avoid these transactions if you can.
- Fees for balance transfers and cash advances.
You’ll pay a 3% fee for each balance transfer. For cash advances, you’ll pay $10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for Discover it® Chrome for Students, you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or resident. You must also be a college student.
Information you’ll need
- Full name, address and contact information
- Total annual gross income, monthly housing payment and total available assets
- Social Security number and mother’s maiden name
- School information, your degree type and your expected graduation date
Getting a credit card when you’re under 21
If you’re under 21, you must prove that you have enough income to repay your credit card debt. Usually, you can only report personal income like wages and allowances, scholarships and grants. If you can’t prove sufficient income, you can ask someone over 21 if you can become an authorized user on their account.
What credit score do I need?
You’re welcome to apply for this card if you’re new to credit. Your approval odds will increase if you already have a good credit score of 670 or higher.
What do customers say about Discover it® Chrome for Students?
Some customers say they’ve received automatic credit limit increases after several months. Happy customers also say they’ve found Discover support to be quick and helpful.
Discover has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and it’s been accredited by the agency since 1989. As of this writing, it has almost 900 customer complaints. Many of the details aren’t published because, according to the BBB, Discover has resolved or answered most of the complaints.
How to apply for Discover it® Chrome for Students
- Go to the Discover website and click Apply now.
- Enter your name and pick a card design.
- Complete the application form with your address, contact information and income information.
- Continue filling out the application form with your mother’s maiden name, school information, checking and savings account information and school mailing address.
How long will it take to get my Discover it® Chrome for Students?
You’ll likely receive a decision immediately after you apply. If there are issues with your application, you may have to wait up to a few weeks for a decision. If you’re approved, expect to receive the card within seven to 10 days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download Discover Mobile app. Use the app to activate your card, make payments, check your FICO® score, freeze or unfreeze your account and more.
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the Discover website, where you can also enroll in automatic bill pay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance and at least 23 days for billing periods that begin in February. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. You won’t pay a fee the first time you pay late. However, subsequent late payments come with hefty fees of up to $39. For each returned payment, you’ll pay a fee of up to $39. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you need help, contact Discover through live chat or by calling 1-800-DISCOVER.
How do I redeem rewards from Discover it® Chrome for Students?
You can either log in to your online Discover Card account or call 800-347-2683 to redeem your Discover rewards. Your options include:
- Gift cards with a $5 bonus
- Pay at Amazon.com checkout with your rewards
- Donate to charity
- Deposit cash back into your bank account or use toward your Discover card bill
Compare Discover it® Chrome for Students with other cards
Bottom lineDiscover it® Chrome for Students is an excellent first credit card. It’s loaded with features you’ll like as a student, including cashback rewards, healthy limited-time bonuses and lenient card terms.
To compare a few more products before making your decision, check out other student cards to find the best one for you.