Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best reusable water bottles
Stay hydrated, save money and help the planet — all at once.
Updated . What changed?
One million plastic bottles are purchased around the globe every minute, according to The Guardian. Our love affair with plastic is quickly filling up the world’s landfills and oceans, damaging plants and wildlife along the way. In an effort to reduce harmful plastic waste, more and more people are looking for sustainable alternatives like reusable water bottles.
Instead of forking over hard-earned cash to contribute to the world’s growing plastic problem, pick up an eco-friendly water bottle to save the planet — and your budget.
Compare some of the best reusable water bottles
|Name||Average price||Material||Capacity (oz)||What’s included?||Purchase|
|Tervis Slim Carafe With Lid||$25||Stainless steel||25||1 bottle with lid||Buy now|
|S’well Vacuum-Insulated||$39||Stainless steel||25||1 bottle with lid||Buy now|
|Contigo Autoseal Chill Vacuum-Insulated||$21||Stainless steel||24||1 bottle with lid||Buy now|
|Hydro Flask Wide Mouth||$48||Stainless steel||32||1 bottle with straw lid||Buy now|
|Yeti Rambler Bottle||$30||Stainless steel||18||1 bottle with lid||Buy now|
|Ello Syndicate Glass Water Bottle with One-Touch Flip Lid||$15||Glass with silicone sleeve||20||1 bottle with lid, silicone sleeve||Buy now|
|Soma Glass Water Bottle with Silicone Sleeve and Bamboo twist cap||$30||Glass with silicone sleeve||17||1 bottle with lid, silicone sleeve||Buy now|
|Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle||$30||BPA-free silicone||25||1 bottle with lid||Buy now|
Types of reusable water bottles
Reusable water bottles come in a wide range of styles, sizes and materials. Some of the most popular materials include:
- Stainless steel. It’s durable, rust-resistant and doesn’t affect the taste of the liquid inside. Stainless steel water bottles can be pricier, but come in a range of styles and sizes.
- Glass. Like steel, glass does not absorb flavors or odors, so a glass water bottle will keep your drink’s true flavor. This material is also fairly durable, although more breakable than stainless steel. It’s also on the heavier side.
- BPA-free plastic. While these reusable water bottles are generally lightweight and inexpensive, they can scratch more easily than other materials, leaving tiny grooves for bacteria to grow.
- Aluminum. While also lighter and less expensive than some other materials, aluminum has been linked with potential health risks. This material can also hold onto flavors and odors, potentially spoiling the taste of the liquid inside. Some aluminum bottles are lined with plastic to prevent flavor transfer and to lower health risks associated with aluminum.
- Silicone. Some newer models are now made out of silicone, allowing you to collapse and easily store your water bottle when not in use. Silicone water bottles also come in an array of fun colors.
How to compare reusable water bottles
When shopping for a reusable water bottle, consider these important features:
- Price. Reusable water bottles have a wide price range, from around $5 to $50. Generally, plastic and aluminum bottles are on the cheaper end of the spectrum, with stainless steel and glass rounding out the higher end.
- Material. The best material largely depends on your personal preferences and when you plan to use your water bottle the most. If you’ll be walking or jogging with your water bottle, for instance, something that’s light and slip-resistant will come in handy.
- Size. Water bottle sizes are usually measured in ounce capacity. Most options range from 10 to 40 ounces. While larger bottles can obviously hold more liquid, they’ll be heavier to carry when full.
- Easy cleaning. Keeping your water bottle clean is important, but some designs make this task more difficult that others. Consider how wide the mouth of the bottle is and how easily you’ll be able to reach the bottom during cleaning time.
How to clean reusable water bottles
Ideally, water bottles should be cleaned with soap and water after each use. If your bottle is wide enough, you might be able to use a regular dish sponge to clean the entire interior. But if your bottle is too narrow to fit your hand inside, a bottle brush will do the trick.
Some water bottles are dishwasher-safe, while others need to be hand-washed. Check your bottle’s specific cleaning instructions to make sure you don’t ruin it by putting it in the dishwasher if that’s not where it belongs.
A few cleaning tricks to tackle stuck-on messes or particularly challenging bottle designs include:
- Try adding warm water mixed with dishwasher detergent or dish soap to your bottle. Put the cap on or cover the opening with your hand and shake the bottle.
- Make a vinegar and water solution, add it to your water bottle, shake and let it sit overnight to disinfect your bottle. In the morning, rinse thoroughly and place in the dishwasher (if dishwasher-safe).
- Fill your bottle with water and add a water-cleansing tablet, commonly used to clean dentures. Let the tablets dissolve and sit in the bottle for the amount of time as directed on the package, then rinse.
Buying a reusable water bottle helps to save the environment, and it can also help you save heaps on the cost of disposable plastic bottles. There are lots of materials, sizes and styles to choose from, so compare a few of our top picks to help you find the one you like best.
Need an eco-friendly straw to use with your new water bottle? Browse through our guide to buying reusable straws.
How did we choose these products?
We compared the material, price and capacity of popular reusable water bottles to curate our list, taking into account our personal experiences with these products, as well as third-party online reviews.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Where to buy washable, reusable face masks
If you’re looking to invest in a protective face mask, save yourself some cash by purchasing a reusable option from one of these retailers.
Top 10+ made-in-USA toy brands
Gear up for imaginative play with toys made right here in the USA. See our top picks for whimsical toys that support American manufacturing.
Top 25+ made-in-USA grills
Grills, smokers and more built with premium materials and best-in-class design, right here in the USA. We verified every brand on our list of top picks.
Where to buy disinfectant wipes online
Keep your home squeaky clean by stocking up on top-rated surface wipes from one of these retailers.
Top sites to buy bottled water online
Stay hydrated! This is where you can buy bottled water online.
Best Mekong River cruise lines
If the mighty Mekong is calling your name, these top river cruises will get you there.
Reusable homewares to reduce waste
Reduce your carbon footprint by replacing plastic with these handy hacks.
Best reusable coffee cups
Reusable coffee cups are great for the environment, but which are best? We researched and asked our staff, here are our top picks.
Best reusable straws
Help clean up the world’s oceans one sip at a time with safe, durable and downright fun reusable straws.
Compare the best reusable grocery bags
Get a handle on your carbon footprint — eliminate plastic waste one shopping trip at a time.
Ask an Expert