Get up to 1.25% cash back with responsible spending with this no-fee card designed for students.
- Get this card if… you are looking for an intro credit card with cash back and rewards for responsible spending.
- Pick something else if…you’re a veteran cardholder or looking for more robust rewards or features.
If you’re new to the credit card market, Capital One’s Journey Student Rewards Card is designed for you. Featuring low fees, a standard cash back reward and tools that can help you build credit, the Journey Student Card is perfect for young adults under 22 years old.
The nuts and bolts
|Product name||Journey Student Credit Card|
|Issuing bank||Capital One|
|Purchase APR||24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||24.99% variable|
|Balance transfer fee||N/A|
|Foreign transaction fee||$0|
|Cash advance rate||24.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 3% of each transaction, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||Up to $35|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $35|
|Maximum credit limit||Varies|
|Minimum interest charge||$0.50|
This Capital One Journey Student Rewards Card is a solid choice if you’ve never owned a credit card before.
- 1% cash back. Get 1% cash back on all spending, increasing to 1.25% back if you pay off your statement on time.
- CreditWise from Capital One. Access your credit score and monitoring tools to keep your financial future on track.
- Visa Platinum Benefits. Enjoy 24-hour travel assistance, extended warranties, auto rental insurance, travel accident insurance and more as a Visa cardholder.
- Graduate to higher credit. Make your first five payments on time to graduate to a higher line of credit.
You’ll also like …
- $0 annual fee. You’ll pay nothing over its lifetime to own this card.
- No foreign transaction fees. If you’re studying — or merely playing — abroad, you can avoid the high foreign transaction fees of other cards.
What to watch out for
- High interest. The card comes with a 24.99% APR, so strive to pay off your card balance each month.
- Fees for late and returned payments. Avoid stiff fees of up to $35 by keeping on top of your payments.
Consider other cards if …
- You’re looking for more generous rewards. This card is designed as a low-frills card for those who are new to credit. If you’re a credit veteran or looking for more robust rewards, look elsewhere.
What should I know before I apply?
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
To apply for the Capital One Student Rewards Credit Card, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A US citizen or legal resident.
You’ll need to submit personal and financial information that includes:
- Your full name and personal contact information.
- Proof of stable employment.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
How to apply for the card
1. Locate the Journey Student Rewards Credit Card on Capital One’s site and click Apply Now. 2. Complete the application with your personal, contact and financial information. Specify whether you’d like to add an authorized buyer, and click Continue. 3. Continue through the remaining required steps, and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Capital One automates conditional credit approval online, which means that you could see a decision on your application in minutes.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. By registering your account with Capital One, you can manage your spending, see how close you are to rewards and stay on top of payments 24/7.
- Avoid unnecessary interest. At the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Avoid hefty fees of up to $35 for late and returned payments with autopay.
- Customer service. Visit Capital One’s customer service section or call 1-877-383-4802 for support.
If you’re new to the world of credit cards, this student card offers rewards and tools that can reward you for responsible spending.