Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business review
Earn 1.5x miles on all spending with this no-annual-fee card.
finder.com’s rating: 4.1 / 5
- Get this card if you want travel benefits and a simple rewards structure — all for no annual fee.
- Pick something else if you want cash back or a larger signup bonus.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Miles as welcome offer
Up to 5x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 9 months (then 13.99%, 19.99% or 23.99% variable)
|Welcome Offer||20,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months|
|Rewards||5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through Capital One Travel℠ and 1.5x miles on all other purchases|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 9 months (then 13.99%, 19.99% or 23.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||13.99%, 19.99% or 23.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Leah Fallon is an editor with more than 10 years of teaching under her belt. She's written feature pieces for regional print and digital media. When she's not helping people with their finances, you can find her wrangling her two sprightly girls or running the trails of Virginia.
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business has a simple appeal: You’ll earn 5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through Capital One Travel and 1.5x miles on all other spending. The card’s signup bonus leaves something to be desired, however: You’ll earn 20,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. While this is only about $200 in travel purchases, it’s still a bit generous considering the card has a $0 annual fee.
This is a Mastercard, meaning international travelers will enjoy worldwide acceptance. You can also save money on purchases made abroad or at foreign merchants online with 0% foreign transaction fees. Additional Mastercard travel perks include car rental insurance and a variety of travel assistance.
How to apply for the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. If you have a healthy business and excellent credit, your likelihood of approval is strong.
Here are a few other factors that might affect your odds of approval:
- Hard pulls on your credit report. If you have several hard inquiries — or hard pulls — on your report, it could imply you’re having trouble managing your debt. Capital One might think you’re desperate for credit and may be less likely to take you on as a customer.
- Factors that tie into your credit score. Your credit utilization is a major factor Capital One considers. Customers with low balances relative to their credit limit are generally preferred. Having many new card accounts may be a red flag too, as it could indicate you’re desperate for credit. It may also give the impression that you’re a flighty customer who’s just hunting for signup bonuses.
- No annual fee. When expenses are tight, rest easy knowing you won’t pay an annual fee for the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business. You can get the card and keep it long term without feeling pressured to offset its cost with rewards. Many business credit cards come with annual fees. In that regard, the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business’s $0 annual fee stands out.
- Rewards. You’ll earn 5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through Capital One Travel℠. On all other purchases you make with your card, you’ll earn 1.5 miles per dollar you spend. This flat rate is attractive if you don’t want to keep track of multiple reward tiers, or your spending is spread over different categories. You can redeem your miles for statement credit or for flights, hotels, car rentals and more through Capital One’s Rewards Center. There’s no minimum to redeem your miles.
- Signup bonus. When you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months, you’ll earn 20,000 miles. According to Capital One, that’s worth $200 toward travel. This is a low signup bonus compared to other business credit cards. Still, most business credit cards with great signup bonuses also come with annual fees.
- Intro APR on purchases. For the first 9 months after opening your card, you’ll receive a 0% intro APR on purchases. After that, you’ll receive a variable purchase APR of 13.99%, 19.99% or 23.99% depending on your credit.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t incur fees when you use your card abroad or on international sites. Typically, providers charge a 3% fee each time you use your card for an international transaction. It doesn’t sound like much, but it can add up over a trip spanning several days. Since the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business comes with no foreign transaction fees, it’s an excellent choice for vacations or business trips.
- Add employee cards at no cost. You can add employees to your card account and earn rewards on their spending.
- Travel benefits. When you rent an eligible car with your Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business, the vehicle is covered against collision or theft. Also, get access to Mastercard emergency services like legal or medical referrals, ticket replacement and other forms of travel assistance.
- Purchase security and extended protection. Eligible items you buy with Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business are covered against theft or accidental loss. You can also enjoy extended warranties on eligible items to further protect your business’s assets.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. Your ongoing APR for purchases and balance transfers could be as high as 23.99% variable depending on your credit.
- No intro APR for balance transfers. The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business offers a 0% intro APR for purchases only.
- Penalty APR. If you make a late payment, Capital One may raise your purchase, balance transfer and cash advance APR to 29.4% variable. This is known as a penalty APR. Capital One may apply this rate to your account indefinitely.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A resident of the US or a US military location.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information about yourself and your business, including:
- Your name, residential status and residential address.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth.
- Financial information like your annual income and source of income.
- The name of your business, its mailing address and its employee count.
- Your years in business and annual business revenue.
- Your tax identification number.
Compare business credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Compare Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business with other cards
What size business is the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business good for?
The no-annual-fee Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business can be a good choice for businesses of all sizes. Because it offers 5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings through Capital One Travel℠ and 1.5x miles on all other purchases, it’s probably most effective if your business spends on travel in addition to a variety of other categories.
If your business has a high volume of spending in specific categories, you might earn more rewards from a different card. For example, the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card offers 1x points in categories like travel, shipping purchases and select online advertising on up to $150,000 in combined purchases each card year, then 3x points after that. And if you take a lot of business flights, you might like an airline credit card.
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business reviews and complaints
Customers typically like the rewards they earn, saying the card is a good choice for small businesses. Some cardholders say they were approved for high credit limits, which made it easier for them to complete business purchases.
The Better Business Bureau has accredited Capital One with a rating of A as of October 2020. However, it sports a 1.13 out of 5 when it comes to a customer rating from an average of nearly 500 reviews. It fares little better on Trustpilot, earning a 1.4 rating out of 5 as of October 2020.
I got the card. Now what?
- Track your spending. Monitor your spending and payments online 24/7.
- Avoid fees. Avoid late fees of up to $39 by setting up automatic payments for billing statements.
- Earn more rewards with your employees’ help. Earn extra rewards by adding employees to your card account as authorized users.
- Contact customer service. Call Capital One at 800-867-0904 or by signing in to your Capital One account online if you run into any issues with your card.
The Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business keeps things simple with accelerated rewards through Capital One Travel℠ and unlimited 1.5x miles on all other purchases. It’s a solid pick if you want a no-frills card that rewards a variety of spending.
If you’re not convinced this is the card for your business, compare your options using our guide to business credit cards.
Frequently asked questions about the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
If I qualify for the signup bonus, when will I receive my miles?
Capital One will credit the miles to your rewards balance within two billing cycles.
How do I get additional cards for my employees?
Call the number on the back of your card to request cards for your employees.
How safe is it to send my information to Capital One online?
Capital One encrypts your information to protect your banking and business details from third parties.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.