A no-fee card with a simple rewards earning structure.
- Get this card if… you want payment flexibility and a rewards program that can be used on anything.
- Pick something else if… you want more generous rewards.
- Recommended good to excellent credit range of 705 to 850.
|Product Name||Blue from American Express® Card|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||16.49%, 19.49% or 21.49%% Intro APR for within 60 days of account opening (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||16.49%, 19.49% or 21.49% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||16.49%, 19.49% or 21.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.7% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Good (700-739)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Rewards Program||American Express Rewards|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||1|
Do you want a card that allows you to use your points on virtually anything? Do you also want the option to make large purchases on extended credit? American Express designed this card for the everyman like you.
Every dollar you spend with the Blue from American Express Card accrues 1 point. This amounts to 1% credit back on all purchases that can be used on even future charges. The card also gives you the option to carry a balance for longer than month, although it will cost interest.
This no-fee card is a good choice if you’re not in the market for a specialized rewards program.
- Universal rewards. Get 1 point for every dollar spent anywhere.
- Payment flexibility. Carry a balance with interest or pay in full each month.
You’ll also like …
- 2x points on Amex’s travel site. Get bonus points when booking a cruise, flight, hotel and more through Amex.
- Travel protection. The card comes with car rental loss and damage insurance, a global assist hotline and travel accident insurance.
- ShopRunner membership. Get free expedited shipping for purchases at participating online stores.
What to watch out for
While the card is a good deal if used responsibly, it comes with severe penalties and interest rates for late or returned payments. The rewards program is also not as generous as specialized programs, which tend to offer 30% more points or higher per purchase.
- Limited awards. Other cards can offer stronger rewards than 1 point per dollar (or $1 back on your purchases).
- No signup bonus. You won’t get an intro APR or bonus rewards at signup.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could saddle you with a penalty APR as high as 29.99%. You could also pay late and returned-payment fees as high as $38.00.
Compare other American Express credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
To apply for the Blue from American Express, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A U.S. citizen or legal resident of the U.S.
- You’ll need to submit personal and financial information that includes:
- Your full name and personal contact information.
- Proof of stable employment.
- Your date of birth and Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the Blue Credit Card by American Express if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 705 or higher.
How to apply for the card
Locate Blue on the American Express website and click Apply Now.
Complete the application and click Continue.
Agree to the terms by clicking Agree & Submit Application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional credit approval is automated on the website, you may get a decision on your application within 60 seconds.
I got the card — now what?
- Making payments. Register your online account with American Express to pay your balance online.
- Setting up automatic payments. Never miss a payment when you enroll in autopay.
- Avoiding interest payments. At the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Customer service. According to J.D. Power, cardholders give American Express high marks in customer service. Call or email for assistance.
Blue from American Express offers universal rewards and payment flexibility for no annual fee.
If you’re looking for more robust rewards or a specialized rewards program, you may want to look into other cards that could better suit your needs.