Earn unlimited miles on everything you buy and get a generous signup bonus.
- Get this card if you want to earn 2x miles on everyday purchases.
- Pick something else if you want an intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 750 or higher.
|Product Name||Venture® from Capital One®|
|Annual Fee||$0 annual fee for the first year ($95 thereafter)|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||14.74%, 21.24% or 24.74% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%|
|Cash Advance Rate||24.74% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months|
|Reward Value per Dollar||2 miles|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
The Venture® from Capital One® is a travel card with a simple rewards structure. You’ll earn miles on everything you buy and you’ll get five times more miles for bookings through the Hotels.com Venture site.
Every mile you redeem for travel is equal to one cent, meaning that your reward return rate can be anywhere from 2% to 10% depending on how you earn your points. Furthermore, you get a generous signup bonus and Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credits.
Get a 50,000-mile bonus — equal to $500 in travel purchases — when you spend $3,000 or more in the first three months of card membership.
Earn 10x miles on purchases from the Hotels.com Venture site until January 31, 2020, and an unlimited 2 miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases.
Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit.
Get a $100 statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck when you pay with your card. You’ll get this credit once every four years.
How can I redeem the miles I earn?
- Pay for past purchases. With a feature called Purchase Eraser, you can redeem miles for bookings you made within the last 90 days. To do so, log on to your Capital One account or call the rewards center and get a statement credit for the amount you spent.
- Redeem for travel. Log on to your Capital One account or call the rewards center to book your flight, hotel or car rental with your miles. For travel booking, 100 miles are worth $1.
- Non-travel redemption. You’re not limited to using miles on travel purchases. You can also get cash back in the form of a check or statement credit, merchandise or gift cards. For non-travel redemption, 100 miles are worth around $0.5.
You’ll also like …
No foreign transaction fees.
When you travel abroad and you use your card, you won’t pay any fees. Other cards have up to 3% fee for each foreign transaction.
No penalty APR.
Most cards come with a penalty APR of up to 30% when you make a single late or returned payment, and it can last indefinitely. But with this card, you’ll only pay a fee.
Visa Signature benefits.
Get benefits such as 24/7 Visa concierge service, auto rental insurance, extended warranties, emergency card replacement and more.
High minimum credit line.
Your credit line depends on multiple factors, but the minimum credit line you’ll get with this card is $5,000. This is considerably higher when compared to other cards where the minimum credit line varies from $500 to $2,000.
What to watch out for
After your free intro year, you’ll pay an annual fee of $95 to use the card. This means you’ll need to spend $4,750 on everyday purchases or $950 on the Hotels.com Venture site to offset the annual fee.
Potentially high APR.
If you don’t have an excellent credit score, you may end up with an APR on the higher end of 24%. Considering the average APR is around 16%, this is relatively high. But if you pay your balance in full and on time you won’t have to worry about it.
No intro APR period.
This card has no intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers. If that’s what you’re looking for, look for another card.
Consider other cards if …
You want a similar card from another bank.
The Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard® or the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card could be decent alternatives to consider. You’ll get to earn points on your purchases that you can then redeem for travel rewards.
Another cool travel card you could consider is the no-annual-fee PenFed Pathfinder Rewards American Express® Card where you get to earn more points on your purchases, plus you get $100 credit for TSA application and $100 annual air travel credit. You also get a long intro APR period on balance transfers, and one of the lowest APRs on purchases and balance transfers after that.
You want cash back.
You can get unlimited 1.5% back on everything you buy with the Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Rewards card. A similar card with 1.5% cash back on all purchases is the PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature® Card. With this card you can bump that rate up to 2% back if you’re a PenFed Honors Advantage member.
Alternatively, if you mostly spend on groceries and gas, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express could be a great choice for you. Dining, travel, online purchases and Uber rides can score you better points with the Uber Visa Card.
You want intro APR period.
The U.S. U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card offers one of the longest intro APR periods on balance transfers and purchases you can get. You may also want to check out the Citi Simplicity® Card or the BB&T Bright® Credit Card.
Compare other Capital One credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
Apply for the card if you’re a US citizen or permanent resident of the US and you’re at least 18 years old.
You’ll need to fill out personal details, including:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
- Your financial information including employment and annual income.
During the application process you can choose whether you want to make a balance transfer, and you can opt to receive further communications in Spanish if that’s your preferred language.
What credit score do I need?
Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 or higher. An excellent credit score of 750 or higher will greatly increase your chances of approval. A higher score will also land you with a lower APR and a better credit limit.
What do customers say about the Venture® from Capital One®?
Most customers love the Purchase Eraser perk, the flat 2% return they get on all purchases and they especially love the high credit line they received. The negative feedback revolves around the high APR that some customers received — but if you pay on time, this shouldn’t be a problem.
Capital One gets an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, which accredited the bank in 1995.
How do I apply for the Venture® from Capital One®?
- Go to the Capital One website and find the Venture® from Capital One® card from the list of travel cards. Click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form with your personal and financial details.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Venture® from Capital One® Rewards Credit Card?
Due to its automated preapproval process, Capital One usually makes a decision within 60 seconds. In some cases, it may take up to 10 business days.
Upon approval, expect your card and welcome materials to arrive within 7 to 10 business days.
I received the card. Now what?
- Download Capital One Mobile app. Use it to pay your bills or send money to friends and family. Furthermore, you can monitor your card activity or redeem rewards through the app.
- Pay on time. Try to pay your balance by your due date — a minimum of 25 days after the close of each billing cycle — to avoid paying late fees and interest.
- Customer service. Call 1-800-227-4825 if you have any questions and Capital One’s customer service will help you out.
If you travel often and spend more than $10,000 per year with your card, this can be a good pick for you. You’ll get to earn miles on every purchase you make — plus you’ll earn five times more miles on purchases from the Hotels.com Venture website, which equals 10% back in travel redemption.
Not quite what you’re looking for? Feel free to check out other travel rewards cards and compare your options before deciding which card to pick.