Journey Student Rewards from Capital One review
Get up to 1.25% cash back with this no-annual-fee card designed for students.
finder.com’s rating: 3.9 / 5
- Get this card if you’re looking to build your credit and earn cash back.
- Pick something else if you want higher cash back or an intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
- Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher, or with limited credit history.
Up to 5%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Rewards||1% cash back on all your purchases. Pay on time to boost your cash back to a total of 1.25% for that month. Also earn 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel (terms apply)|
|Purchase APR||28.49% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||28.49% variable|
|Minimum Credit Score||580|
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
The Journey Student Rewards from Capital One is a straightforward student card with a few additional niceties not often found on other student cards. It comes with a $0 annual fee, up to 1.25% cash back on all purchases and 0% foreign transaction fees, which could save you money if you often travel abroad. New to the card is the ability to earn 5% back on hotels and car rentals booked through Capital One Travel.
Most importantly, Capital One also reports your credit activity to all three major credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion — and you get free access to your credit score through the CreditWise app, which allows you to monitor your credit-building progress. And after six months of responsible use, Capital One may increase your credit limit.
One small misstep is the card’s APR. As student credit cards go, the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One comes with a slightly higher APR of 28.49% variable, which makes this a subpar card for carrying a balance. But this is hardly an issue provided you’re using this card appropriately and paying off your balance at the end of each month.
How to apply for the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Thanks to its automated preapproval system, Capital One can instantly decide on your application. But in some cases, it may take up to 10 business days. Once you’re approved, your card, credit line and welcome materials will arrive in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
- Select Apply now.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or permanent US resident.
You’ll need to submit personal and financial information that includes:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Date of birth and some form of ID.
- Financial and employment information.
During the application, you may choose to receive payment alerts and can opt to receive further communications in Spanish if it’s your preferred language.
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One benefits
- Cash back. Earn 1% back on everything you buy. Plus, if you pay your balance off before it’s due, it will boost your cash back to 1.25% for the current month. You’ll also earn 5% back on hotels and car rentals booked through Capital One Travel. For some example earnings, suppose you spend $12,000 annually with this card. You could earn $120 with the regular cashback rate. Pay your balance on time, and you could boost your cash back to $150.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay anything to own the card.
- Access to higher credit line. Use your card responsibly for 6 months and Capital One may increase your credit line.
- No Social Security Number required. You only need some form of ID to apply for this card. This makes it a good choice for students studying in the US from abroad who might not have a Social Security Number.
- No foreign transaction fees. If you’re traveling abroad on a student exchange program or if you travel for fun, you’ll avoid paying foreign transaction fees that come with other cards.
- No penalty APR. You’ll only pay fees if you make a late payment. With other cards, you have to worry about a penalty APR of up to 31% that can last indefinitely if you only make a single late payment.
- CreditWise. Access your credit score at any time for free to keep your financial future on track.
- Fraud coverage. Get $0 fraud liability for unauthorized purchases if your card is ever lost or stolen.
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One drawbacks
- High APR. The card comes with a variable APR of 28.49%. Aim to pay off your card balance each month to avoid paying the interest.
- Low minimum credit line. As with many student credit cards, you might get a low credit limit. Your credit limit will be decided based on your credit profile. However, Capital One will automatically review your account and potentially increase your credit limit after 6 months.
- No signup bonus. You won’t get a traditional signup bonus in the first months of card membership.
- No intro APR period. If you’re looking for an intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases, look for another card.
Compare student credit cards
For a better idea of how the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One compares to other secured cards on the market, select up to four cards and click Compare to view their features side-by-side.
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One reviews and complaints
Customers who are happy with the card claim they were instantly approved with limited or no credit history. And most customers claim they quickly built their credit with timely payments. The only complaint some of the customers have is the high APR.
As of December 2020, the Better Business Bureau rates Capital One with an A.
How do I redeem rewards?
Redeem your cash back through your online Capital One account or call the rewards center. Request your reward in the form of:
- Statement credit
- Credit for previous purchases
- Gift cards
If you have a preferred method of claiming your cash back, set up your automatic preference for either a specific time each year or when a specific threshold — of $25, $50, $100 or $200 — has been reached. Visit our guide to learn more about how the Capital One rewards program works.
If you’re a student and you don’t have any credit history or are trying to rebuild your credit, this could be a decent card for you. You’ll be able to build your credit score and earn cash back without paying an annual fee.
What’s changed with the Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
|07/19/2022||Removed: Streaming credits.|
|05/17/2022||Added: Earn 5% back on hotels or car rentals booked through Capital One Travel.|
Compare Journey Student Rewards from Capital One with other cards
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.